Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 443 total)
  • Jesus Christ
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Having talked about Michael McIntyre, then Piers Morgan, I thought I’d just ask about Jesus Christ. I mean , Is it just me or was he a bit full of himself? Yes, sure he did some good stuff with the loaves and fishes and the water into wine, but that was a while back and whilst it might be said that his early stuff was good in it’s time. Would it really cut it now? Isn’t time folks stopped going on about him and paid more atention to more relevant folks like Paul Daniels, David Blaine or that Criss Angel Bloke?

alpin
    Free Member

Jesus Christ

… is a made up figure of fantasy.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1543831119879192379#

sharki
    Free Member

For a scruffy, homeless, B’stid carpenter, he had alot of respect.

headfirst
    Free Member

Jesus Christ is so old news. Its all about Zenu now.

Kuco

Sandal wearing hippy.

bassspine
    Free Member

Its all about Zenu now.

As a pastafarian, I object. It’s all about the flying spaghetti monster.

higgo
    Free Member

Having talked about Michael McIntyre, then Piers Morgan…

I thought I’d just ask about Jesus Christ.

That’s quite a leap.

Kevevs
    Free Member

boring fiction for other people.

partyboy
    Free Member

Jesus Christ Superstar,
    Came down from heaven on a Yamaha.
    Did a skid, killed a kid…..
    Knocked his head on a dustbin lid.

project
    Free Member

Jesus was a carpenter, well he could perform a miricle when he next goes into B and Q, and get a member of staff to serve him then.

timdrayton
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be about a longpigs track

No its just more stw tat

alpin
    Free Member

Consider an individual who does not believe in Scripture.

– How would they explain how the earth’s rock layers, fossils, mountains and valleys came to be?

– Answer: Through processes that take millions of years.

– The processes of erosion, sedimentation and plate tectonics that occurred in the past produced what we observe around us and those same processes are still working today.

– Have you ever been to the Grand Canyon? What are you told about how it formed?

– ”The Colorado River through the slow process of erosion carved out the canyon over millions of years.”

(Even on a vacation you need to be ready to discern naturalistic presuppositions)

If these processes took millions of years, and recorded history only goes back thousands of years, how do they know how it happened?

– Many people are looking for ways to explain our world through natural processes eliminating the need for a Creator God. The Bible predicted this would happen.

Cougar

My old RE teacher once said, “Jesus was who he said he was, or he was the greatest con artist who ever lived.”

Assuming that he ever lived, I’m inclined to agree. Though I doubt my conclusion was what he was looking for.

Cougar

Alpin > I’m probably being thick, but not exactly sure what point you’re trying to make?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

All very well, but who did he ever say he was?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Cougar – Member
    Alpin > I’m probably being thick,

The Bible said you would be.

bassspine
    Free Member

Many people are looking for ways to explain our world through natural processes eliminating the need for a Creator God. The Bible predicted this would happen.

reference please.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Romans

1:21 For even though they knew God, they did not honor Him as God or give thanks, but they became futile in their speculations, and their foolish heart was darkened.

1:22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

….

1:25 For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen.

Kevevs
    Free Member

I don’t give a shit.

Coyote
    Free Member

Try reading the teachings of Jesus. If you can brush aside the coolness of atheism, you may find that what he reportedly said wasn’t that outrageous really. Bit left wing for some on here, but there you go. You *will* find that what he said bears very little resemblence to the teachings of the established church(es).

Massive wealth for the church whilst millions die in poverty? If Jesus were around now, I think he would be pretty pissed off by that.

The African sub-continent, also known as “The Cradle of Civilisation”, struggling to survive whilst God’s representative on Earth rides around in a bullet-proof phone box? Can’t see a guy who hung around with a very eclectic bunch of friends being terribly impressed by that at all.

alpin
    Free Member

i think that jesus never existed. i do believe that dinosaurs did exists. this is based on evidence and not a book.

HTH

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ah, but it just so happens the evidence is aligned with what you believe anyway. What have you done in the past when you have encountered evidence which is in direct opposition to what you believe?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I think its quite likely that there was a Jewish prophet that the story of Jesus is based on. Quite a lot of the new testament is in accordance with the history of that time and place IIRC

alpin
    Free Member

bollox

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Clearly something you feel uncomfortable discussing alpin, sorry to have perturbed your bliss

Kevevs
    Free Member

Got any evidence to back that up TJ?

samuri
    Free Member

How about if you want to believe something then cool and great, go for it? We all have our own beliefs and they don’t have to be based on any truth.

What’s really the problem is when people decide that it’s time their (unfounded) beliefs should start affecting other people. Those people need a good kick up the chuff.

nonk
    Free Member

it’s me i walk amongst you even today.
    tell you though i aint happy with what i see, to be honest i think your all going to hell…i will see about a waver for stw members cant promise out though.

backhander
    Free Member

samuri +1.
    But why do all the non believers feel it their duty to bait the believers?
    If it helps people with their lives, let em be I say.

samuri
    Free Member

to be honest i think your all going to hell

Heaven would appear, according to those people still alive, to be filled with either millions of forelock tugging worshippers prostrating themselves before the mighty one, or blokes with big beards constantly shagging 72 virgins.

