Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Jetboil
  • backinireland
    Free Member

Quite like the look of these
    Opinions?
    What about the cheaper copycat ones?

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Had the same one for about a decade. Gets a few outings each year. Always worked well for me.

Fits on a bike too of you carefully modify a bottle cage!

dyls

They are good for boiling water fast, so good for rehydrating meals and tea/coffee. I have the ti version which saves a bit on weight.

If you want to be more adventurous with your cooking then jd go for something else like a standalone burner with seperate pots and pans, something like a primus spider.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pointless. About ten times the weight and size of a penny stove and a ti mug, way more expensive, and does exactly the same – boils water.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

No idea if they’re any good or not but they’re on offer at Cotswold at the moment.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve had mine for ages and find it excellent. I’ve also got a pocket rocket and a Ti mug and sometimes that’s more versatile but the Jetboil is fast, minimum hassle and not affected by the wind etc.

mattbee

Yeah. Pointless. I remember last Feb when using my Jetboil got me drinking a mug of tea before my mate had even got his stupid little meths burning ultralight thing going, much less got his ti mug balanced on it and wrapped it in a windshield.
    Great for their intended purpose which is a fast boil of water but not really much use for cooking, although I do use mine with a frying pan & the adapter ring they sell. Had it since about 2004 & it’s never let me down, even got a brew on in a hailstorm huddled behind the wall on Bwlch Tryfan.

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Superb bit of kit if you use boil in the bag food. I used one when I was in the Army, fits in a utility pouch and is great for rat pack food. Make a drink with the water afterwards as well. Not so great for a fry up though 🙂

epicsteve
    Free Member

Superb bit of kit if you use boil in the bag food. I used one when I was in the Army, fits in a utility pouch and is great for rat pack food. Make a drink with the water afterwards as well.

That’s what I do as well – boil the water with the rat pack meal in it, then make a brew or a hot chocolate (the rat pack ones are excellent) with the water.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Just as good, slightly larger so boils more water and better for boil in the bag meals, plus it’s half the price
    From Alpkit

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Mine mine. Simple system, lives in my van, brilliant for a fast brew after a ride, stable and all in one. Can be stood or hung. Will do noodles, but simmer control isn’t great. I use it camping to get a fast brew on then another stove for meals.

Got mine pretty cheap, Go Outdoors offer a 10% price beat promise of you find it cheaper. Dechathlon have the Zip cheap, needs a lighter or flint but you can stash that in the base.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/jetboil-zip-camping-stove-id_8248843.html

scotroutes

Basically, any pot with a heat exchanger on the bottom will use less fuel and will heat the contents quicker. There’s nothing special about the Jetboil or its clones over and above this. You can buy seperate pots and stoves that do the same job and offer more flexibility at less weight.

snownrock

They’re a wonderful elegant system. I’m know lighter and smaller are available but it’s nice having something so quick and easy in the van/rucksack for use when required.

Cougar

What Scotroutes said.

Can’t recommend this highly enough. http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-backpack-cookset-p287230

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Blooming weird , I tried to type ‘love mine’ above, not mine mine!

Under £50 if the above price match works for you, it did for me.

True, there are many lighter or more flexible cook systems or there. Jetboil wins on stability and integration, for me. You can hold it like a mug while it boils if you need. The pot can’t slide off. You don’t need a separate mug. It’s insulated. Very neat complete system. I’ve not used my msr since I got my Jetboil.

Wookster

Love mine, great bit of kit.

stevious

I love mine. Make my own boil in the bag meals at home then get to have dinner within minutes of setting up camp – really useful when supervising DofE.

When I did my ML last summer both of the assessors were using Jetboils and all of us who passed used them too.

The cheaper imitators don’t have quite as efficient burners as the ones at the same price. There’s a good comparison of all major stoves of that type on the market here. If you buy something via the affiliate links on that site the ad revenue goes into an expedition fund for cool adventures.

wrecker
    Free Member

only squaddies who never get bumped for survival use jetboils. when “ditch bergens” gets called, you know what’s going on!
    WTF you going to do with belt kit and a rabbit?

Spin
    Free Member

Jetboil is a massive marketing coup. It amazes me how they’ve managed to sell a heavy, bulky and inefficient system to so many people.

ski
    Free Member

Had to replace the starters twice on mine, apart from that it’s been used nearly every day for my noodle and coffee breaks when I am out in the sticks for work. No problem boiling up in all weathers and packs small enough to go in a glove box.

Would love to get the pan they do for them but cannot get myself to pay the price they want for one!

I am sure there are cheaper/faster/smaller/robust version out there but untill it packs up proper I am happy with a match and jetboil

epicyclo

Nobeerinthefridge – Member
    Pointless. About ten times the weight and size of a penny stove and a ti mug, way more expensive, and does exactly the same – boils water.

Maybe so, but the strange thing is that I actually use it instead of drinking cold water and food which is what I usually ended up doing with other setups.

(I’m either too lazy or too knackered to be bothered with the faff of the the other stuff)

Waderider
    Free Member

I have to say I can’t understand the appeal of these things. My pal brings one on trips. Seems to not achieve some of the features a packable stove needs most!

DrJ

Boils water fast. Packs down conveniently.

Useful for a gourmet meal? No. Lightest and smallest on the market? Probably not.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It has one major flaw.

