Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Joblesstrackworld Updates?
  • mboy
    Free Member

Right

Pretty miffed today as not one but 2 setbacks in one day. And neither of them turn downs, more due to circumstances!

Yesterday afternoon had a phone call from a recruitment company that I’d applied to. “You’re CV is very good, all the experience our client is after, sounds like you’d be ideal for the position etc.” said the guy. “Are you free Friday 6th March as our client has spaces for interviews?” So of course I said yes. “Great, will call you back tomorrow to confirm the interview time and location”.

I get a call back today… “Hi, sorry to inform you that our client won’t be interviewing next Friday, but is now putting it back til the 5th April, sorry for the inconvenience”. Grrrrrrr!!! I NEED A JOB NOW!!! 👿

This afternoon I got an email asking me to call up the guy who interviewed me on Monday afternoon for another position, to see if I got through to the next round of interviews or not. I rang him just after 5pm and this is what he said… “Hi, at this stage of the game I would usually be saying congratulations, you are through to the next round of interviewing, and I would like to invite you along next week for your next interview. But. Well, I have just got off the phone to our client about 30 minutes ago, and they have postponed recruitment for this position indefinitely.” Grrrrrrr again! 👿

In fairness felt pretty sorry for the guy who interviewed me Monday, he has been working 12 hour days all week, interviewing 6 people a day all over the country until lunchtime today for this position he said, for the client to turn around and change their mind on recruiting for a position at all! BUM!

Anyone else having suitably bad luck too right now? Must’ve applied to 100’s of jobs now, have had several phone interviews, one face to face interview I ruled out cos it was 180 miles away and I don’t want to relocate that far away, and once face to face interview that went very well, only they’re now not recruiting any more! And ALL the jobs I get anybody ring me about are all a 4 to 6 week wait to get an interview for!

Very demoralised about the whole thing right now, just as things were looking up (especially on the pay front too compared to the job I was made redundant from), 2 big stings in the tail in one day 😥

sharki
    Free Member

As i’m in the construction industry there’s no jobs to apply for, all that’s keep me going for the last month or so is doing work for mountain biking mates.

So i pimp myself out as the builder to the mtb world.

Offers please.

rustydub
    Free Member

Comming up to the end my first 24 hours of joblessness in over 10 years.
    Still passed the day by starting fitting my new kitchen.

Also came from construction industry, very grim out there at moment.

jedi

i had phone interview with sky wednesday
    was rang today for another job by rec company saying im perfect too so waiting to hear on both

mboy
    Free Member

Nice one Jedi. I’ve had lots of “you sound perfect” and “we’ll find you something quickly” replies, but it seems to take a lot bloody longer than the recruitment companies like you to think. Well at least it does for the jobs I’m applying for anyway, other people I know made redundant recently have found new jobs within a week or so or applying for them!

jedi

the seeds we sow will sprout in spring 🙂

saladdodger
    Free Member

Same as sharki.

Construction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats that.

Time for a change of direction 😕

sharki
    Free Member

saladdodger
    Same as sharki.

Construction !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! whats that.

Time for a change of direction

Just like last time, when you got wett’d????

crazy-legs

Applied for several jobs (not much going in chemistry right now…), got 2 rejection emails the other day, still got about 5-6 jobs that I’m waiting to hear back from. What is demoralising is going down the Job Centre. Occasionally the staff I’ve got have been really friendly and positive, most of the time they’re rushed off their feet and have nothing but the standard “Have you done any work?”, tap tap tap at the keyboard then “OK, see you in 2 weeks. Next!”
    Maybe it’s just the time I go there but “Next!” always seems to summon some tracksuit-clad chav or fat 18-yr old with 2 screaming kids… 🙁

Doing a bit of freelance writing and photography to keep me going. It’s now 2 months and 8 days since I last did any work. House is tidy though!

jova54
    Free Member

Hey crazylegs, I’m interested in your comment about freelance work.

I’m on the heap as well, had an interview on Tuesday, first in the 6 weeks since I got the push, but didn’t get the job. Had plenty of the ‘Your CV looks ideal but they’ve just pulled the position and aren’t recruiting’ types of call.

I’m thinking about freelance training but I’m not sure how it affects JSA.

Cheeky question! Are you declaring your freelance work if it’s paid or keeping stumm? If you don’t want to answer on the forum that’s OK.

John

MTT
    Free Member

Construction here too. Architect.

Tempers are fraying in our household now. No idea what to do.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Crazy-legs, chemistry was going down the toilet in this country before the recession. If I were you I’d take the opportunity to try something else with bit more of a future. I’m a chemist myself and if I get made redundant again I’m packing it in and retraining as a gas fitter or something else vocational.

crazy-legs

uponthedowns: Yeah, I know mate but when I got my last job it all looked really good, we were contractors for the big boys (Pfizer, GSK etc) and the place was expanding rapidly – when I started there were about 40 chemists, by the time the s**t hit the fan there were about 100. In spite of it being cheaper for big pharma to source out their work to us, their funding had dried up and they would rather have everything under one roof, if only for confidentiality reasons so they got shot of about 20 chemists. Senior Chemists and Management of course weren’t affected by this, they got rid of the lower echelons.
    What part of chemistry do/did you work in?
    Thought about retraining and, unless something comes along very soon, I’m going to have to bite the bullet and go for it.

vinnyeh

My wife’s a project manager in IT, around 16 years experience. She’s applied for in excess of 200 jobs since her last contract finished end of December. One interview since then, and her cv’s currently with three prospective employers. Even twelve months ago there were no problems finding work- with the decimation of the financial services industry there’s bugger all work being undertaken, and consequently little work for permanent staff let alone contractors.
    My feeling at the moment is that her getting a job is nothing more than a lottery.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Joblesstrackworld Updates?’ is closed to new replies.