Would hell be worse than that?

Kevevs
    Free Member

There’s nothing wrong with believing in a god or something, or whatever. It’s what people do. It’d be nice if jesus popped round and dished out some magic fish and wine. Cheaper than going shopping.

samuri
    Free Member

But why do all the non believers feel it their duty to bait the believers?

Well I’m guilty of this too but only when someone attempts to ram some doctrine down my throat. After that I consider them fair game.

If someone quietly thinks that not eating a pig makes them a better person I have no argument with them. If they knock on my door and start telling me that I’m off to hell unless I pay them money and declare war on the gay community then I have to admit, I’ve got an issue with them.

Organised religion is a terrible crime against humanity. I’m inclined to believe that joining a faith rather than accepting one is a bad step for all involved.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

will you mediators and conciliators Butt Out!? I’m trying to have an argument here!

bigant

Kind of ironic that a carpenter was nailed to a plank. The bible would have ended very differently if he’d had his toolkit with him.

It was a bit long for me I’ll stick with Thomas the tank engine. It has morals and everything.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kevevs – Member

Got any evidence to back that up TJ?

Only memory 🙂

I think Herod was known to have been around and that there was a Roman census. Its that sort of stuff that I remember being in accordance with accepted history. I think there might even have been a comet that would be the star the magi followed.

I think it is reasonably likely that there was jewish prophet wandering around Galilee are at that sort of time being a ruddy nuisance to the establishment who eventually got himself crucified when they got really fed up with him

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

If they knock on my door and start telling me that I’m off to hell unless I pay them money

Are they doing that to you too samuri ? 😯

I had one last week, three the previous week, and two the week before that !
    I’ve stopped giving them money now …… it was getting a bit much really.

I thought perhaps I should call the police, what you reckon samuri ?

bigrich

doesn’t Chinese/Japanese recorded history go back further than the events in the bible, disproving Noah and all that stuff?

anyway, between 70 and 90% of the world are god botherers (mostly poor people and ‘mericans) so it don’t really matter what anyone on here thinks.

RustySpanner

Kind of ironic that a carpenter was nailed to a plank. The bible would have ended very differently if he’d had his toolkit with him.

Have you got no consideration AT ALL!?!
    This is absolutely disgusting – you should be ashamed of yourself – PLEASE put ‘SPOILER ALERT’ in the title if you’re going to give away the ending – I dunno, some people, no consideration………..

I preferred the film anyway – Robert Powell’s Salford accent somehow made it more ‘real’.

alpin
    Free Member

I think there might even have been a comet that would be the star the magi followed.

was having this conversation with an aunt the other day…

the stars that form ‘Orion’s Belt’ are, in some cultures, known as the ‘Three Kings’. on Dec 24th the brightest star of the east aligns itself with the ‘Three Kings’. if you were to draw an imaginary (straight) line through these four stars then the point where the line hits the horizon just happens to be the point where the sun rises on the 25th.
    the morning of the 25th is also important as it is the first day when the rising sun begins to migrate back towards its summer solstice. 22nd being the shortest day along with 23rd and 24th.

Jesus = Sun God. or Sun God = Jesus.

there have been plenty of other Sun Gods before our current Sun God, Jesus.

the Egyptians had their Sun God (Horace), the Persians had one, as did the Acient Greeks. funnily the story of each is an almost exact copy of the last (or just a big coincidence).

the Egyptian Sun God, Horace (approx. 3000bc): born 25th Dec; virgin birth; eastern star guiding three kings; 12 diciples; betrayed; dead for three days before resurrecting.

the Greeks had their Sun God (approx 1400bc), whose CV reads much like that of Horace’s.

the Persians had Mythra (GF’s dad is Persian and will happily recount the similarities between the acient Persian beliefs and those of today), approx 1100bc, who was born 25th Dec, born by a virgin, had 12 diciples and was dead for three days before coming back to life.

the Indians had one too. in fact, many small and large religions/faiths had a messenger who’s story matches closely that of Jesus’s.

the story of Moses has been plagarised from religious texts that pre-date biblical texts by thousands of years. a lucky guy set adrift in a reed basket so as to be spared from infanticide and raised by a princess or queen who goes on to dish out the orders of god.
    in fact, the Egyptian name for this comparable fellow was Mises… just one typo away from Moses.

you couldn’t make this sh!t up…… oh.

and as for easter…. convinient (for Jesus/biblical authors) that the Romans decided to crucify him – and even more convinient that he should resurrect – at the time of year that life begins to bloom once again once winter loosens its clutches.

there’s plenty of information out there that you can read. there is also a lot of information that argues the case for the Bible, but when presented with reasonable questions and their response is as follows:

“Other scientists, called creation scientists, have a different idea about when dinosaurs lived. They believe they can solve any of the supposed dinosaur mysteries and show how the evidence fits wonderfully with their ideas about the past, beliefs that come from the Bible.”

.. then i have to baulk and laugh.

duntmatter
    Free Member

was having this conversation with an aunt the other day…

That’s a proper conversation. Nice.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 443 total)

The topic ‘Jesus Christ’ is closed to new replies.