Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Job with a head for heights…..
  • benz
    Free Member
    molgrips
    Free Member

Ooooold….

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’d be ‘OK’ while in the cage, but the top bit… good lord no!

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

bugger that for a game 😯

generallevi
    Free Member

I do this job for a living,

You would be surprised how used to it you become once you develop a trust in your fall arrest equipment….

An experienced Aerial Rigger would think nothing of having their Lunch at 1000ft or whipping the paper out, however we have taken recruits and students up and have literally had to prise their fingers off and do absail rescues to get them down!

I have respect for the guy in this video, however he is free climbing for the last part which is massively forbidden in our industry, even in the States. Him falling or dropping a tool from this height could have massive consequences on the guys lower down the mast or on the deck.

A real test of climbing aptitude comes on your first mast climb in Afghanistan or Northern Ireland with the threat of someone trying to take you or the mast out. That’s when you realise if your cut out for the job or not…. 😉

TimothyD
    Free Member

You’d have to make sure you don’t make any false moves, in that you ‘know’ your hand and foot holds are sound, and you don’t lose your focus.

Without willy waving, as the term goes, i’ve soloed when rock climbing before and you kind of keep falling to the back of your awareness, you make sure you’re unhurried and calm, but keep in mind you have to be carefull as well, it’s weird to explain.

The structure isn’t going to brake i’d have thought.

I wouldn’t want to put my parents or family through something happening to me, so won’t really solo anymore, but I get the headspace he’s in.

TimothyD
    Free Member

Cycling in busy traffic arguably has more variables which can go wrong.

footflaps

The tower doesn’t look very climber safe – poor transitions at the changes in structure type…..

TimothyD
    Free Member

Quite straight forward though, no real puzzle as to what the moves should be, and no rock to break, or lichen on holds, or holds for hands to be too sweaty for.

‘Pretty safe’ if he’s good enough and is right mentally for it. At least he’s not got people driving along in things weighing a few tonnes who might not see him or be chatting to a friend or texting, or just be crap drivers.

Off out for Xmas shopping…

TimothyD
    Free Member

The more I think about it the safer than cycling in busy traffic it seems to be! 🙁

br
    Free Member

2:28 Whoa!

The thing is that once you are past 100ft you need to be lucky, every single day…

TimothyD
    Free Member

Yeah, you’re right you do, though I started to feel like that cycling through the centre of Sheffield and back for a few weeks.

I was fine at first, and gradually felt more and more vulnerable being surrounded by large heavy moving things piloted by fallible people.

At least it’s only down to yourself when you’re climbing that tower, you don’t have somebody in a truck not happening to see you.

TimothyD
    Free Member

It just comes down to how we percieve different risks as people I guess, and which ones we’re comfortable living with.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Think I could do it with a safety rope hooked up all the time.

Don’t know if I could get down though! (other than falling off).

Look down and you’re stuffed.

montylikesbeer

in a word , NO

exilegeordie
    Free Member

I’ve developed sweaty palms just watching this.

Hats off to the guy.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Job with a head for heights…..’ is closed to new replies.