Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • JOB: Bike shop manager
  • defaultslipper
    Free Member

Anyone out there looking to work in a bike shop? Great little shop at ae forest.
    http://glasgow.gumtree.com/glasgow/35/72689235.html

If you want any more information then let me know and I will try and answer them or forward them onto the shop owner. Okay the money isn’t anything special but then you can ride your bike everyday in a great part of the country. Just to be clear its not me advertising this but I have worked in the shop and it is my lbs so I want to see someone good starting there. Without this job I would have struggled for work last year so have a vested interest.
    They have just started an online store so have big plans for the future. Some great riding around here with numerous trail centres and plenty of natural riding within a couple of hours in all directions. Dumfries isn’t the most bustling of towns but there is enough here to keep you interested especially if you like the outdoors,photography or history.

Edric64
    Free Member

If that job offered 25k it might be worth it.

bassspine
    Free Member

pay not withstanding, I’m tempted…

loddrik
    Free Member

£16k a year…

18 years olds apply now, for the rest of us with financial commitments though..

_tom_
    Free Member

Would be ideal if I had any clue about what it takes to be a good manager!

squiff
    Free Member

I was talking to my wife the other day about wages been the same as they were 10 years ago, and I was right.

I agree with loddrik

defaultslipper
    Free Member

As I said money doesn’t look good but I don’t know whether there is much room for negotiation. Also says bonus depending on sales which I don’t know about. Another plus is the low cost of living around dumfries- you can still get a pint for under 2.50 around here. Travelling around dumfries even in rush hour is possible especially if you are used to English congestion.
    Someone will fill this job I just thought it might be of interest to someone who might be looking for a change.

Offer is still there if you have any questions. Email in profile

Margin-Walker
    Free Member

Is £16k a year that bad for the bike industry ?

alexonabike

In my line of work, £16k is what you may get after 10 years of experience and numerous qualifications – academic and professional.

Not a bad pay for a ‘lifestyle’ job if you ask me.

Me
    Free Member

16k pretty standard for a small/medium sized bikeshop tbh. And a lot better than the minimum wage everyone else in bikeshops are on… 😥

Trekster

Wages and household income levels are amongst the lowest in Scotland and the UK at 92% of the Scottish average. The average gross wage in the region is £381.60 compared with £436.80 across Scotland .
    16.3% of the Dumfries and Galloway workforce are self-employed, compared to a rate of 10.3% in Scotland as a whole.
    92% of firms in the region are micro-businesses (employing less than 10 people), reflecting the rural nature of the economy.

D&G cost of living wages
    Check out what your average High St store manager earns? Makes no difference whether it is a bike or clothes shop.

Woody
    Free Member

Money isn’t everything and if you’re happy in your work then £16k is ok.

I’d rather earn £16k and live in Dumfries than £32k in London.

walleater

Doesn’t sound great to me, as the person also has to be the workshop manager, carry out repairs etc so needs a load of technical knowledge as well as retail management skillz. Might be OK depending on the bonuses though.

robdob
    Free Member

I was an operations manager (not store manager but one of the management team) in a medium sized DIY chain in Yorkshire and I earnt £16k, so I reckOn that’s about right.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘JOB: Bike shop manager’ is closed to new replies.