Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Job dilemma! Offered pay raise to stay
  • TheBrick
    Free Member

All some really good points! I’m gogin to chat to my partner again tonight (she is away) but I think many of you are correct that I would just be putting of the ineviatble and possibly leave upsetting the managment more. I’m always keen to keep relationships potative as you never know what the furture may hold.

footflaps

Now back in the office I have found the article as to why you should think long and hard before accepting a counter offer.

I call utter bollocks on Reasons 2-10.

NB I have run Engineering departments in several companies and was responsible for pay rises / pay rates etc.

lunge

I call utter bollocks on Reasons 2-10.

It’s not gospel and it’s not 100% true all the time, but it is worth considering. In my experience, counter offers very rarely lead to a long and happy continued relationship with the company.

DT78
    Free Member

I call bollocks too

Especially comments like:

What type of company do you work for if you have threatened to resign before they give you what you’re worth?

That’ll be a company that has an operational budget and managers tasked with keeping to it or reducing it.

If you can buy that shiny bike part at a discount online or at full retail what do you do?

And loyalty is overrated unless you are in a small firm. Most big companies it is business – there is no loyalty to you as an individual or vice versa.

(I accepted my counter offer btw – was still less than new role, but work / life was much better – still not sure if the right decision)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You stay? Then you might never get a pay rise again and the new offer is burnt, they probably won’t offer again. You get trapped.

footflaps

You stay? Then you might never get a pay rise again and the new offer is burnt, they probably won’t offer again. You get trapped.

Also utter bollocks.

If someone is good, employees want them and don’t get put out by people rejecting offers. In fact, being made a counter offer actually reinforces the interviewers opinion that this person is worth having.

somouk
    Free Member

I would be doing something similar to what Poly said.

Take the 30% and negotiate a day off a week to work on your own stuff, ultimately you lose no money but get the chance to do your own work as well.

DaveRambo

You looked for another job because

I’m a board at the place I work

and

felt like there was little scope for progression.

On top of that long term I’d like to be self employed or small business in some way in the future and I don’t feel this helps me in that direction.

More money changes none of these so while you will feel better for a short while, you will come around to these issues again.

If you are going to talk to management about why you’re leaving I’d be telling them this.
    Either way once you’ve decided you want/need to leave I’ve found it’s best to just get on with it. Leave on good terms and you can always go back at a later date if you need to.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Tell old company that you are leaving to set up your own consultancy company and that if they want to take advantage of the services your company will be offering then you’ll be happy to discuss details of a suitable contract. If being self employed is your aim then this may be a very good opportunity as you seem to be in demand.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Job dilemma! Offered pay raise to stay’ is closed to new replies.