Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Jeweller question – valuing items based on content.
  • theotherjonv

Just checking, I know I probably need a proper valuation, but doing my home and contents insurance I need a rough valuation of my wife’s jewellery.

All are platinum and diamonds, she has an engagement ring from 1999, pair of earrings from 2002, and an eternity ring from 2010. Is there a rough way to re-estimate valuations based on their prior value and age? For example today’s platinum price appears about 3x the 1999 price, but 80% of the 2010 price. Diamonds seem about 20% higher at most. But in a typical (what’s typical) how much of the value is due to metal and how much to stones?

CountZero

You really need to speak to an expert, by which I mean a proper goldsmith, not a jeweller. The difference being the latter is just a retailer, the former makes stuff, and knows more about the value of stones and metals.

Drac

What CZ said I took my wife’s rings to a local jeweller to be cleaned and asked if he could do a valuation. His response was they’d be very expensive but he’d not do a written one as said I’d be better off going to a Goldsmith or contacting the makers for a new value.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Jeweller question – valuing items based on content.’ is closed to new replies.