Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 189 total)
  • jerry adams arrested
  • scandalous
    Free Member

About time

imnotverygood

Not sure what good this will serve, even if he is guilty

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If he is guilty, justice will be served, which is as it should be.
    If he is innocent, someone’s going to have some serious egg on their face, but again, justice.

To have arrested him, which is a very public act, I would guess that there is some compelling evidence.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    scandalous
    Free Member

No way his hands are clean.

Drac

Not sure what good this will serve, even if he is guilty

Well someone who is possibly guilty of taking part in a murder should really be prosecuted, letting them go free certainly won’t do much good.

MoreCashThanDash

Given the position that he is reputed to have held, you can’t help but wonder what he would presumably – if it’s true – known about or been involved in.

Unpleasant or not, when you try and make peace with alleged former terrorists, it puts you in a difficult position if evidence then links them to a particular crime. Makes you realise just how clever the South African truth and reconciliation process was.

(Have I phrased that in such a way that STW can’t be sued?)

peteimpreza

I hope they have a cast iron case and he ends up behind bars for a very long time.

However, you have to worry if this will re-ignite the “troubles”.

scandalous
    Free Member

Can’t see they would have jumped early on this.

ninfan
    Free Member

Boston tapes I wonder?

Will he get leniency for all those years as a tout?

ton

has his pal been lifted too?

CountZero

However, you have to worry if this will re-ignite the “troubles”.

For some, they’ve never stopped.

bearnecessities

1. Good
    2. Who’s Jerry? 😉

scandalous
    Free Member

Good point!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Link?

Drac

Any news site.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member
    sv

has his pal been lifted too?

We can only hope he will be.

gwaelod
    Free Member

I wonder if this was on the Giro d’ Italia’s Risk Register

br
    Free Member

I remember watching a documentary a few years ago regarding her killing and what her kids went through. Horrible.

Hope they’ve finally got them with evidence that’ll convict.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get your hopes for any kind of conviction for him or McGuiness for any crimes or acts of terrorism they have committed. On the other hand they will continue to push for the conviction of many soldiers and police during the troubles.

Northwind

Hah. That’d be an interesting one wouldn’t it, Adams confesses and says “Right, your turn”

mrmo
    Free Member

Problem is quite simple, there are a lot of guilty men and women, some in the Republic, some in NI and some on the mainland. Some killed, some told others to do the killing.

How many politicians on all sides have pasts that could be used against them? How many “soldiers” and police on all sides did things that are questionable? Will we see police officers arrested and charged for passing information to Loyalists? Will we see Para’s and SAS arrested?

From reading the article it sounds like JA is going to talk, whether this leads to anything more who knows.

I am not convinced that trials are going to a panacea. Sometimes it is better not to dig to deep.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I wouldn’t get your hopes for any kind of conviction for him or McGuiness for any crimes or acts of terrorism they have committed.

Why, are they protected by the Tony Blair Protocol ?

epicyclo

Reconciliation would be the better way.

Fan the flames and there will be more fire, more suffering.

footflaps

+1

the only way is forward not back, and they’ve still got a very long way to go in NI. More peace walls have been built since the Good Friday Agreement than before, so things are far from ‘normal’ over there.

NB For those that don’t know, a peace wall is a 40′ high wall between loyalist and republican streets designed to stop petrol bombs…..

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Reconciliation is the way forward but Jean McConville was not a “legitimate” military target. Justice must be seen. I have no opinion on Adams culpability btw, and I do recognise his invaluable contribution to the peace process.

Speshpaul

“”While I have never disassociated myself from the IRA and I never will, I am innocent of any part in the abduction, killing or burial of Mrs McConville.”

so would you like to talk about the abductions and killings you did order or take part in?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

Fan the flames and there will be more fire, more suffering.

Much as it would pain me to see Adams and his ilk not just walk free, but have positions of trust and power in the UK, I wholeheartedly agree Brian.

slowoldman

That nice Mr Adams? Surely not?

martinhutch

Much as I’d like to see GA rot in prison, I would be very surprised if any charges for him or any senior SF politician come out of this.

This formal interview, if anything, is more likely to be helpful to him. He can say, yes, I was implicated, but the police have interviewed me, looked at the evidence, and not taken the matter any further.

Ready to be surprised, obviously.

mrmo
    Free Member

Reconciliation is the way forward but Jean McConville was not a “legitimate” military target. Justice must be seen.

Problem as i see it, Loyalists were also guilty of similar, so where do you stop?

Everyone wants the truth, everyone wants justice, but sometimes, unfortunately, it isn’t the best thing for the greater good.

seosamh77
    Free Member

epicyclo – Member

Fan the flames and there will be more fire, more suffering.I agree with this, everyone wants justice on all sides, but an amnesty would be more beneficial than pursuing justice that will never come.

dannyh
    Free Member

Everyone wants the truth, everyone wants justice, but sometimes, unfortunately, it isn’t the best thing for the greater good.

Eminently sensible, but try to stand in front of some bereaved families and say that.

I’m not being confrontational with you – just trying to illustrate how this kind of ‘process’ cannot truly succeed without the buy-in of all parties.

I wouldn’t shed any tears for Gerry Adams as a man – a very astute political operator shall we say?

toxicsoks
    Free Member

Used to know a lad that served in NI with the “funnies” – always said Adams was up to his neck in blood. In mitigation (sort of) it appears that said “funnies” weren’t that much better, in light of recent evidence.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Boston tapes I wonder?

Yes. As was Bell.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

He had his chance (during the peace process) to push for a truth and reconciliation commission (a la South Africa).

Personally, I think he didn’t take it because of things like this coming out.

He fancies himself a big politician and, even to his supporters, ordering the torture (from the evidence on her remains) and murder of the mother of 10 kids for trying to help a dying british soldier in the street, and then claiming she was a tout (informer) doesn’t read as well as “freedom fighter”.

If british soldiers might still face court over bloody sunday (and if they pulled the trigger on unarmed people then they definitely should) then adams should not escape justice if there is evidence.

My prediction, nothing will happen.

N.B. For those who say “it was the same on both sides” ..
    I agree that many bad things were done by both sides, but I defy you to produce evidence that any other current politician in the UK has ever ordered the deliberate torture and murder of an innocent woman?

konabunny
    Free Member

You phrased that very carefully to exclude Thatcher.

Well someone who is possibly guilty of taking part in a murder should really be prosecuted, letting them go free certainly won’t do much good.

Tons of murderers went free as part of the peace process.

eat_the_pudding
    Free Member

konabunny .. “You phrased that carefully to exclude Thatcher”

If you are talking about me? (not sure?) I’m not entirely sure what you mean by careful wording?

Are you saying that Thatcher ordered the deliberate torture and murder of an innocent woman? (apologies if I’ve got the wrong end of the stick).

Also “Tons of [CONVICTED] murderers went free as part of the peace process.”

But there was never a decision (even with all the “letters” nonsense of a few months ago) not to pursue people for crimes where there were no current convictions and where new evidence was available.

As I see it the choices are either
    a)If hes guilty he should go to jail (as should anyone who killed an innocent civilian).
    OR:
    b) Everyone should tell the truth and no-one gets punished (truth and reconciliation commission)

Even Gerry can’t have it both ways.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 189 total)

The topic ‘jerry adams arrested’ is closed to new replies.