Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Jersey- what's it like and recommendations?
  • lobby_dosser
    Free Member

My other half, for some reason, is determined we go to Jersey. Anyone got any recommendations of where to stay/do? Are there decent MTB routes or bike trails?

Cheer for any advice.

globalti
    Free Member

Could be worse, she could be wanting to go to some hole like Ibiza or Egypt.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

true globalti- i think they may be running an advertising campaign or something.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

It’s not the most exciting of destinations but It’s nice enough for a relaxing short break.

We stayed at the Royal Yacht Hotel which was good, overlooks the harbour and an easy stroll into the centre of St Helier. I’d certainly stay there again.

Didn’t really see much in the way of mountain bike trails but the lanes are all pretty low traffic and you can get anywhere by bike. You can hire bikes but they are all pretty low end stuff so take your own if you’re really gonna use them. Take the bikes over on the ferry to visit the other islands.

Loads of nice beaches, loads of 2nd world war history (if that floats your boat).

It even has a bike themed cafe.

DezB
    Free Member

[edited]Sorry, I thought you meant to go and live!

globalti
    Free Member

How about sea kayaking? I bet it’s good there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s nice for a relaxing mini-break 3 days ? Tour the island, take in the views, eat and drink, relax (would recommend you search out restaurants and make bookings as best places are populr and often small). If you can get afloat that would add something, it’s not quite so convenient for Herm and Sark as Guernsey. The roads are pretty narrow, I’ve only driven never biked but I am sure that would be a good way to get around as it’s only a small island.

tomhoward

I hear it’s a great place for your money to go on holiday to.

jambalaya
    Free Member

I hear it’s a great place for your money to go on holiday to.

@tom
    full disclosure of bank accounts to UK taxman FYI, if people want to play that game it’s Singapore

jerseychaz

The West Coast and parishes are probably the nicest (but I’m biased). From a riding perspective, the North Coast cliff paths are good, there are some cheeky trails elsewhere. I’ve got good contacts who can sort you out with a ride if you decide to go PM me. For self catering accom, try Discovery Bay – its on St Ouens Bay and not near anything although that’s a relative term in Jersey. Car Hire is cheap enough and you wont use much fuel.

Chaz

sgn23
    Free Member

For me a Jersey summer holiday all depends on the weather. I go every year and last year was amazing with fabulous weather in July. If it rains there’s still plenty to do for a first time visit.
    Forget about MTB, there’s way better in the UK, but a road bike ride around the island would be good.
    Getting out on the water is also fun. Kayak hire is readily available and you can try coasteering (it wasn’t called that when I first did it!) Around the north coast to see some hidden bays, caves, tunnels etc.
    There’s loads of good food options and a few Michelin’s if that’s your thing.
    Lots of history too, from ww2 and Elizabethan times.
    Hiring a car is essential to get to the best bits, but cheap.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Cheers for the info folks, sounds like her cup of tea and enough to keep me interested too.

ski
    Free Member

A little beech that gets overlooked as there is a steep stepped walk to it is Portelet Bay.

Catch it when the tide is coming in 😉

Quiet and stunning

wallop

The zoo is lovely.

burko73

We always end up stopping over at jersey on the way to st Malo. Looks lovely and the coast etc is great. Some amazing bass fishing if you fancy that sort of thing. Easy for a spray trip to st Malo which is an interesting city.

If you take a car the fast cat from Poole to Jersey is pretty efficient way to get over there. Run by condor.

rocketman
    Free Member

The inlaws – who like it quiet – went for a week and said never again it’s too quiet 😯 🙂

ransos
    Free Member

Jersey’s really close to France. Which is where you should go instead.

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

Jersey’s really close to France. Which is where you should go instead.

I would go to France/Italy/Spain etc but she wants to go to Jersey 😕

It doesnt sound too bad for a relaxing week.

sgn23
    Free Member

As it sounds like you’re going now, here’s some more ideas

> Breakfast at El Tico on St Ouen’s bay (even better if the tide’s high)
    > evening BBQ on St Ouen’s bay watching the sun set (again better at high tide)
    > Simple shellfish lunch from the German Bunker at L’etacq (Faulkners Fisheries)
    > Climb (steps) down to Plemont bay – one of the best on the island (covered at high tide)
    > German War Tunnels for history
    > Elizabeth Castle out in the town bay
    > Kayaking with these guys
    > Shopping in St Helier if you like that, but most things (everything?) is cheaper it the UK. Take a walk around the marinas afterwards to admire some expensive yachts.
    > Day trip to St. Malo with Condor Ferries

there’s loads more!

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

thanks sgn23, some good options there

skiprat
    Free Member

We went a couple of months ago for 4 nights and did most of the stuff on sgn23’s list. We had a car for a couple of days and with £10 of fuel did the whole island a few times!! We worked our way round the coast road and each bay one day.

Some of the beaches/bays are stunning. Its a nice place to just go and relax and not do much other than eat and drink. German bunker fish shop for lunch when the suns out is great, lobster, prawns, scallops, bread, salad, jersey royals and a couple of cans of pop for less than £20. Whats not to like? (seafood i guess if you don’t like it).

Lots of WW2 history, some of which is really interesting.

All in a great place for a few days but that’s about all you’ll want there.

willard

You could always take a day trip over to some of the other islands. Head over to Sark and see Europe’s last feudal society, or Herm and experience, well, nothing.

Alderney is worth a visit (I’m biased) and you could always try and get a sea fishing charter in.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Jersey- what's it like and recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.