Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Jessops
  • molgrips
    Free Member

To say film is outdated is in the eyes of many just wrong…Old Fashioned perhaps or niche/elitist yes, but not outdated.

Synonyms in my view.

Outdated = mostly replaced by something newer.

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Perhaps they will keep the stores shut & just become an online concern?

Wouldn’t there then be even less reason to use them over Amazon, who will likely be cheaper?

billyblackheart
    Free Member

Outdated = mostly replaced by something newer.

Quite possibly so others might read it as inferior, has no place in the market etc. I’m all for digital and workflow and output has undoubtedly improved because of it, but film isn’t going to die anytime soon 🙂

stumpy01

bbh, I don’t mean to cause any offence with the term outdated. There is nothing wrong with outdated. Many people think I am outdated as I prefer to buy CDs and then rip them to mp3 rather than just download my music. My method is a valid one, but I am under no illusion that is is anything but outdated.

My Dad still listens to tons of music on vinyl. Outdated? Definitely. So what? If he went into HMV, most of them would know what vinyl is, but most of them probably wouldn’t know what an Ortofon cartridge is…..

footflaps

Well as this thread is full of pedants…

Don’t get me wrong I have access to a Nikon D1 for work purposes I use a D5 and my snappy snap camera is a D40 but of the prints

The D1 is truly archaic and most camera phones out perform it!

The D5 doesn’t exist yet, you’ll need to wait another 3 years (they redo the flagship every 4 years).

stumpy01

MrSalmon, when I bought my Nikon D80 & lens Jessops were the cheapest.
    They were also the cheapest when I got my p300 & price matched when I got my sb-700 flash.

Presumably, if they get rid of their stores & associated overheads they will be able to compete better with the likes of Amazon.

billyblackheart
    Free Member

The D1 is truly archaic and most camera phones out perform it!
    The D5 doesn’t exist yet, you’ll need to wait another 3 years (they redo the flagship every 4 years).

As in the bottom of the D5 range there are three of them aren’t there not the 100 200 etc

So what? If he went into HMV, most of them would know what vinyl is, but most of them probably wouldn’t know what an Ortofon cartridge is…..

Apparently Vinyl sales are currently higher than they have been in a while and are increasing. On Radio4 the other week John Lewis were on saying they are going to sell music, but exclusively on vinyl 😉

phil.w
    Free Member

Vinyl sales are currently higher than they have been

Higher than when? Pre CD?

billyblackheart
    Free Member
    CountZero

Ace Cameras in Bath used to be good (I have not used them for a few months). I presume they are one your good camera shops in Bath list?

Yup. I bought my Lumix TZ30 there last year, and I always stop and look in their window when I’m in Bath. Good little shop.
    The other one I was thinking of is London Camera Exchange in Cheap Street. There’s also Bath Photo Optics in Abbeygate Street, but I’ve never been in there.

ski
    Free Member

When Tim Brooks took control after the ‘family’ left at the AGM at the Belfrey in Brum Tim stood in from of all the managers and head office staff and said, Jessops will never sell mobile phones.

He might be right, but I think Jessops missed a massive opportunity not to get on board with mobile technology.

Me, I left the Co. a few months after that AGM, I am sure there are a number of reasons why Jessops failed in the end, but that stood out to me at the time.

In the early years under the Family there were some great, well trained staff on board, then budgets staff targets and commission all slowly filtered in, photographic experience went out of the window, sales was where it was at and Jessops lost a great deal of regular customers.

My little store relied on repeat business, we had a great customer base all on first name terms with the staff, I used to spend so much time after work doing home visits much to the annoyance of HO.

HO used to change our price matching policy daily in the early Internet days, some days we could match, some days we could not, we even had to check if we could match our own online prices, it was a mess!

I still bump into some of my old customers and they all ask when did it start to go wrong?

and yes everyone in my store new where the Paterson tanks were stored;)

Staff no. **01, ski, signing off this post

I wish the brand well and hope it lives on, for old times sake…

withersea
    Free Member

I loved working at Jessops, worked in the Norwich, New Oxford Street and Leeds branch about twenty years ago for a staturday/summer job. And yes I know what a Patterson tank, as well as cibachrome, tmax and a million one other photography bits and pieces you learnt from working there.

Five point if any former jessops staff can tell me what a JEP4003536 is or for those who joined later JESP4003536. Did anyone ever see one of those fictional FUCKIT items of stock that new staff had to find on the system?

Loved looking through people photos as well! Ohhh wasn’t meant to tell you we did that – beach holiday pics were always the best!

footflaps

As in the bottom of the D5 range there are three of them aren’t there not the 100 200 etc

That’s not how the Nikon numbering scheme works:

D1, D2, D3, D4 are the FX flagship pro sports / journalism cameras, new one every 4 years.

D40, D60, D80, D90 are the top end DX cameras.

D100, D200, D300, D800 numbering is slightly inconsistent, as it was top end DX but from the 800 onwards they are FX Pro Landscape cameras.

D5100, D5200 are the entry level DX SLR models

wwaswas

Oooh, an argument about the nomenclature of Nikon digital cameras!

*pulls up chair*

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Jessops’ is closed to new replies.