Viewing 40 posts - 15,881 through 15,920 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • BoardinBob

They take their business elsewhere and the state has less money to spend, not more.

Where are they going to take their business to?

For example, a quick summary of the corporation tax in the European countries of a similar social/ economic/ educational etc standard to the UK (so ignoring lower level Eastern Europe type countries)

Belgium 33.99%
    Denmark 22%
    France 33.3%
    Germany 23% to 33%
    Italy 28%
    Netherlands 25%
    Norway 24%
    Spain 28%
    Ireland 12.5% to 25%
    Sweden 22%

Then we have the UK at 19% which will drop to 17% in 2020

We could easily increase corporation tax by a couple of points and still be a more attractive country to do business in than almost all on that list

Companies arent about to up sticks and relocate everything to Hungary with its 9% corporation tax

Klunk
    Free Member

I thought in Brexit Britian it’s all about doing the “right thing” and sod the cost.

airtragic
    Free Member

Couple of percent yes (ignoring brexit). But I worry about the cumulative effect of general tax-side austerity. its a balancing act, if labour get in it’ll be interesting to see if a higher tax and spending model works for the UK. My guess is it won’t.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    greentricky
    Free Member

Had one leaflet through the door from an independent but I am in a seat where a pact has been done, so not all major parties standing and the I would of voted for the incumbent anyway (Caroline Lucas) but do find it a bit weak I haven’t had door knockers or leaflets from her, seems a bit complacent which I don’t like but think all the volunteers are probably busy trying to ensure the marginal Tory doesn’t get back in, in the adjacent constituency which is less than a mile down the road from me.

kerley
    Free Member

The typical scaremongering approach that all companies will leave UK (they won’t) and all tax payers will leave the UK (they won’t)

Some will yes but not enough to make any difference. People live in the UK because they like it and if they want public services to be improved they need to be paid for. I think a lot of people do actually realise this.

greentricky
    Free Member

All these people leaving will help get the net migration figures down anyway won’t they? bluekip supporters should be happy

mulv1976
    Free Member

I do find it rather amusing/frustrating that many of the people in favour of brexit are adamant businesses won’t leave the UK as our economy is too important to their profits.

Give them the argument of raising corporation tax and all of a sudden they’ll be leaving in droves…

gobuchul
    Free Member

this just showed up on my FB.

It’s from 2013 but really shows Boris up as what he really is.

Stuff like this be getting pushed to the front now.

https://www.theguardian.com-boris-johnson-accused-nasty-video

Junkyard
    Free Member

This stuff happened in your life so you do know about it

Nice rebuttal

I can only imagine what would have happened were this Dianne doing this or say flip flopping on the EU issue
    He is personal, morally and politically a rather dislikable individual with few if any principles.

Still he is funny on HIGNFY so all is forgiven eh

gobuchul
    Free Member

I can only imagine what would have happened were this Dianne doing this or say flip flopping on the EU issue

This is part of Labours problem though.

They know it’s not really a fair fight, Murdoch, Branson, Green etc all help to give them a kicking. However, why don’t they change their tactics? Stop sending Dianne over the top into the waiting guns of the media. Get her away from the front bench and any media. She is just not savvy enough.

Why aren’t they “going to the mattresses”? Start posting stuff on social media, show the U turns and the lying.

This is the worry. Are they really that naive?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

airtragic – Member

if labour get in it’ll be interesting to see if …..

“If” Labour get in? What would do you mean if Labour get in? I thought the pundits all agreed that a snowflake stood a better chance in hell than Labour had of winning a general election with Corbyn as leader?

Apparently the LibDems and UKIP, as well as the Tories, were going to rake in the Labour votes because of Corbyn.

You mean that Labour stands a chance? They were wrong about Corbyn? Does that mean that other things said about Corbyn might also be wrong?

Or should we carry on believing what we’re told?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

why don’t they change their tactics?

There is only a handful of Labour people prepared to go with the “working for peace” narrative so they can’t put more than two or three up for interview

gobuchul
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-40105324

So Corbyn calling May’s bluff. He will appear on the TV debate.

Some common sense at last.

DrJ

So Corbyn calling May’s bluff. He will appear on the TV debate.

Seems like a master stroke – he has been consistently more appealing than her on TV (not hard, I know), and now he gets to underline that, while avoiding having some duffer make a mess of the Labour part of the debate.

airtragic
    Free Member

Be very hard for the PM to not appear now….

airtragic
    Free Member

But then that would be another u-turn.

BoardinBob

Vote loser if she does at this stage. She’s simply terrible live without her braying mob behind her.

I especially love her “bulldog licking pish off a nettle” face that she pulls whenever anyone criticises her or asks a difficult question.

aracer
    Free Member

Good call by Corbyn – I think. The danger he faces is in looking incapable if he can’t defend his policies when they’re attacked by the leaders of the smaller parties. Whilst they’ll also attack the Tories policies (and I’m not expecting Ms Rudd to do any better job than the Maybot of defending them) May personally avoids any fallout from that.

I think on the whole it should be a win for him – but more importantly it’s a gamble he has to take. If he does badly and loses the election as a result, well he was always supposed to lose the election anyway. If it goes well for him then it could just be enough to tip things (at least far enough that the Tories don’t get a majority – that counts as a win I think).

binners

There’s no chance she’ll appear. She clearly despises the great unwashed and will do pretty much anything to avoid any direct contact with them. As Rod Liddle put it the other day.

“Theresa May has the warmth, wit and oratorical ability of a fridge-freezer.”

