Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • JMC 20 years today
  • one_bad_mofo

Can still remember hearing the news, can’t believe it’s been 20 years. 🙁

peterfile
    Free Member

scruff
    Free Member

miketually
    Free Member
    robdob
    Free Member

🙁

Still the best, the inspiration for so many, can’t believe it’s been so long now.

Wonder what he’d be doing nowadays if he hadn’t been for that ride 20 years ago?

racefaceec90

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeCGFUB6We0[/video] r.i.p jason 🙁

robdob
    Free Member

Just to prove it ain’t about the bike, a lesson to be learnt here….

In his first ever downhill race at Rothbury,riding a bog-standard bike from Halfords, Jason won the novice class, even though still officially a junior, and posted a time that placed him third overall, just behind Pro-Elite riders. He was hooked. He ‘upgraded’ his bike to a Halford’s Carrera and entered as many races as possible, turning in increasingly better performances, culminating in his win at the BOMB MC event – the unofficial british Championship at a course near Scarborough.

Legend.

qwerty
    Free Member

JASON MCROY CACTUS CUP 1995 SCOTTSDALE, ARIZONA, USA

Plus, i remember this pic from a mag article

DezB
    Free Member

Awesome picture that! ^^

whatever happened to bike v horse races? They used to have loads round here.

pictonroad

I think it’s time I bought a proper photo and put it up in the house. He was my hero, my teenage girlfriend spent a term making me a silver JMC tat.

lunge

Wonder what he’d be doing nowadays if he hadn’t been for that ride 20 years ago?

I’d like to think he’d still be riding like Steve Peat, however part of me thinks he’d end up on the GB track team. Either way, he was a hero of mine growing up, Dirt is still the best MTB film made.

franksinatra

I was a teenager and he was my propoer hero, my Elvis, Senna and Pele.

He had raw talent. I watched dirt until the VHS tape broke.

slimjim78
    Free Member

JMC just had ‘it’.
    My 20+ year love of cycling is in part absolutely due to wanting to have just as much fun, whilst looking half as good as he made it.

Of course i’ve failed miserably on the latter – but never the less, its been a great ride so far.

Thanks JMC

duncancallum

Supremely talent guy.

Still laugh at the end bit of dirt

richen987
    Free Member

met him twice, when I was about 14, once at a Race, once at a bike show, where I got the poster, was really nice, had loads of time for the kids, was living the dream. I was gutted when he died, a real inspiration

gravity-slave
    Free Member

So inspirational, so sad.

If you haven’t watched Peatys Won’t Back Down yet, now is the time. Or watch it again.

When I was getting into bikes I remember watching TV while on holiday in the US and seeing JMC v Miles Rockwell at the Kamikaze DH. I’d never seen anything like it but knew I wanted to race DH! Seeing a Brit doing that well at a big international race was awesome. 2 years later he was gone but not forgotten.

Might take a cruise over the Woodhead and pay my respects.

lunge

When I was getting into bikes I remember watching TV while on holiday in the US and seeing JMC v Miles Rockwell at the Kamikaze DH. I’d never seen anything like it but knew I wanted to race DH! Seeing a Brit doing that well at a big international race was awesome. 2 years later he was gone but not forgotten.

Exactly this, I remember watching it on Trans World Sport on a Saturday morning and being in awe.

slimjim78
    Free Member

The Kamikaze run was legendary viewing. Good times.

covertbaz
    Free Member

As a few others have already said, raw talent and top guy, was such shame he was taken young when in his prime, was a definite world champ in the making!

For those interested, noted at weekend the BDS round at Antur Stiniog on the 29th September has a “Legends” race as a memorial to JMC, the likes of Steve Peat, Rob Warner, Will Longden to name a few racing – Will bring back memories for a few on here i’m sure

Furious

JMC just had ‘it’.
    My 20+ year love of cycling is in part absolutely due to wanting to have just as much fun, whilst looking half as good as he made it.

Of course i’ve failed miserably on the latter – but never the less, its been a great ride so far.

Thanks JMC

This ^^

…sums it up well for me.

I was trying to explain to my 17 year old daughter about what JMC meant/means to me last night after seeing lots of posts related to this on FB.

My 20+ year love with mountain biking is in many respects down to reading about and watching JMC all those years ago.

Living nearby, we often pass his memorial spot on Woodhead and I’ve never failed to acknowledge it – pay my respects if you like.

AdeC
    Free Member

I agree with all the comments above. Awesome rider who had so much potential and is still greatly missed.

Quick correction to covertbaz’s post above…

the legends race is on Sunday 20th Sept

#BDSLegends. One off Legends Category introduced to commemorate Jason McRoy who sadly passed away 20 years ago….

Posted by Pinkbike on Sunday, August 23, 2015

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ker….blimey.. I’d forgotten all about him until this thread. Great pic’s up there that I do remember, certainty the bike/horse one.. 😯 Not as much influence on me as others it seems but certainly do remember only too well those years.

20 years eh…

Ker…blimey.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘JMC 20 years today’ is closed to new replies.