Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Job interview tomorrow!
  • wiggles
    Free Member

Was offered a job interview today at 5pm for tomorrow. Spent the evening researching the company and watching their corporate videos etc, the Job description is pretty limited so not got a huge amount to go on.

Any last minute tips???

I tend to do really well or completely suck at interviews, I’m trying to prepare myself but once I’m under pressure my instincts kick in and usually just wing it with an on the spot answer…

Which I’m usually works out OK (about 95%* success rate at previous interviews) but my last one I choked big time and just found myself rambling on not really answering the question and not being able to stop myself talking…

EDIT :* I’m bullshitting already… I haven’t had 20 interviews so there is no way I can state my success rate as accurately as to within 5%. More like 80% success rate

solarpowered
    Free Member

Stop thinking of your ‘second’ paragraph and concentrate on your first! You’re going to be fine!!!!! Deep breaths when you need time to think and take your time… You can answer any question they throw at you I’m sure. Arrive in plenty time and physically smile whether you feel like you want to or not…. I’ve no idea why but it helps me!
    Good luck!!

shermer75
    Free Member

Write down a list of points that you’ll want to say in the interview. Then right them down again, off by heart, to make sure they’re stuck in your mind. And practice answering a few questions! 🙂

boxfish
    Free Member

I consider the skills/competencies being asked for and think of a few examples from my recent career. I then take these examples and construct a SOARO…

Situation
    Objective
    Action
    Result
    Outcome

I find it helps me remember what I want to say about my relevant experiences.

Be yourself, and don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know”!

Good luck.

teenrat

Be yourself. If you have the skills/know your stuff you’ll be fine. And dont try to blag, just be honest.

banks
    Free Member

Me too : ) company i’ve been trying to get into for years now so bricking it a little!

45 mins long too!!

Been asked to answer this – please describe an occasion where your plans were unexpectedly changed at the last minute and please record how you felt and dealt with the situation…

wiggles
    Free Member

Been asked to answer this – please describe an occasion where your plans were unexpectedly changed at the last minute and please record how you felt and dealt with the situation…

Got my mountain bike out of garage for my plans to the thwarted by the sudden monsoon occurring at my doorstep, I felt the type of rage only otherwise induced by 650B marketing male bovine excrement. I composed myself and dealt with the situation by considering how I could still achieve my goal of obtaining that vital KOM and retired back inside to spend an hour on the turbo visualising my next opportunity to shred the trail so hard on my steed that I transport myself to the magical world of Gnarnia.

Ok, I feel I am taking this less seriously than I should….

walla24
    Free Member

banks
    Free Member

Got my mountain bike out of garage for my plans to the thwarted by the sudden monsoon occurring at my doorstep, I felt the type of rage only otherwise induced by 650B marketing male bovine excrement. I composed myself and dealt with the situation by considering how I could still achieve my goal of obtaining that vital KOM and retired back inside to spend an hour on the turbo visualising my next opportunity to shred the trail so hard on my steed that I transport myself to the magical world of Gnarnia.

Ok, I feel I am taking this less seriously than I should….

: ) I’d put on two pairs of socks, me kagool and mtfu….

The KOM was at cannock so doesn’t count as real riding.

wiggles
    Free Member

That was all a lie I don’t even use strava or have a turbo…

I feel like bit of a fruitcake sat here talking to myself to make sure my answers don’t sound stupid out-loud.

banks
    Free Member

I’m doing it in the car so no one (i hope) can hear me.

Northwind

Good luck!

wiggles – Member

Any last minute tips???

I tend to do really well or completely suck at interviews

In that case, I recommend doing really well.

rickmeister

please describe an occasion where your plans were unexpectedly changed at the last minute and please record how you felt and dealt with the situation…

Use Boxfishes SOARO or STAR, being

S: situation I was working on
    T: task I was doing
    A: action I took
    R: results i gained from my action.

Using Soaro or Star, its all about you, not your boss or a team. They are only going to employ you, no one else..

Chin up and let us know about your new job !

brakes
    Free Member

Be yourself, and don’t be afraid to say “I don’t know”!

…but make sure you say what you think. no good just saying “dunno”

wiggles
    Free Member

I just got back, took over an hour. Not sure if that is a good thing or not we will see

wiggles
    Free Member

Got another interview lined up for next week in a bike shop… Less money but trade prices on bike stuff probably balances it out…

Hopefully at least one of these will come to something

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

It never balances out. You’ll just buy more shiny stuff.

wiggles
    Free Member

Shhh I don’t want to know 😉

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Job interview tomorrow!’ is closed to new replies.