Viewing 40 posts - 17,641 through 17,680 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • DrJ

So it’s the left’s fault for calling out racists. I see. How mean of them – spoiling a harmless “dressing up as Hitler” game. Ouch.

A massive 36-tweet thread exposing the extraordinary scale of Tory racism and abuse is going viral for very obvious reasons

chestrockwell

Well said Northwind.

martinhutch

Carthago delenda est

Horrid flashback to ‘O’ level Latin. I hate you. 🙂

Great post, Northwind.

moose
    Free Member

Premier IconNorthwind

Subscriber

It’ll certainly do harm. And not just to Labour. Because as well as real concerns, every dog crying wolf and every hysterical headline reduces awareness and reaction to the real thing. Just as the last decade’s overt islamophobia and other minority bashing has given racists and xenophobes of all straws more confidence to stand and be seen.

Antisemitism’s on the rise here as it is elsewhere, as are many other isms, and while i can see why it’s tempting for people to use it as a crude weapon to attack their opponents, it’s shortsighted and stupid and self-harming. If current trends continue we could be looking at real trouble- and this won’t just have desensitised people to it, it’ll have alienated people who would have fought it. Because who do you look to, to oppose racism and religious hatred? The right? Aye, that’ll work. This is when you build alliances and understanding, not attack your neighbours.

The one thing I will never understand is why so many people who rightly oppose antisemitism are so comfortable with other forms of xenophobia and intolerance. It’s all literally the same thing. People transfer their hatred so easily, it’s not that important who you hate. Not allowed to hate blacks? Well islam isn’t a race so I’ll hate muslims. Not allowed to hate gays? Well I’ll hate trans people. Or gippos, or chavs, or jews, or lefties, or fatties, or <span class=”skimlinks-unlinked”>cyclists.Or</span> the rich, or the elites, it all adds up the same, just that some people have more defences than others.

Hate is literally all one big bucket of poison, unfussed about where it leaks, and wherever it spills it makes more. If you can keep it in the tank, it goes off- but it’s oh so useful to use a little poison to win an argument, or an election… Carthago delenda est! Take back control! But oh! Now there’s poison flooding around something I care about, how did that happen?

If you genuinely want to counter antisemitism, counter all racism, counter every damn ism you can. Or if you can’t do that, at least stop adding to the bucket. Sermon over and if you didn’t know it all already you’re an idiot, but it’s easy to know in the head, it’s not so easy to know in the heart

Quoted for awesome.

BillMC

It’s interesting to note the silence of those complaining of antisemitism when IDF snipers kill 16 and injure 740 in the Gaza strip. The Guardian refers to ‘clashes’ when no-one in the IDF copped an injury and the Beeb pulled Jeremy Bowen for daring to report accurately.

Survation found that in the last election only 13 per cent of the Jewish population voted Labour and only 14 per cent did so when Miliband stood. It strikes me of Tory and ethnocentric whataboutery because elections are coming up.

How about a protest against the rabbi referring to black people as ”’monkeys’? It ain’t going to happen.

dazh

What a surprise

TLDR: If you don’t agree with conservative right wing Jews then you’re automatically an anti-semite.

McCarthyism is alive and well in the UK.

martinhutch

Jeremy attends a Jewish passover celebration in his own constituency…but apparently it’s the wrong sort of passover celebration, and the Jewish people involved are the wrong type.

BURN HIM!

Northwind

I suspect that’s quite a sneaky and clever move from him- though I don’t know if it’ll work. Up til now there’s been the usual weird slightly creepy possibly slightly racist thing where all jews apparently speak with one voice and a few spokesmen and groups can speak for everyone. As if we’d accept that from the British Christians Organisation, or the United Singletrack Union.

Today the attacks on Corbyn continue in much the same vein, except that all of them are admitting that not all jews agree. The reason I say it might not actually work, is that it’s been tried before, and the usual suspects are very adept at marginalising The Wrong Sort Of Jews.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If you don’t agree with conservative right wing Jews then you’re automatically an anti-semite.

