Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)
  • jeremy vine radio 2. Who cycle commutes the furthest.
  • zippykona

As it says.

mrmo
    Free Member

I know others go further, 16.5 miles door to door each way. Only manage it 4 times Per week

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes but what do you do when it rains 😉

wbss
    Free Member

50mi round trip.

theflatboy
    Free Member

a paltry 7 miles each way here. though i occasionally bolster it by going longer ways round*.

* this only used to happen prior to the arrival of my son and now basically never does anymore.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

When I do it, 73 mile round trip.

Don’t do it that often though!

topangarider
    Free Member

5 miles each way – every day all year round, regardless of weather. If I don’t bike, I run.

adi66
    Free Member

15 miles each way each day – I leave the house at 05:30 every mornign so I get in time to have a wash * and get into the office to start at 07:00.

When it rains I wear a waterproof jacket, and MTFU. 😀

* By shower I mean a wash in the sink in the OUTSIDE toilets!!!!!! Brrrr at least it has Hot water 🙂

tomhoward

5.2 mile round trip. Bask in my magnificence.

Why aren’t you basking?

adi66
    Free Member

5 miles each way – every day all year round, regardless of weather. If I don’t bike, I run.

I usually do that when I’m working at my “home plant” – LOVE running to work in the summer… 6 and a bit miles each way.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Will should be along shortly.
    30 miles door to door, regardless of the weather-or so he tells me

mrmo
    Free Member

yes but what do you do when it rains

even in this **** summer it is surprising how many days it DIDN’T rain when commuting.

ads-b
    Free Member

26 miles each way.

Once a week winter.
    Twice or three times a week summer.

makeitorange
    Free Member

Only 9 miles each way but I do it everyday rain or shine. Can be boosted up to 20 or 30 miles if I take the scenic route which I’m planning to do at least once a week in 2013.

adi66
    Free Member

Is it REALLY all about HOW FAR? surely its just that by commuting every day without a car / motorbike / train / bus etc your showing everyone else how:

* Super Fit
    * Environmentally Aware
    * Hard as Nails

…you are 😀

tomhoward

Is it REALLY all about HOW FAR? surely its just that by commuting every day without a car / motorbike / train / bus etc you’re showing everyone else how:

* Super Fit
    * Environmentally Aware
    * Hard as Nails
    * Too skint/tight to pay for the above modes of transport
    you are I am.

FTFY

fizzicist
    Free Member

Used to do 47 miles each way. very very occasionally.

It hurt. A lot.

Now have a 13 mile each way ride, which unfortunately covers 300 meters of climbing, most of it in one section.

woody2000

Will should be along shortly

Will’s commute isn’t actually all that long, it’s the multiple laps of Regent’s park and extra bits that up the mileage 😉

bigG
    Free Member

46 mile round trip that I didn’t do that often last year, but will be doing tomorrow for the first of many times this year.

mrmo
    Free Member

Is it REALLY all about HOW FAR? surely its just that by commuting every day without a car / motorbike / train / bus etc your showing everyone else how:

* Super Fit
    * Environmentally Aware
    * Hard as Nails

…you are

You missed the ability to eat anything and everything!!!

I must be one of the few people who has LOST weight over christmas. not enough food!!!!! i have gone from 71 to 69 kgs…

rj2dj
    Free Member

11 miles each way. My spreadsheet tells me I managed it just 3 times in 2012. Must try harder.

willard

3.5 miles door to door, but repeated twice each day (so that I can get home to walk the dogs). However, I am monumentally lazy and driving is just such the easy option when the weather is bad, so it does not happen as opften as it should.

This year though, the commute forms an integral part of my training, so I will either be running or cycling it a _lot_ more.

Fingers crossed I don’t get wiped out by an HGV then.

bland

4.7 miles and 300m of climbing for a 7am start.

Not the nicest wake up but do feel better for it (when its not piddling it down which seems rare at the moment)

tomhoward

11 miles each way. My spreadsheet tells me I managed it just 3 times in 2012.

