Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Job expectations
  • eisco
    Free Member

When switching to a new job there is always an element of selling the position and some white lies an employer might say to make their company/position more desirable. Out of interest how ‘over the mark’ do you think these are?

– Promised the company needs to switch to a different process system within 1-2 years, (different software that would be good experience). After starting I asked when in the roadmap this might happen. I was told they had a review earlier in the year (ie: before interviewing) and decided they don’t need to make any changes.

– No mention in interview of office closure over xmas, where 3 days are taken out holiday allowances. On receiving the contract where this policy is stated, I asked them to clarify if this applied. They were dismissive and avoided answering my questions. Previous companies with this policy stated it at interview – is it normal to inform of such policies at interview?

MoreCashThanDash

I asked when in the roadmap

Sorry, you lost me right there…

somouk
    Free Member

is it normal to inform of such policies at interview?

Nope, it will be included in contracts.

The first one sounds as though they lied through their teeth at interview.

Gary_M
    Free Member

After starting I asked when in the roadmap this might happen

Did you pick an low hanging fruit whilst waiting for the answer?

P-Jay
    Free Member

somouk – Member

is it normal to inform of such policies at interview?

Nope, it will be included in contracts.

What they said.

I took a job once, before the interview I asked the agency what the leave was, they said 26 days, plus BHs – got the contract 25 days Inc BHs (from memory), perhaps I was stupid, perhaps brave but I politely asked my soon to be Boss if they would honour the advertisement and they did, under the condition I didn’t discuss it with anyone in work.

eisco
    Free Member

I thought roadmap didn’t quite fit into business phrase bingo. 🙄

legend
    Free Member

eisco – Member

I thought roadmap didn’t quite fit into business phrase bingo.

You need your synergies checking!

Sundayjumper

In the interview for my current job, I was asked how I felt about being shouted at !

Six months in, still no shouting 🙁

hopkinsgm

As an occasional technical interviewer, we are actively discouraged from discussing employee benefits and contractual matters at interview.

As for the changes to process systems/software change thing, it depends… They could have been willfully misleading you, but it could be that the person interviewing wasn’t party of all the discussions and so wasn’t aware that the proposal had been canned…?

Trimix
    Free Member

Companies are run by people, there is no normal.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I got asked that
    I replied with “the same as you like me shouting back at you”

It worked as they did not want a doormat.

wrecker
    Free Member

In the interview for my current job, I was asked how I felt about being shouted at !

How do you answer that?!?!
    “I do not tolerate it” or “Punch on the nose”?
    My current negotiations have been delayed by a seemingly incompetent fleet manager who does not know the company policy on fuel, mileage or vehicles….

skids
    Free Member

what roadmap?

wordnumb
    Free Member

Off-roadmaps are better. Just saying like.

cranberry
    Free Member

You need your synergies checking!

It sounds like the OP has had his unicorn gelded.

The first situation is naughty, but could have been a case of the interviewer not being in the know about a change in plans.

The second with closure over Christmas – not great if you want to get away from the relatives at Christmas, but not something that I’d expect to be a key point in the interview.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

At my interview I asked if we could bring games in on a friday afternoon, the boss said yes, he honoured my request and to this day I am the most popular bloke in the company, I get loads of xmas cards and easter eggs.

richmars

All the companies I’ve worked at have the three days at Christmas thing
    As for the changes, stuff happens. Maybe the cost of the change can’t be afforded. Maybe things are better with the old software. If you think they need to change, make a case for it.

Dark-Side

cheekyboy – Member
    At my interview I asked if we could bring games in on a friday afternoon, the boss said yes, he honoured my request and to this day I am the most popular bloke in the company, I get loads of xmas cards and easter eggs.

Was it an interview for a paper round?

brooess
    Free Member

The problem with roadmaps is they’re so unfriendly.
    But offroadmaps, are much cooler
    🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

All the companies I’ve worked at have the three days at Christmas thing

I’ve always been more suspicious of the people who want to work over Christmas. The one I had to suck up was starting a new job leave was only calculated on whole months worked. the 1st of the month was Friday and I started on the Monday, lost 2 days of leave on that 🙁 sure it wasn’t legal but I was 20 and not wanting to cause a fuss

ratherbeintobago

I’ve always been more suspicious of the people who want to work over Christmas.

I don’t mind working over Christmas; pre-kids worked is for something like 8 years straight so I could have New Year off instead, but a) am Scottish and as such Hogmanay is more important than a mere religious festival, and b) we don’t have a Christmas shut-down anyway.

cranberry
    Free Member

I’ve always been more suspicious of the people who want to work over Christmas

For me it wouldn’t be a problem – I grew up in a pub and Christmas was nothing but work – the busiest time of the year. As I am not in any way religious I can think of better times of the year to use leave – like now, when the sun is shining and the trees have all suddenly turned green.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Not at all religious here but I do enjoy the time off with family.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Job expectations’ is closed to new replies.