Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Jet-washable bike components
  • partickbateman
    Free Member

On the early morning train down to London so bit of a grumble/rant ahead.

I just got thinking about bike components and how we’re always told never to jet wash them/the bikes. As my age advancesand I’m burdened with extra responsibility I find this increasingly annoying. If we can go to the bottom of the Mariana trench, surely we can make a headset that can withstand a pressure washer?

I appreciate I may not be considering the finer points here, but can’t believe it would be that difficult a feat. If a manufacturer (especially a UK one – I’m looking at you Hope) made a range of parts that made a bike pressure-washable, time poor/lazy (delete as appropriate) people like me would buy in droves.

In other words it seems like a pretty simple competitive edge that could be gained, and no-one seems to do it. So, what am I missing?

passtherizla
    Free Member

I reckon I’m quicker with the hose and hot soapy water… and it gives a better finish.

JAG

I work in the car industry and we can’t make brake piston seals that can resist pressure washers!

Be very careful if you point one at your bike as they are very powerful.

Dickyboy

possible yes, but probably expensive & heavy too, so not for me thanks

jameso

If they were possible to make people wouldn’t like the seal friction, especially in the hubs and BB.

partickbateman
    Free Member

I’d take a weight penalty for it. As for expensive, well that doesn’t really stop a lot of manufacturers anyway does it?

If brake pistons can’t resist though, I guess I’m underestimating the might of a pressure washer. Hot soapy water and a hose just doesn’t do the job for me though – what am I doing wrong? I just want to be able to blast the crap out of tricky places without having to dismantle everything!

Northwind

I could definitely make a headset that resists pressure washers. You won’t be able to turn the bars though.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I was thinking this the other day whilst fitting a headset at the weekend. Surely it doesn’t need to be sealed to resist a pressure washer, just shielded. If you had another overlapping cup as part of the crown race you could point a jetwash right in it and the water just shoot arround and out the other side which must be a path of least resistance compared to the seals.

epicyclo

partickbateman – Member
    …Hot soapy water and a hose just doesn’t do the job for me though – what am I doing wrong?…

Washing your bike is what you’re doing wrong. It’s an MTB, they will get dirty. A wipe is good enough.

I just hose the tyres so it doesn’t drop stuff as I wheel it around.

BTW my bearings seem to last forever.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Jet-washable bike components’ is closed to new replies.