Viewing 40 posts - 17,241 through 17,280 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • tjagain

turnerguy – £80 000 pa is never a middish level salery no matter where you live. This shows the amount of your self delusion.

tjagain

Matt – only if you buy a house. Basic living costs are not buying a house. Its living in a room in a shared house if you are single or fair rental is you have a family. Not a huge range in difference of these across the country. ( although I accept a difference)

RustySpanner

TurnerGuy – Member
    The actual salary figure doesn’t matter – it is the amount of disposable income you have left after basic living costs that counts.

Which basic living costs are out of your control?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Not a huge range in difference of these across the country. ( although I accept a difference)

FFS – you just spout a load of drivel, don’t you?

Check this then :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23234033

chakaping
    Free Member

If you’re earning £80k in London then you’re not as talented as someone earning same in Bangor, so do you really deserve as much money?

tjagain

Fair rents Turnerguy. You know – social housing that many poorer folk rely on. Not hugely different across the UK and anyway living in an expensive area is not ” basic living costs”

Its awfully harsh but I’d love folk like you to lose your jobs for a year just to understand what being rich and poor actually means as you seem absolutely incapable of understanding what the reality for the majority in this country is.

Look at that income distribution graph.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

salary heatmap, some correlation with the housing costs, funny that :

https://www.ons.gov.uk/visualisations/nesscontent/dvc126/

RustySpanner

Pointless TJ, just pointless.

The Marie Antoinette comparison seems more apt the further we get into this.

kimbers

If you’re earnng 100k & living in Hounslow you’re a king

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Look at that income distribution graph.

Income distribution doesn’t matter if the rest of your costs are less and you end up with the same amount of disposable income and quality of life.

What’s so difficult to understand about that ?

RustySpanner

Which basic living costs are out of your control?

tjagain

You are right Rusty

Turnerguy – because the rest of your costs being high is your choice. Basic living costs are similar for everyone. a roof over their head and food and utilities.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member
    tjagain

Which has nothing to do with the fact that 80 or 100k puts you firmly amongst the richest in the country

ninfan
    Free Member

Basic living costs are similar for everyone. a roof over their head and food and utilities.

😯

You think housing costs are similar across the country?

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Do iPhones cost more in London? X

RustySpanner

I dunno.

But it would appear they have the facility to blank out questions that are a bit tough to answer.

tjagain

ninfan – Member

Basic living costs are similar for everyone. a roof over their head and food and utilities.

You think housing costs are similar across the country?

Yes – fair / social rents which is what poorer folk rely on especially in the expensive cities

seosamh77
    Free Member

yourguitarhero – Member
    Do iPhones cost more in London? X

yip, good point that. it’s not an entirely level playing field either way. Housing costs are higher in london, but in rural areas and the like, things like supermarket prices and petrol prices are actually more expensive.

tjagain

Average social rent in london £100 per week, rest of england 88.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Canny just factor in social rents though. I rent and I’ve never paid a social rent in my puff. Could maybe factor in if they where available to everyone, but they aren’t.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

But it would appear they have the facility to blank out questions that are a bit tough to answer.

don’t flatter yourself…

I’ve already quoted housing costs, commuting costs are also high to offset the fact I can’t afford to live in London itself.

Quality of life drops as well because of commute time.

Maybe I should apply for some of that social housing – that should help keep my costs down.

And maybe they should put a cap on wages down here so they are no higher than anywhere else in the country, and then increase taxes on everyone in the whole country massively to counter the drop in tax revenues that are being used to prop up government spending in the rest of the country – like on the ONS web page I posted earlier.

tjagain

Thats the basic living cost tho. Not a detached house and a BMW.

Families – basic living costs are the cheapest accommodation ie social rents. for singles – a room in a shared house.

tjagain

Turnerguy – maybe you should try living on average incomes? then you might understand the difference between rich and poor a little more – or even better benefit levels

Yo ucan quote all the obfuscation you like. Nothing alters the fact that on £100 000 pa you are in the richest few % of the UK

RustySpanner

I’ve already quoted housing costs, commuting costs are also high to offset the fact I can’t afford to live in London itself.
    Quality of life drops as well because of commute time.

All these things are within your control.

kerley
    Free Member

And maybe they should put a cap on wages down here so they are no higher than anywhere else in the country, and then increase taxes on everyone in the whole country massively to counter the drop in tax revenues that are being used to prop up government spending in the rest of the country

Or maybe not have a country where one city is completely out of whack with the rest of the whole country. If wages were more even, property would be more even and tax revenue would be the same overall.
    Population would be better spread, less concentrated pressure in certain areas etc,.

Sounds quite hard for you struggling to live on £100K in London. You could always move and help the balance of London vs non-London…

dragon
    Free Member

Or maybe not have a country where one city is completely out of whack with the rest of the whole country.

Yeah but how many countries are really like that though? Reality is that cities are where the money is especially if they have decision making government or financial sectors.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You could always move and help the balance of London vs non-London…

I go where the decent jobs are – where I live is a balance between a decent job and being able to get into the countryside.

I like how everyone assumes I earn 100k although I never said anything of the sort, and TJ implies I drive a BMW. Shame I really drive a 14 year old Alfa…

Yo ucan quote all the obfuscation you like. Nothing alters the fact that on £100 000 pa you are in the richest few % of the UK

It’s not obfuscation is it though – accounting for costs someone on 100k in London could be in exactly the same position in terms of wealth as someone on 60k in Bristol, or 40k in Liverpool.

Except that they pay more tax.

Perhaps all you lefty types should be moving to London and paying a bit more tax – i.e. pull your finger out and contribute a bit more to the running of the country.

tjagain

It’s not obfuscation is it though – accounting for costs someone on 100k in London could be in exactly the same position in terms of wealth as someone on 60k in Bristol, or 40k in Liverpool.

Nope – this is simple nonsense. the person in london is 40 or 60% richer.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nope – this is simple nonsense. the person in london is 40 or 60% richer.

jesus, I thought my maths ability was dodgy…

tjagain

You seem to think if you spend all your money on luxuries that makes you poor. It doesn’t. Its the total amount of money you have that shows whether you are rich or poor not how much you have left after your purchases

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

You seem to think if you spend all your money on luxuries that makes you poor. It doesn’t. Its the total amount of money you have that shows whether you are rich or poor not how much you have left after your purchases

I am talking about the amount of money you have left after paying tax, the increased housing costs required to live in an area that allows you to earn the higher salary, the possibly increased commuting costs, etc, not luxuries.

Lifer
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member

Perhaps all you lefty types should be moving to London and paying a bit more tax – i.e. pull your finger out and contribute a bit more to the running of the country

How much tax does one have to pay to have an opinion?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

How much tax does one have to pay to have an opinion?

At least be subject to the 45% band…

Lifer
    Free Member

Amazing.

5thElefant
    Free Member

That would have changed the brexit result. 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

😆

RustySpanner

TurnerGuy – Member

😯

I thought it was the lefties who were supposed to be chippy and bitter?

Please tell me you’re not serious.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Please tell me you’re not serious.

of course I am not serious.

RustySpanner

Thank God for that.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 17,241 through 17,280 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.