Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Jey boy brakes – Formula R1 or Hope Evo Race X2
  • chillidave
    Free Member

Slight change of plans means I’m looking for a set of light race brakes. Narrowed it down to the two above based on price/weight.

Hope Evo race x2 can be had for around £240 (as far as I can find w/o rotors). Not used Hope brakes in ages but a big fan of their customer service and a bit more unique.

2012 Formula R1s are available for under £300 with rotors (don’t really need them but never knock free spares). Light and decent reputation for power.

Very hard to find information on the Evos and the Formulas seem the sensible choice but I do like the uniqueness of the Hopes.

njee20
    Free Member

XTR Race.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Xtr race

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

where have you seen the 2012 r1s at 300 with rotors please?

i like formula brakes, ive had rx and the ones (2011 versions) and both have had tonnes more power than hope x2;s and shimano (older style) m775’s…

have heard great things about the new xt/xtrs though too

cp

XTR race – M985.

From Rose or from Merlin with 10% extra off at the moment and discs inc.

chillidave
    Free Member

XTR Race.

I considered these but they are a little bit more money and I have bleed kits and so on for hope/formula so that swung it.

The Formulas are on Merlin, I’m hoping they’ll do 10% off this weekend which would swing it in their favour.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You get bleed kits with the xtr’s.

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, all you need is the little bucket and piece of hose, which comes with the mineral oil bottle.

I’d sooner have XTs than either of the options in the OP though!

cp

merlin are doing 10% off everything now – don’t wait till the weekend if that’s what you’re choosing – it might be off by then!

On Rose, the XTR’s are £285 posted in round numbers.

rkk01
    Free Member

I went for the Hopes a few weeks ago.

Can’t report back on them yet as the Van Nic build is stalled at the mo 🙁

bowglie

I’ve owned and used bikes with RX’s and R1’s, and all sorts of Hope brakes, including mix & match tech caliper/lever combos. Personally, my recommendation would depend on your weight. I weigh 90kg in riding kit and the Formula’s are definately stronger stoppers for my weight, although the fine modulation, servicing and overal reliability, the Hopes are, IMO, a better long term bet – particularly if you’re around the 70kg-ish mark. I’ve had the alloy lever bolts on the Formulas snap twice – which isn’t so good 😯 , and the minimal pad clearance on the rotors can be a bit irritating.

FWIW, my wife is around 70-75kg in full riding kit and she managed an impressive emergency stop endo with the Hopes when she had to avoid some t**t in a sports car racing on the local lanes.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

Can’t speak for the Formulas, but I had the standard pre-Evo X2’s and rated them. Properly set up they have enough power to be bordering on all mountain brakes, so with the Evo upgrade should be more than enough unless you a a very large chap. Dead easy to set up and maintain, reliable, look good, great after sales if needed

chillidave
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, I probably come closer to the 90kgs than 70kg kitted out and running pretty teeny 160mm rotors front and rear. Really appreciate the opinions particularly on the hopes which seem strangely rare at the moment.

Chainline
    Free Member

I have Hope Race eve x2 and have used xtr race. The xtr modulation is a bit poo and the set I used needed frequent bleeding. I know thats not the norm from posts here but it was my experience. They also were rather ‘notchy’ good power.

The Race x2 Evo have comparable power and are a step up from the older x2s. Really good brakes. Powerful enough for me to be considering using them on my AM bike with 203’s in place of my tech v2s!

Contact richard@gravity-sports.co.uk for a price on the Hopes, tell him Phil recommended him. I think you’ll be surprised at the price. Great service too.

I used to have formula’s/ Nice brakes, PITA to beed and parts a nightmare.

xc-steve
    Free Member

R1 Racings for all out light weight money no object… will obviously make you race faster

tetsujin
    Free Member

What if your a bigger rider with the choice of Formula RX or Hope Tech X2 (not EVO).

I am 208kg/17st before kit.

Are the X2 no good.

My riding is just xc/trails etc – nothing extreme or knar! 😀

relliott6879
    Free Member

Of the two you’ve narrowed your choice down to, I’d take the Hope X2s. Any difference in weight or outright power is likely to be marginal and Hope’s aftersales service, should it be needed, is legendary.

Now for the shameless pedantry bit…

chillidaveMember

Not used Hope brakes in ages but a big fan of their customer service and a bit more unique.

Something is either unique or it isn’t, it can’t be ‘quite’, ‘fairly’ or ‘a bit’ or even ‘really’ unique.

fivespot
    Free Member

Recently went from 2012 XT’s to Hope race evo X2’s, and am made up with them. Running 180 Air rotors, they are more than powerful enough with great linear modulation. You can feel whats happening right up to the point of wheel lock-up, and control it. The XT’s I found too grabby initially, the when pushing things a bit harder, they didn’t seem to have any more power, they felt spongy, which wasn’t for the need of bleeding, it was those tiny levers flexing when pulled hard. Another point worth noting if your a weight weenie, the XT’s were heavier than my old mono M4’s. The race evo X2’s are VERY light. 8)

chiefgrooveguru

I switched from Avid Elixir R to Hope Race Evo M4 – amazing brakes, loads of power and so much feel you can actually use that power. Like buying ABS for your bike! 183/160 rotors, 12.5 stone and more interested in going downhill than uphill.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

What if your a bigger rider with the choice of Formula RX or Hope Tech X2 (not EVO).

I am 208kg/17st before kit.

Are the X2 no good.

My riding is just xc/trails etc – nothing extreme or knar!

If you’re just doing XC you should be fine with the X2’s – go for 203 front/183 rear rotors to be on the safe side. The website says max 183 rotor, but they are exactly the same fitting as the M4’s, so just get the appropriate adaptors. I ran X2 with 203/183 with no probs

Janesy
    Free Member

I’d recommend R1’s. Fastastic powerful stoppers.

bwaarp
    Free Member

So despite the fact that the Hope Race Evo X2’s are as powerful as the XTs/XTRs…..as light as the XTR’s for a lot less money….better modulating…..you guys are telling him to buy XTR’s?

Idiots.

On the topic of Formulas, my Oros and my old mans 2009 The Ones were less reliable than the 7-8 hope brakes we’ve owned. However I have heard the newer ones are better in that regard, however I’d only buy them if the parts/servicing support has improved.

The new X2 Race Evo’s scored higher in dyno tests than the R1 in the recent Mbuk tests as well.

richiethesilverfish
    Free Member

however I’d only buy them if the parts/servicing support has improved.

It has. Silverfish took over the distribution of Formula around a year ago. We now hold a larger inventory of spares and small parts than the UK has ever seen and there are more Authorised Formula Dealers out there than ever before too.

Cheers.

d45yth
    Free Member

+1 on Silverfish for parts.

Love my R1’s, I wouldn’t use 160 rotors though.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Jey boy brakes – Formula R1 or Hope Evo Race X2’ is closed to new replies.