You need a speadsheet for that?

weeksy

Jeeez, i’m impressed boys… Respect to you big milers on here !!!!

flange
    Free Member

25 miles each way, 2/3 times a week. 1 day on the fixed, the rest geared as my knees can’t take it

nealglover
    Free Member

11 miles each way. My spreadsheet tells me I managed it just 3 times in 2012. Must try harder.

You also win the prize for Least Used Spreadsheet of 2012.

Congratulations 😉

cookeaa

Previous job was 20 miles (40 mile round trip) with Hills…

Current job is a pretty flat 12.5 miles (25 round trip)…

It’s suprising the difference the reduction in distance and climbing makes, I cycle in a bit more frequently now, but I’m even less fit than I was 24 months ago I reckon…

And I still get disbelief from some co-workers at my cycled commute distance dispite it having halved, I do wonder what they actually consider to be a reasonable distance to cycle to work…

Others have some fantastically embelished stories of their own past cycling glory, despite being Great, tubby, Oafs who clearly never did a days excercise in their lives…

tomhoward

Others have some fantastically embelished stories of their own past cycling glory, despite being Great, tubby, Oafs who clearly never did a days excercise in their lives…

Lke the portly bloke on the right? 😉

zippykona

Is anyone going to phone in?

rj2dj
    Free Member

You also win the prize for Least Used Spreadsheet of 2012.

I could try and claim that I use it for other things too.. but the other tabs haven’t been used much either. Definitely must try harder.. on the bike front that is. I can probably not worry so much about the spreadsheet.

miketually
    Free Member

I ride 2.5 to 3 miles each way, for the 200 days of the year that I have to be at work. Using a big heavy cargo bike makes it harder but funnerer.

ormondroyd
    Free Member

43 miles in, 4 miles back (train assisted) when I do go in to our London office, which I’m planning to do tomorrow

natrix
    Free Member

Only three miles each way, but it is off-road, hilly and I’m towing two children in a trailer 8)

zippykona

The radio 2 winner was 33 miles each way.
    One guy reckoned he averaged 20mph in London. Sounds optimistic.

mrmo
    Free Member

One guy reckoned he averaged 20mph in London. Sounds optimistic.

we all saw the documentary on the BBC about how cyclists behave in London, running red lights, cutting up cars, abusing law abiding car drivers, and having the cheek to film their holiganism. 20mph sounds perfectly plausible.

theflatboy
    Free Member

I do all that ^^^ and can’t get more than about 18mph. 🙁

winterfold
    Free Member

This time of year 16km to train, put bike on train, 12km in London, same on the way back. So that’s 56km/day in new money.

Four days a week. Come rain or shine (praise be for the Rapha city rain jacket, Exposure Diablo and Red Eye, mudguards and overshoes).

In the ‘Summer’ ie BST I go to a different station and its 20-22km with some ‘hills’.

That’s what the London Overground does to you 👿

It is knackering and can be grim I eat 3500 calories/day and still struggle to put weight on (I was pretty sick last year and need to put some weight on).

It is curious sign of the times and where I live that in all that inner city mileage the most dangerous thing I regularly encounter is a badly drive Ocado van out in the sticks.

Having ridden my bike to work at various distances over the last 15 years I reckon 9-12 miles each way is a nice distance.

(20mph avg in London – yeah right – maybe if your definition of average is something other than (total distance/total time)).

nealglover
    Free Member

I don’t remember anyone on there claiming 20mph average in Central London.

One guy said he “had done it in 1.5 hours” for 29 mile commute, mostly outside of central London. But he had only done it once to test the route and be did it the Sunday before Christmas.

labsey
    Free Member

4 miles each way on the most direct route. Haven’t we done this already?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 59 total)

The topic ‘jeremy vine radio 2. Who cycle commutes the furthest.’ is closed to new replies.