Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Job advert – guess the salary
  • johnners
    Free Member

“GCHQ is at the forefront of the nation’s cyber security strategy and is dedicated to ensuring our government can operate in cyber space with confidence. We are committed to staying ahead of the swift pace demanded by the evolving digital world.

In a game where our adversaries operate with no rules and unknown boundary lines, you will be exploring the possibilities and inventing the seemingly impossible. We need pioneers that can push the technical boundaries and cope with the unknown. Our work involves a journey to the very depths of operating systems, complex networks and IT security fundamentals”

C’mon you technical boundary-pushing pioneers, what’s that worth in the cushy overpaid Public Sector then?

allthepies
    Free Member

Hmmm, sounds £25K ish ?

😉

paulosoxo
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flESd2vFXy4&feature=player_detailpage[/video]

johnners
    Free Member

You rotten cheats. £25k seemed a bit low-rent for “pioneers” though.

I know, with your awesome Google skillz you could apply! Go on, help fend off the sneaky (possibly) Sino-Russian menace.

grahamh
    Free Member

Minimum wage.

Kato

When I started at MOD in 1999 they were paying me as a graduate 11k. Didn’t stay long!

allyharp

You can bet too that the application process will be tough and you’ll probably be faced with waiting 6 months while they carry out security checks. 😕

anto164
    Free Member

tbh, that’s on the higher side of a graduate salary (As that’s what the job posting is for really)

So not too bad tbh, and the working conditions is OK.. 22 days holiday + 10.5 for public hols + flex with posibility of working a 4 day week.

richmars

What’s the 10.5 days of ‘public and privilege’ holidays about? (I understand public=bank but privilege?)

dave_rudabar
    Free Member

Entirely dependent on the role you’d be going for – is this a graddy job? £20k would be my guess if it is, more like £30k for a role for more experienced peoples.

PePPeR

With reference to the holidays, the EU rules state that we should have 20 days holiday a year. BUT, bank holidays ‘can’ be included in those 20 days a year!

So if your company were very stingy, and I know of a lot who are, they would only have to actually give you the bank holidays and 10 more days a year.

Our company, I’ve been working with them prior to the working time directive came out, didn’t realise this at the time and gave us 20 working days + the bank holidays, if they had known about being able to include the bank holidays at the time, then you can bet your bottom dollar that they would have continued to give us the stingy 10 days holiday a year that they were previously.

johnners
    Free Member

What’s the 10.5 days of ‘public and privilege’ holidays about?

I think most Civil Servants get additional holidays like the Queen’s birthday, and half day on Maundy Thursday.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ll apply if its £50k

richmars

I think most Civil Servants get additional holidays like the Queen’s birthday, and half day on Maundy Thursday.

Why?

Doug
    Free Member

PePPeR – I think you’ll find it’s 28 days including public holidays.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

most Civil Servants get additional holidays like the Queen’s birthday, and half day on Maundy Thursday.

Cushty. I can understand why civil servants might be satisfied with less generous wages.

darrell
    Free Member

i once applied for a job like this but the spooks told me that i was a security risk to the UK and would i please just go away.

😀

wingnuts

Well in 35 years of civil service I never got (or heard of anyone getting) the Queens birthday or Maundy Thursday.

LeeW

I used to get a day off in lieu for the Queens birthday, technically I still get it after I was TUPE’d out a couple of years ago.

coffeeking
    Free Member

You rotten cheats. £25k seemed a bit low-rent for “pioneers” though.

Not really, you’ll find most public sector jobs (even cool ones) are poorly paid (in comparison with what you’d expect). Only really the top end management that rakes it in.

neilnevill
    Free Member

seems gc 10 is a moderate to low grade, equivalent to EO (executive officer)
    https://govx.socitm.gov.uk/spaces/itjobs/knowledge/gchq-campaigns-2008

most techincal, graduate entry civil service entry schemes would have entrants on a developent scheme on about that grade, regrading to HEO on successful completio of training after about 2 years.

now remeber kids….as CFH and others will tell you, Civil servants are ridiculously over paid.

privelage days = 2.5 a year, maundy thursday pm half day, one day extra at christmas (27th usually) and one day extra at Whit weekend (to celebrate the Queen’s official birthday originally I think)

johnners
    Free Member

Not really, you’ll find most public sector jobs (even cool ones) are poorly paid (in comparison with what you’d expect).

Many certainly, I’m not sure about most. However, they certainly seem to be speccing the moon on a stick for not much money in that ad, which was kind of my point.

Perhaps we should bear in mind how well we fund these posts next time there’s a witch hunt over a few million personal records going astray.

mattstreet

25K seems about right for Civil Service. It’s certainly not the land of milk and honey it’s made out to be. Still, those applying for a job like this aren’t usually the type motivated just by the finances.

involves a journey to the very depths of operating systems

Oh purlease! 🙄

coffeeking
    Free Member

Many certainly, I’m not sure about most. However, they certainly seem to be speccing the moon on a stick for not much money in that ad, which was kind of my point.

Indeed,I wasn’t really disagreeing with you. I find the worst thing with the public sector is not shedding dead wood, rather than excessive pay (or excessive spec for normal pay) as seems to be the assumption with some. Plenty of people hanging around doing jobs that have little or no use. Having worked in a couple of council jobs I could name a notable % of the workforce who did nothing but sit on their arse until asked to do something, then moaned endlessly. “But I run this whole building on my own”….”By ‘running’ you mean ‘sitting around waiting for something to happen, then whining when it happens?'”

totalshell

tell em you’ll do it for £6 ph and if your that good, first day hack payroll and slip it up to £60ph.. iniative they call it dont they..

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Job advert – guess the salary’ is closed to new replies.