Especially if you suggest Israel  should not shoot thousands of unarmed protesters at its birder – where its border means the place they illegally put it after  stealing the land and maintaining it by force . Apparently if you hold them to the standards of all nations  – they have done far worse things than Iran , expansionist land grabs and illegal nukes being the most obvious- then the only reason is because you hate Jews

Its ok to criticise  china, North Korea, and Iran without being a racist but not Israel

Its also ok to do blatant dog whistle campaigns about Muslims as well –  you dont even need to do it as a dog whistle campaign as no one will call you a racist if you o this and its PC gone mad if you criticise those who do.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“If you don’t agree with conservative right wing Jews then you’re automatically an anti-semite.”

+1.

Sometimes it feels like it’s impossibke to even gently chide Israel..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Sometimes it feels like it’s impossibke to even gently chide Israel..

That is the aim, to make any criticism of Israel sound like it’s a criticism of Jewish people, it’s been used so many times to great effect due to the standing many prominent Israeli groups have. It is something the international community and governments need to stand firm on.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

It’s worth noting though that Momentum have come out & said a problem with anti-semitism does exist within Labour:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/02/labour-antisemitism-more-widespread-than-thought-momentum-says

DrJ

It’s interesting to note the silence of those complaining of antisemitism when IDF snipers kill 16 and injure 740 in the Gaza strip.

Not silent at all – in fact the Board of Deputies issued a tweet blaming Hamas.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“It is something the international community and governments need to stand firm on.”

+1.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

“Board of Deputies issued a tweet blaming Hamas”

A tweet?

Anything of substance??….

A tweet….big whoop..

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’m a little out of touch, is LBC the speaking bastard lovechild of the Metro and Mail?

Nice opinion pieces there TG though, lots of opinions in them, full of opinions 😉

dissonance

I’m a little out of touch, is LBC the speaking bastard lovechild of the Metro and Mail?

They have just given Rees-Mogg a phone in show. Other presenters include Farage.

Junkyard
    Free Member

thanks for the links turner cannot wait for tomorrows propaganda which i will ignore in much the same way you ignore replies

kerley
    Free Member

Yep, anyone that listens to LBC is in the same camp as a Daily Mail reader.

El-bent
    Free Member

Taking lessons from the tories over racism? Yeah right. Local elections are coming up, the tories aren’t taking the high ground here, just merely taking the political opportunity.

Probably the main goal however, is to distract everyone from the cambridge analytica/ aggregate IQ story, and what is becoming clear who currently in Government were involved.

Even nincompoops favourite blogger Guido has some very questionable links to Russia via guidos own lobbying company message space.

DrJ

A tweet….big whoop..

Welcome to 2018, grandad 🙂

Apparently tweets, fb postings etc are enough to convict someone of antisemitism. What’s sauce for the goose …

DrJ

nincompoops favourite blogger Guido

This was the one who invented the “Corbyn Stasi file” that was all over the media before it was proved to be an invention and quietly dropped, having done its job?

chakaping
    Free Member

Jeremy attends a Jewish passover celebration in his own constituency…but apparently it’s the wrong sort of passover celebration, and the Jewish people involved are the wrong type.

I had a thought earlier, is Jezza trolling the right-wing press now?

The outraged reaction to this latest “scandal” just looks ridiculous. “He met with a group who have threatened to satirise mainstream Jewish leaders.” The monster!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep it’s certainly as posted earlier back to the when did you stop beating your wife line of questioning. Playing the man…

As a chat with my folks on the subject revealed from what they read he will ruin the country, when pointed out the entire show was been run by the likes of JRM and BoJo with the SEL’s on the right of the tory party that was fine, it’s just what happens and May is doing the best she can. The mail and express have a lot to answer for.

johnx2
    Free Member

So PR incompetence isn’t part of the picture? His job’s to get elected. Alienating the mainstream is a pretty odd strategy.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Survation found that in the last election only 13 per cent of the Jewish population voted Labour and only 14 per cent did so when Miliband stood. It strikes me of Tory and ethnocentric whataboutery because elections are coming up.

so

His job’s to get elected. Alienating the mainstream is a pretty odd strategy.

