Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Jet2 and bikes – any recent experiences?
  • wl
    Free Member

Has anyone flown from Leeds-Bradford (or anywhere else for that matter) with Jet2 and taken a bike recently? Any tips, warnings etc? And what’s their charge each way at the moment? Ta v much.

cvilla

I fly from Manchester last summer, bike allowance was 20KG including bike box, I used a cardboard box from a bike shop (NB this weighed 3.5KG) I had a steel touring bike with panniers and I had to take the seat/pin out and peddles off and put these in hand luggage to get under 20kg limit to avoid a fine of £30! the bike charge was about £70-80 on top of flight.
    I had a great time touring, but flying is not cheap, hence I do not do it a lot. Enjoy.

wl
    Free Member

cvilla – cheers for this. I’ve flown Jet2 with a bike in the past, but not in the last 2-3 years. Has the weight limit dropped to 20kg? Was it once higher? My bike in its bag must have weighed a few kilos more than that, but I never had a problem in the past. Just wondering it it’s still the same allowance now as it was then. I know EasyJet have just shrunk their allowance.

cvilla

Have a good search on their web page, especially as they are charging £££. I was a bit worried at check in (I had weighed the full box before and it was close) the scales at the airport showed spot on 20KG, not sure how strict they are, but excess seems steep. Hand luggage was 10kg but usual size restriction and no fluids, knifes etc, pedals seemed OK 🙂

coogan
    Free Member

Went with them last year to Spain with the bike. Everything was fine. You can’t book the bike online, you have to book your flight online and then phone them to add the bike. Think it was £60.

wl
    Free Member

Cheers both – sounds like nothing has changed since I last flew with them, which is cool, since it’s always been easy, hassle free and no added cost even though I’ve almost certainly been over my 20kg limit.

blurltrider
    Free Member

Easyjet are currently reviewing the change in policy they have made to bike weight allowance. I’m holding my breath waiting!!

hot_fiat

My bike box was about 2kg over the 23kg limit and my luggage 2kg under limit on returning from Malaga once. Shellacked gauleiter behind the counter couldn’t “get” the fact that the plane would burn the same fuel irrespective of where the errant 2kg was packed, thankfully me slowly starting to unpack the bike while on their scales altered their understanding of physics.

Also: if you book one-way from the EU, or different return destinations you’ll get charged in Euros which was an unexpected added expense.

singlespeedstu

Blur.

How do you know about easyjet reviewing their policy?
    Can you keep us all up to date please?

tomhoward

SSStu

Easyjet reduce sports baggage allowance but just for bikes. Updated.

UPDATE 13.30: In a tweet we’ve had this message:

“after many complaints from our customers we’re reviewing the bike weight limits and will have an update soon”

and an email stating:

“easyJet’s aim is to make flying with us as easy as possible for all. We are currently reviewing our bike weight limit policy and will be in touch again soon with an update.”

five7five
    Free Member

We flew from L/B to malaga back in sept 2013 and it was £80 per bike.
    It was a bit of a faff on finding where you drop off the bikes at both ends.
    Some had cardboard boxes one of which was torn but bike was ok the rest had bags.
    I’d say take off any long detachable handles as one came off conveyer covered in grease and take with you plenty of tape to repair any damage to boxes etc.
    we went with singletrack safari who were really good.

wl
    Free Member

five – thanks for this. Did you book those bikes in advance? Finally spoke to someone today and they said £25 each way per bike if you book ahead (which is what I’ve done previously).

sss – Ayup! Where you off this year, then? We still need to meet up in the Lakes sometime. Did a week with the two Marks last September – it was epic and ace.

singlespeedstu

Tom.
    Cheers for that.

How do Will.
    Not sure yet but i’d think we’ll be going to BV at some point.
    Drop us an email if you’re going over and want to meet up.
    Lakes sounds good give us a shout when you’ve got a plan together.

wl
    Free Member

sss – will do, Stu. I’ll defo be heading to the Lakes at least a couple of times this spring/summer/autumn – possibly just for weekends, but we could still hook up. Not yet sure about Alps – hopefully yes, in which case I might drop you a line to try to coincide with you two.

five7five
    Free Member

We did book in advance but you cannot book bikes online (there was no reduction for booking in advance). Golf bags skis etc you could but not bikes. Weight limit was 20kg no restriction on size tho.
    I rang because the website wasn’t specific about bikes and I was told that’s because the £25 they charge for golf clubs doesn’t apply to bikes.

wl
    Free Member

five – looks like they’re being inconsistent then, as they told me yesterday £25 each way for bikes. Case of luck on the day then I guess – depends who you get. In the past I’ve always paid £50 return from L-B airport. Cheers for your info.

simon1975

It looks like you might be able to add bikes online now for £30 per flight:
    http://www.jet2.com/new/extras/sports-equipment#

But we had to phone up a couple of months back to get ours sorted for this summer… Personally I wouldn’t risk just turning up and expecting to pay for them at check-in; they might refuse to carry them if the plane’s fully booked.

Anyhow, we had no issues last summer when we used Jet2 EMA to PMI, and I don’t think their policy has changed since then.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Jet2 and bikes – any recent experiences?’ is closed to new replies.