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Be very hard for the PM to not appear now…. [/Quote]

No they need to put up Priti Patel, she can ask why “only labour can unlock her talent”

aracer
    Free Member

Indeed – it’s now a lose, lose situation for her. Which makes me wonder whether this is a masterstroke from Corbyn, and in fact one he has planned for a long time – I can’t see anything he had to gain from announcing earlier that he was taking part.

BoardinBob

100%

Strong and stable, but not strong enough to appear on the debate!

greentricky
    Free Member

Yep great move by Corbyn, all I hear people saying in the office after seeing him on tv is he was much better than they expected and not like the media make him out to be

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The danger he faces is in looking incapable if he can’t defend his policies when they’re attacked by the leaders of the smaller parties.

The minor parties are getting squeezed, the “progressive alliance” bollox is reducing them to cheerleaders just as the greens are in Holyrood. They have to create some degree of separation or face irrelevance

DrJ

As Rod Liddle put it the other day.

“Theresa May has the warmth, wit and oratorical ability of a fridge-freezer.”

Rod Liddle is a prize clown, but on this occasion I agree with him.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

This appears to be a succinct summary of a key issue

From Corbyn to McDonnell to Ken Livingstone, they all justify it these days by saying it was OK because it led eventually to the peace process. But that’s disingenuous in the extreme. When they were out defending the IRA, its fellow travellers also didn’t know when, or if, that campaign would end. They still happily supported, or had an ambivalent attitude towards, Republican violence. They knew exactly what they were doing, and how their solidarity was used by the Republican movement to paint its murder campaign as part of some wider struggle for social justice.”

greentricky
    Free Member

Big n daft, do you hold May to the same level of scrutiny for supporting state sponsors of terrorism such as Saudi?

gobuchul
    Free Member

of a key issue

Serious question: Is it really key? Really? Why?

rone

We could easily increase corporation tax by a couple of points and still be a more attractive country to do business in than almost all on that list

Aye – as a small company I’m happy to take the 26% hit to make things better.

As Danny DeVito said recently – “Why don’t you guys want to pay your tax?”

fifeandy
    Free Member

it’s now a lose, lose situation for her.

It always has been.
    She has nothing personally to offer, she has a likeability rating of 0, a competency rating of 0, and no policies to ‘sell’ to the public – although to be fair, i’m not sure anyone would be able to make a good job of selling ‘our balance sheet is a mess, things are a bit crap, and their going to get crapper before they get better’

There’s simply no point going to a TV debate and trying to compete against 6 other parties screaming ‘spend, spend, spend’ as loud as they can. Spending is always appealing.

Her job was really always say nothing, do nothing and wait for JC to screw up. However that’s not really worked out on 2 fronts, as she decided to give pensioners a kicking, and JC has come up with a fairly radical/exciting manifesto to capture peoples imaginations.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

As Danny DeVito said recently – “Why don’t you guys want to pay your tax?

Douglas Carswell v Owen Jones

ransos
    Free Member

I think on the whole it should be a win for him – but more importantly it’s a gamble he has to take. If he does badly and loses the election as a result, well he was always supposed to lose the election anyway.

+1. It’s difficult to see what he has to lose by appearing, and if he gets into difficulty, pointing out that May couldn’t be bothered to turn up should work.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Big n daft, do you hold May to the same level of scrutiny for supporting state sponsors of terrorism such as Saudi?

It’s on the glum-bucket thread, don’t cross the streams

kimbers

suckerpunch from Corbyn
    (assuming he gets doesnt fluff his numbers again!)

Its pretty embarrassing that our PM is so poor at interacting/communicating/negotiating that she is too scared to do unscripted debates

that weird gollum-gulp thing she did on the last one was amusing

Ill bet the tories were wishing theyd picked anyone but her right now

binners

Ill bet the Tories were wishing they’d picked anyone but her right now

You saw the rest of the contenders, right?

I think what the powers that be obviously knew from the off was that every unscripted second of exposure was a disaster waiting to happen. What they didn’t reckon on was the opposite being true for Corbyn

cchris2lou

What are the odds on a new PM ?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

big_n_daft – Member

This appears to be a succinct summary of a key issue

I always get a warm glow of smug reassurance when right-wingers use the “friend of terrorists” card, it always proves that they are panicking.

It’s resurfaced again recently as the Tory campaign started to unravelled and go pear-shaped.

The beauty of it is that there is no evidence that it works, in fact there’s some evidence that it might be counter-productive. Still I guess that when you’re panicking anything is worth a try.

The friend of terrorists card was used extensively by right-wingers in the US against Barack Obama, Sarah Palin in particular made a great issue of Obama “palling around with terrorists. It didn’t stop Obama winning 2 US presidential elections.

More recently a few months ago here in the UK the Tories panicked in the London mayoral elections and accused Sadiq Khan of being a friend of terrorists, it didn’t stop Khan from easily winning the London mayoral election.

PM sparks row with attack on Labour mayor candidate’s links to ‘man who supports ISIS’

Klunk
    Free Member

more weak and wobbly, not prepared to defend her own policies and it’s hardly a stella line up shes up against. She really isn’t a people person is she.

greentricky
    Free Member

Yet somehow despite being abysmal at thinking on her feet or performing in challenging situations, she manages to sell to the masses that she is the safe pair of hands for doing negotiations and they buy it

rone

As Danny DeVito said recently – “Why don’t you guys want to pay your tax?
    https://order-order.com/2015/07/23/douglas-carswell-v-owen-jones

Seen it.

It’s got to be a consensus.

Viewing 40 posts - 15,881 through 15,920 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.