You accept that you won’t get the other 86/87% and move on to people who might vote for you. It may be important to a couple of seats overall but it’s not going to be an issue overall

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Jews

With a total of 264,000 people that is a very small number of votes to be chasing.

mefty
    Free Member

It’s worth noting though that Momentum have come out & said a problem with anti-semitism does exist within Labour

Splitters, why dont they just join the Tories.

Northwind

Labour has about 300000 members. It’d be a miracle if they didn’t have antisemites in their ranks. I mean, we also know that the Tories have antisemites (and racists, and xenophobes, and homophobes) in their ranks, it’s just it doesn’t seem to be front page news for some reason.

But then, it depends who you ask doesn’t it, the president of the Board of Deputies says that Jewdas is “the source of violent antisemitism.”

johnx2
    Free Member

Tempting as it is to Godwin the thread right here I meant mainstream of society, also. Jewdas ffs. Corb’s office say “not in his official diary” like he needs minding so to not accidentally shout “property is theft” in the Waitrose queue? I’m talking basic political competence.

grum
    Free Member

So PR incompetence isn’t part of the picture? His job’s to get elected. Alienating the mainstream is a pretty odd strategy.

If you honestly think the way the press is hounding him right now is in any way reasonable, you’re part of the problem of why the political discourse in this country is completely toxic.

Again, we have a foreign minister who is openly racist, a government who tried to install a vile sexist pig who attends eugenics conferences to a university regulator position, a government in partnership (through bribes) with terrorist-supporting bible-thumping nut jobs, a government who’s MP ran an openly racist mayoral election campaign, but somehow Jeremy Corbyn not doing enough to tackle anti-Semitism and going to see the ‘wrong jews’ is the main story here. Really?

kimbers

As I said before it didn’t make a difference when they made up all the stuff about the IRA last time & it won’t on the coming local elections.

Junkyard
    Free Member

is Jezza trolling the right-wing press now?

I have no idea but we are in some sort of alternative reality where he attends an event with some jewish people and he still gets attacked for it as they were wrong sort of  Jews. This is  just too stupid to warrant discussion and what Grum said.

Northwind

I can’t really get over the bit where British jewry’s most senior spokesman accuses other jews of being violent antisemites purely because he knows it’s a convenient stick to beat people with, and it goes mostly unquestioned. How does he retain credibility, or even his position? Why will his next accusation of antisemitism still be taken seriously?  And how can the Board of Deputies keep claiming they represent all of british jewry while accusing parts of it they don’t like of being antisemites? It’s knocked my suspension of disbelief a bit.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I have no idea but we are in some sort of alternative reality where he attends an event with some jewish people and he still gets attacked for it as they were wrong sort of  Jews.

When the big transgender debate was happening in the US a number of right wing politicians were on about the danger of sexual assaults from transgender people in the other changing rooms/bathrooms. Unfortunately the stats showed you were more likely to be sexually assaulted by a republican politician than a transgender person. The right when scared go into full attack mode, they are whipping up all corners to get in there and divert attention from the complete shit show that is the government.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/36793900/boris-johnsons-most-controversial-foreign-insults

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/mar/28/boris-johnson-urged-to-apologise-for-attending-racist-campaign-launch

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-africa-36800243/boris-johnson-on-africa-in-quotes

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

As I said before it didn’t make a difference when they made up all the stuff about the IRA last time & it won’t on the coming local elections.

but not all of it was made up…

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nice opinion pieces there TG though, lots of opinions in them, full of opinions 😉

unfortunately most of them are backed up by actions that Corbyn took…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The hysterical bits were, there was a great leap between some factual events and intentions and outcomes. Perhaps progress could have been made much sooner if an approach of talking had been taken.There are a lot of bodies which are a result of fixed positions and an inability to politically move away from them.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

thanks for the links turner cannot wait for tomorrows propaganda which i will ignore in much the same way you ignore replies

it’s not propoganda when it is just pointing out acttons Corbyn made, can’t get past that.

I don’t come on the forum so often now as it is so sh1t slow and the useless bunch of 9 to 5ers that are responsible clearly don’t have the competance to do anything about it…

Viewing 40 posts - 17,641 through 17,680 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.