Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Jersey registered cars – Issues?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Just been looking at Autotrader and seen a local ish dealer has a job lot of almost new Fiestas that are clearly ex rental etc from Jersey.

How do they stack up in terms of warranty, are they UK spec cars ? Will insurance etc be usual?

br
    Free Member

Probably never been past 3rd gear 🙂

hammyuk
    Free Member

Blanket 30 mph limit across the whole place so they won’t have been ragged even if they were left in first gear!
    Other than that shouldn’t be an issue.

unovolo
    Free Member

Better off looking at crash damage on them due to all the narrow lanes.

Just in Jersey now visiting family and you see plenty of them due to the special reg prefix all the hirecars have.

konabunny
    Free Member

Was reading an Honest Jihn column ages ago where some punter was complaining about brake problems on an Audi. HJ told him it was his fault for living in Jersey and never giving the disks and pads a decent blast at speed.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Avoid any diesel variants with DPFs 😆

butcher

Blanket 30 mph limit across the whole place so they won’t have been ragged even if they were left in first gear!

Lots of stop/start driving though, and very short trips. Wouldn’t fancy a high miler from Jersey. On the plus side, weather is generally pretty warm over there and the cars don’t seem to suffer the side effects of our miserable salty roads.

I would’ve thought the car would have to be re-registered for use in the UK. But I’d guess they’re essentially UK cars being right hand drive.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve got one. The dealer registered it and it’s basically no different to normal car other than it’s low mileage. I would be wary of a dpf diesel though.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Actually Jersey’s speed limit is 40mph, whilst Guernsey is 35mph, but lots of 20mph zones.

Channel Islands cars will have had a lot of stop/start driving, and brakes get a good working over, most Journeys will be about 15 minutes fir Guernsey, a bit longer for Jersey.

Most of the rental fleets get changed every year and will generally have low mileage. Check for pavement wheel damage, and also check the wheel alignment, they will probably also be on their 3rd or 4th door mirror.

As for salt damage nothing from when it snows as this roads don’t get salted, but a windy high tide will see many being driven through foot deep salt water.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

So all promising so far then

I was concerned about the warranty being valid mainly.

Fiesta 1.0 Eco boost so no diesel issues

nemesis
    Free Member

I got that engine on a focus and it’s great.

PePPeR

Make sure the import taxes have been paid…

scaredypants

my wife had a focus that was an ex-Jersey, presumed rental car

ran fine for years

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

In the process of buying one.

£5k off new price and 4K miles.

Thanks for info

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Jersey registered cars – Issues?’ is closed to new replies.