• This topic has 14 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by dpfr.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Job interview guidance please
  • benz
    Free Member

Ok, significant organisational review ongoing and highly likely that my role will cease to exist. New org being shown next week.

Been working plan B and have an interview for a similar role with another company next week.

Apart from the emotions around potentially being made redundant having an impact on my thinking I want to do well in the interview obviously.

The tricky question might be “Why are you looking to move employer?”.

My personal sense is that I should be totally honest and advise that due to a major organisational change a few of my team are being incorporated into other teams but my supervisory role may no longer exist.

However, is this the best way to explain? I like to be honest and transparent as if not it will always bite at some point.

Thoughts?

richmars

Do the honest answer, but also add things like wanting to move on, try new things etc, and now is a good time.
    People move jobs, and you have good reasons to. It’s a question they have to ask but there will be more important questions (and answers).

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Positive & Factual, if you can’t be factual be positive!
    Also if your companies changes are not too public and could be considered commercial don’t go into detail. It can be seen as unprofessional to give away commercial stuff or to slag off your current employer as it’s probably what you would say when you left your next job.

dpfr

Been thinking it might be timme for a change, prospect of reorganisation where I presently am has given me the push I need to look around, so here I am

mikey74
    Free Member

I wouldn’t mention anything about the re-organisation: It suggests you aren’t willing to adapt and be a team player, and probably have a slightly negative outlook.

I had an interview a month or so ago that was for basically the same job as I have now, just for a different company. I didn’t mention anything negative about my current company other than being more interested in the type of work that the prospective company does.

For the record: I was offered the job but turned it down.

daveh
    Free Member

How do you go about turning a role down? What do you say when they ring you to offer it?

mikey74
    Free Member

The offer and my response was done via e-mail.

Andy_B

Tell them the re-org has seriously limited internal promotion opportunities but you are ready for additional responsibility / new challenges / whatever crap you think will get you an offer.

julzm
    Free Member

An interview is as much about you finding out whether the new employers are for you as it is about them deciding whether you are right for them. A rejection of an offer is fine as long as it’s done professionally and quickly allowing the new employer to go out to the second best candidate should they wish to do so.

stumpyjon

I got offered two jobs a fortnight ago, ringing one to say I wasn’t coming wasn’t something I was looking forward to as they had made it clear they wanted me. They were very professional though which made it easier. You never know when your paths may cross in the future.

As for the op question I’d go with dpfr’s response. Looking for another role before getting the push should come across as pro active. Thing is you can’t second guess interviews so you might as well be honest.

mikey74
    Free Member

As for the op question I’d go with dpfr’s response. Looking for another role before getting the push should come across as pro active. Thing is you can’t second guess interviews so you might as well be honest.

I’m sorry, but I think that is the last thing you should say: Basically, you are saying that you have become superfluous to requirements, which doesn’t say a lot about your skills and/or willingness to muck in.

You need to make it sound as if you are the one behind the move, otherwise you sound like you are only wishing to move to the new company because you are being forced out of somewhere else. Doesn’t say a lot about the new company, does it?

edward2000
    Free Member

There is no need to mention the old company. Just say you are looking for a new challenge and you want to learn something new. The interview won’t be won or lost on this question so there is no need to panic!

dpfr

There is a risk in not mentioning the restructuring. I don’t know your game but in some areas of work everyone knows what’s going on everywhere else, so you could find yourself in the interview talking about your desire for a new challenge, while the interviewers are sitting there thinking “Why doesn’t he come clean and admit they’re restructuring?”.

mikey74
    Free Member

Sorry but that is a load of rubbish dfpr: once you start trying to second guess what the interviewer is thinking you are doomed.

dpfr

This whole thread is about second-guessing the panel! All I am saying is that they may know what’s going on and you could end up looking an idiot, hence my preference for (more or less) the truth. However, it’s the OP’s decision.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Job interview guidance please’ is closed to new replies.