Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Job Interview Question
  • Joe

I’m currently in the Middle East based out of Yemen working as TV cameraman on a freelance basis.

I want to come home because my Dad is sick, and i don’t think he’ll live for much longer than a year and I want to spend some time with him.

The job I’ve applied for is a reasonably junior position for my experience, but the employer is keen on me because I’ll bring technical expertise which i think the team lacks at the moment (they produce online video).

They’ve just got back to me today and asked “why are you coming home and why are you so keen to take a staff position when you are successfully and regularly freelancing, for more money…”:

IS it a good idea to tell them about my Dad or do you think it will put them off considering the job involves some traveling and they might think once he dies i’ll bugger off again (which i will!). There probably isn’t a way up in the company due to the nature of their business, but I couldn’t really give a toss for 12-18 months.

JAG

Honesty – it’s usually important to most employers 😀

…. so I’d do that!

wwaswas

If someone said to me ‘so I can be closer to my family’ I don’t think I’d think worse of them.

No one views workign in the Mid East as a lifetime thing do they?

kcal

If you like them, trust them and so on, tell them. Probably best. You may have to be honest about the pissing off again though.

Or, can you take it as a short term contract? or with expectation of getting promotion after a year say if you like them that much?

Rockape63
    Free Member

I suppose the point is….if and when your dad passes on, will you start looking for a better paid job?

Oops just saw your comment saying you will!

In that case you can lie and try and get the job or tell the truth and not get it.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Truth, so much better than lies.

druidh
    Free Member

Plus – you don’t have to say you think he doesn’t have long.

dantsw13

“To be closer to my family” in relation to moving to the uk and your dad is true. You dont have to tell all the details.

poly
    Free Member

I’ve interviewed a number of people who are moving back to this part of the world from “more exciting” or “higher paid” places elsewhere, or who previously moved back and then are looking to move on again. When they try to make it sound like the job was the attraction i’ve never hired them as it just doesn’t stack up. When they have said it was for love/family it has completely made sense and been fine.

freeagent
    Free Member

as others have said – tell the truth about being closer to family but don’t go into details.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If someone said to me ‘so I can be closer to my family’ I don’t think I’d think worse of them.

Unless they were a politician! 😉

pacerc200
    Free Member

Tell them the truth and secondly you will probably need stability (staff position) in your life at an emotional time.

samuri
    Free Member

The truth will work best.
    Is the position a long term role for them? Might be worth asking that question.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Job Interview Question’ is closed to new replies.