• This topic has 59 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Jobs and retraining – fastest way to 35k pa
  • generallevi
    Free Member

The way forward is to retrain in Fibre Optics which is currently the biggest growth industry and push for jobs that involve testing and commissioning of Fibre Optic networks. Awesome money if you make a good name for yourself.

I am a Fibre Optic Trainer in the RAF and one of only 11 people in the country to hold FIA Trainer status. Check out my new venture here and let us know if you fancy booking a course….

http://www.thefibreschool.com/preview

All the best,

Lee.

DrP

I heard that running a fibre optic school pays well… 😉

DrP

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

If you’ve got head for heights, try the overhead powerlines. Transmission pays about £60k on top and distribution about£40-45k. There’s a chronic shortage of linesmen at the mo in this country. Try balfour beatty , amec or babcock.

The problem is that most people these days either can’t be arsed to do proper work as they think they are entitled to sit on their arses in an office all day…..

generallevi
    Free Member

DrP,

As I said it is a venture and I won’t be earning 35k this year. Have put my life savings into it from 15 yrs in a public service job to make it happen.

If the OP wants a career change that pays well then I can help him to get there,
    However it will be a fair few years before I could wish to be earning the figures he is looking for.

A consequence of going it alone.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Try teaching, is so easy, hardly work, mostly sit around drinking coffee all day, now and then tell a kid to shut up then go home at 1 because you are tired and feeling stressed. Then take a week off self cert and do it all again next week.

It’s so easy I just don’t know why all the stw crew have not re trained already.

hammerite
    Free Member

Anyone suggesting teaching as an easy route…

a) Doesn’t really know what teachers earn (it would take 5-6 years to get to £35k without taking on a TLR).
    b) Doesn’t really understand what a teachers workload is. Especially if they teach a secondary school core subject up to A-level.

jekkyl

yeah but you do get a shed load of holidays, proper sick pay and pension so the benefits are A LOT better than most jobs but teachers seem to moan a lot more about it 😆
    mind you, I couldn’t and wouldn’t want to deal with a classroom full of teenagers, so you have my respect.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

Train driver? Money’s about right, takes a couple of years to get there though.

messiah
    Free Member

According to the adverts on the back of buses in Aberdeen you could be earning that for driving the bus.

ononeorange

Northwind – Member

I took a commonplace skill (financial fannying about) from an industry that undervalues it (banking) and transferred it to an industry that thinks it’s black magic (universities) and therefore overvalues it and pays 50% more for much the same work.

Interesting, Northwind…..when you say “transferred it to the university industry”, do you kind if I ask what exacly you do for them? Are you an accountant?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Is taking time off for a degree an option?

Process/chemical engineering, then get a job in one of the oil and gas opperators (Shell, BP etc), graduate starting salalry is £35-40k.

Just need some aplitude for maths and science.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Open a bike shop… 😕

Air traffic control earn alright.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Northwind – Member
    I took a commonplace skill (financial fannying about) from an industry that undervalues it (banking) and transferred it to an industry that thinks it’s black magic (universities) and therefore overvalues it and pays 50% more for much the same work.

If Universities are paying 50% more than banks we have an even more serious budgetary problem in Education than we all thought.

The Professors I know (top of their respective games) make about £65-£75

hammerite
    Free Member

jekkyl – if I was a teacher I wouldn’t have the time to be typing this on here 😆 The OH is though. The holidays are good, but she spends about 5 weeks of those working anyway – either marking or preparing for the following term. She probably does around 3 hours at home per evening and about 5 hours each weekend on top of a full time table.

So the workload is pretty heavy during term time, with the pay off coming in holidays.

stevestunts
    Free Member

Prior to meeting my (English teacher) wife, I’d have claimed teaching was an easy game. My opinion has changed, drastically.

Anyone who thinks it’s a case of turning up just before the pupils, reading some stuff out of books at them, and then heading home shortly after they leave, has a very incorrect understanding of what is involved.

Northwind

jambalaya – Member

If Universities are paying 50% more than banks we have an even more serious budgetary problem in Education than we all thought.

The Professors I know (top of their respective games) make about £65-£75

I don’t think you’ve understood my post at all 😕 For the work I’m doing, I get paid nearly twice as much. (entry salary £31K with better salary progression and better benefits) I’m not comparing higher paid roles.

Obviously not just education you can do this- friend of mine went from being a junior teacher to being a banking trainer, same skills were more valuable in one industry than in others.

I don’t think sparky’s have to do the 4 years at college any more that I did. I work on highway electrical systems and that sees me good for around £80k a year self employed, with about £25k in overheads and running costs, so £55k wages. The employed sparks I work with earn £35-40k

bigjim

move to Aberdeen and work in O&G engineering on contract basis, you’ll be wiping your bum with £35k.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

isn’t there as job going at the bbc that you don’t need to be any good at and if you do it badly enough, you get a half mill handout in a less than 2 months?
    also, if you’d prefer scotland, i believe there’s a football related opportunity in glasgow requiring no more than a modicum of knowledge of well known catch phrases – long term improvement; game of 2 halfs, we dominated but the decisions went against us; you’re a fat tube, traynor. would take longer but the payoff after a couple of years of not meeting any targets could be around the 3/4 mill mark

IHN

If you’ve got head for heights, try the overhead powerlines. Transmission pays about £60k on top and distribution about£40-45k. There’s a chronic shortage of linesmen at the mo in this country. Try balfour beatty , amec or babcock.

I think I’d quite like that. I’d imagine one’s life insurance premiums may be quite high though.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Jobs and retraining – fastest way to 35k pa’ is closed to new replies.