Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Jet2 Ski Carriage Policy
  • lank45
    Free Member

Anyone flown with Jet2 recently, mainly from Bristol, with skis?

Just been on the phone with ski total who charter a Jet2 flight to Chambery. Turns out their snowboard/ski carriage policy only allows you to have one board in your board bag, no boots, no jackets etc…

Has anyone flown with them and know what checks etc… are?

Woody
    Free Member

Wondered about this too as I’m flying next Saturday and wanted to take a board as well as skis.

Seems ridiculous as its costs enough as it is and I always put extra gear in the bag anyway for protection of skis!

oliverd1981
    Free Member

It’s been a while (2010) since I last tried it – but we got away with 2 boards, bindings and boots in 1 bag quite a few times. Probabkly at least 1 coat “for padding” Try to make sure it’s under 23kg. Definitely has to be less than 32kg.

I’ve never seen a board bag opened at check in – they get weighed, then they’re on the manifest. The guy at outsize baggage will x-ray and send it through so long as it’s stickered up. (Apllies to most of the northern airporsts we’ve used.

Aiport Kgs are smaller than the ones you might have at home.

I think it helps if you book a normal bag too and make sure this is significantly underweight – then if all else fails you can just take your board bag as your main bag, for all that it’s outsize.

Honestly this is a sensible implementation of the policy – if I ever go to skis I’ll be banging two pairs of skis and 2 sets of board in a board bag rather than wasting weigh having to take umpteen separate bags. (bags are surprisingly heavy on their own)

I think if you’re going at peak times you might find they’re much stricter.

Good luck at Chambery – never managed to get there and back without delays

Oh – take a load of baggage tags – the ones you write your adress on – they were insisting everyone coming home had them last time – but they weren’t giving them out until you got to the desk, imagine the queues…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    BenHouldsworth
    Free Member

Sadly Jet2 are going down the Ryanair/EasyJet route of raping you for every possible extra they can; shame as of the ‘budget’ companies they were the better one

wallop

Yes Chambery airport is a bit disorganised! Try not to get fogbound on your way home – that airport is way too small to cope with delays, eugh….

pacerc200
    Free Member

sorry but good thing about them only allowing 1 item in ski/board bag is that you will only have 1 item left on the tarmac when the plane takes off, worst airline ever. i would rather board for a week in a dome than fly with them.

lank45
    Free Member

That’s the thing, the holiday we’ve found is in an amazing chalet, one of the top three in Val d’Isere. The worry and headache of this one bag one board bull**** policy makes me think bugger it! It’s £1200 each too, so I would expect a decent level of service. Why do we get shafted as skiers/snowboarders… 20kg for summer, 20kg for winter, makes complete sense as my salopettes and speedos weigh the same :S

oliverd1981
    Free Member

oh should have mentioned earlier – if in doubt try one of the companies who’ll deliver you ski luggage direct from your home to your chalet – their advertised prices seem just as good as the flight operators carriage charges and they only have the usual 32kg limit. You’ll be able to breeze through Bristol and Chambery no problem. (you will however have nothing to sleep on when you get delayed)

jota180
    Free Member

Why do we get shafted as skiers/snowboarders… 20kg for summer, 20kg for winter, makes complete sense as my salopettes and speedos weigh the same :S

Paying for what you want to take with you shocker

lank45
    Free Member

jota180, I realise that sounded really petty! I’m going to book it, just means I need to buy a bigger North Face bag to fit my gear in 😀

bruk

Went with Jet2 a couple of years ago and worried about this as we were taking 18 month old too. Did pack just skis and board on way out but nobody at Manchester seemed to care so packed everything in them on way home and had no problems other than Chambery being usual rubbish place to sit and wait or about 4 hours.

Well tempted by the delivery companies next time as may well take 2 sprogs and would ease the stress of travel.

wallop

Just had a pleasant flight home from Turin on Flybe. Big seats and plenty of leg room. Bumpiest landing ever though, oof!

MS
    Free Member

Just general BS from the airline. Of course you can put more than one board in the bag as long as it doesn’t exceed the allowed weight.

Also you will be unlikely to actually get your board… apparently Chambery airport has a weight restriction so they just leave all skis and boards at home…great.

Agree, awful airline!

bigjim

Didn’t have a problem with them, would use them again. Had boots and clothes in the board bag, no issues. Mate was overweight on his bag as he had everything in it and they didn’t say a thing. Your mileage may vary.

tumbleweed
    Free Member

I returned from France last weekend flying Manchester to Grenoble. It was my first time flying Jet2 and I was quite impressed. We had the same small print about skis per bag. We chose to take the chance and got away with it without any questions asked, two sets of skis / poles in a double ski bag.

lank45
    Free Member

thanks wallop 🙁

wallop

Sorry 🙁

Have you already booked? What resort are you off to? I live in Bristol but have just got back from Serre Che and we went from Birmingham instead of BRS as it was cheaper!

lank45
    Free Member

We are near Derby and have booked Bristol as it’s £169 cheaper each. Booked this morning and off to Val d’Isere in Chalet Valpierre. Looking forward to it, just don’t want the hassle with boards being left behind.

Who did you fly from Birmingham with?

Anyone flown to/from Chambery, is it as bad as people make out?

jota180
    Free Member

If there’s a lot of bikes, skis, double bass’ etc going on any particular flight, there’s always going to be potential that it doesn’t all get on or they run out of time loading it, if lots turn up later rather than sooner.
    Try to choose less popular times/days to fly to locations that attract lots of equipment.

wallop

You will probably be fine. I flew to Chambery from Bristol last year and there were no problems. It was BMI Baby though. I actually thought that there was nobody flying to Chambery from Bristol this year, but I guess Jet2 have stepped into BMI’s shoes.

We flew from Brum with Flybe. Was very good. Small plane with 2 seats either side but they were very spacious! Turin airport pretty good too.

lank45
    Free Member

All will be fine I’m sure!

lank45
    Free Member

anyone know how to find out from your flight number who the carrier is?

wallop

Just have a look at the departure schedule for the airport, and check the same flight on that weekday.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

Anyone flown to/from Chambery, is it as bad as people make out?

It’s a small airport catering pretty much exclusively to low cost airlines. It’s only open in winter. They don’t have the greatest of radar or runway de-icing facilities – they can only take a small number of planes on stand.

It’s surrounded by mountains so only has a single, daytime(iirc) approach and at the end of the runway is a lake which is like a magnet for fog. It’s not conviently situated for any hotels or, well, anything really.

I think given all of this they do pretty well. If thereris snow at Chambery – a good winter holiday is likely to ensue or have been enjoyed. The check in girls sometimes have lovely smiles.

lank45
    Free Member

Just says ski total, which is the travel company who we’ve booked with. Found it now, it’s Jet2 as thought, but chartered only for ski total.

As I said, I’m sure it will be fine, least I aren’t flying from Edinburgh like the guys in the above post!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Jet2 Ski Carriage Policy’ is closed to new replies.

Members Notice New deal added to Members Discounts