It has a gas can.

v8ninety

major flaw/it has a gas can

thats gonna make it a whole lot quicker than solar powered or ethically gathered kindling powered though, isn’t it? What’s the (realistic) alternative? (Genuinely curious, not a very outdoorsy person but would like to be more so)

rwamartin
    Free Member

There is no “perfect” stove. Each type has it’s merits and downsides.

The jetboil type of stove is ideal if you want to heat water very quickly but isn’t going to be much good if you want more than a quick brew and fast rehydrated food.

Multifuel gives flexibility when travelling in remote places where cannisters and meths may not be readily available.

Meths stoves are slow boilers but fuel is easy to manage and there are no wasteful cannisters that you are never quite certain will have enough gas in after a couple of uses.

Hexi blocks and woodburners – they have their good and bad points too.

Most of us probably have a number of bikes and use the one that is most appropriate for the circumstances. Why not the same with stoves?

stevious

^^^ some very good points.

As a slight counter to one, the newer generation Jetboils have a very good regulator valve that does an excellent job of emptying the gas cannisters. You don’t get the fizzling out over time that you get with other gas stoves – it just works at full chat and then goes out when it’s empty. Due to the efficiency of the stove I get about 7-8 nights worth of cooking from a 100g cannister.

I’m not a total jetboil evangelist by the way – I’ll use other stoves if I’m out having a leisurely time with friends. If I’m going to be out in the hills for a few nights it’s jetboil all the way.

epicyclo

I would love a mini Jetboil that fitted in a bottle cage. Enough for a few cuppas on a day or two out.

convert

I’ve just struggled to find a place for a jetboil in my kit list. When going minimalist pack size and weight wins out and a my ti pot with a small cannister and a gigapower stove nestled inside and a cup/lid over the top is a lot smaller and quite bit lighter. It’s not the last word in boil time or efficiency in comparison to a jetboil and the contents of the cup goes cold too fast but they are preferable compromises for me. If going for longer/remoter trips where access to gas cannisters or ration pack replacements are not guaranteed a multifuel stove and pots capable of cooking real food is also better.

BadlyWiredDog

Most of us probably have a number of bikes and use the one that is most appropriate for the circumstances. Why not the same with stoves?

Because this is STW, home of black and white thinking where anything can only be absolutely brilliant or completely rubbish.

JetBoils etc are effectively neat, portable kettles, they’re great for brewing up rapidly and fine for one-pot dehydrated stuff or boil in the bag. They pack down neatly, are reasonably wind resistant – if you want proper performance in wind, take a look at the MSR version, the Wind Burner – and are easy to use.

They’re not great if you want to ‘cook’ properly using more than one pan or a frying pan, although the Primus version comes with screw-in pins to sort of allow you to do this and despite what a few folk have said above, they’re not that stable compared to a remote canister stove.

They’re also not the lightest option by some distance, but it depends on your priorities really. If you want to use a coke can stove with meths, that’s fine, but not as convenient as a PCS.

So it is what it is basically, but you need to understand its limitations and whether they work for your precise needs.

trail_rat
    Free Member

You only run out of gas on a remote scottish island once. (It was full when we started just a very cold spring tour- so we wiped out a big can quick)

My gas stove is for car camping only now where its not the end of the world.

Msr whisperlite for big back country tours

8g meth stove for solo one night use (which is the only place id be tempted by a gas stove again – but alas they are heavy as ****)

Alpkit bruler for casual touring.

If i need to be eating that quick after stopping ill just eat cold food- its even lighter 😉

squirrelking
    Free Member

Surprised nobody has thought of adding end caps and a braze on lpg connection on a downtube yet..

Hexamine ftw, doubles up as Kendal mint cake if you’re a brain-dead idiot as well

johnnystorm

Nothinges new to add but I have a few stoves from meths cup all the way up to a trangia. Each has its place. I also have the pot stand adapter for mine so you can use a frying pan, larger saucepan, etc.

For rustling up a rapid cuppa it’s unparalleled.

ratherbeintobago

Hexamine ftw, doubles up as Kendal mint cake if you’re a brain-dead idiot as well

It still covers the outside of whatever you’re heating over it in sticky black goo…

squirrelking
    Free Member

Sticky? Never seen it sticky in my puff but then I’ve not touched the stuff in over a decade. Nothing a quick rub in some earth never sorted.

dufusdip
    Free Member

Great for boiling water, not great for cooking. But the Alpkit one is well designed and less dosh than the Jetboil.

There are other stoves available but never had the need or the faff to do anything other than boil water, rehydrate food packs so can’t really give much context.

seosamh77
    Free Member

how much faster is a jet boil than putting a pot on a fire or a gas stove?

and one you’ve camped up, why do you need water boiling to be fast? 😆

stevious

and one you’ve camped up, why do you need water boiling to be fast?

Usually because I’m knackered or the weather is bad and I want to get to bed.

Or the midges are out.

scotroutes

It’s not just about speed, it’s about efficiency. Better use of fuel means you can carry less. Cold temperatures also have an effect – slowing down boiling times. Plus the midge!!!

I think we’ve now established that there are more efficient gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil. There are lighter gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil, there are cheaper gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil and there are more compact gas stoves/pans than a Jetboil – and that’s before considering alternative fuels which each have their pros and cons.

Trekster

So the best all rounder is ❓ 💡

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Jetboil’ is closed to new replies.