Viewing 40 posts - 15,721 through 15,760 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • kimbers

Just heard the aiduo

thats gonna hurt!

ironic when the Tory manifesto was completely uncosted, but he really should have been better prepared

zokes
    Free Member

I am really not sure what is wrong about checking the actual figures rather than just trying to memorise everything or, as per the maybot, repeating vacuous statements about “strong and reboot”.

Assuming we’re talking Women’s hour on R4 here, presumably some papers with the appropriate figures on them might have been a rather useful invisible crutch?

jonnyboi

oooh, That was an own goal there.

AlexSimon

“it’s obviously going to cost a lot”
    That was a silly mistake. General public don’t have any concept of what is a lot of money to a government. All they care is that you appear competent, considerate, that you have a plan and will follow it through.

dragon
    Free Member

Massive own goal by Corbyn then when women are more attracted to Labour and apparently Woman’s Hour ‘has bigger audience than election debate’.

Door re-opened for a big Tory win.

Christ it is like who can shoot themselves the most times before 8th June, last one standing wins!

outofbreath
    Free Member

Jez didn’t know his brief. On a major, expensive policy. When he/they must know that a grilling on numbers was imminent. He at least didn’t make stuff up and waffle, but he should have known his numbers.

There’s a difference between not knowing your brief and blanking during an interview. The woman in the post office asked me my postcode this morning and I blanked it for about 20 excruciating seconds. (I do know my post code!)

Also does he really need to know the numbers? The source of the cash is a fairy tale based on a misunderstanding of what borrowing means and a ludicrous idea that additional tax doesn’t change behaviour of the most nimble groups in our economy. Plus there isn’t parliamentary time to fulfil the manifesto pledges. So detailed knowledge of the numbers probably makes little difference.

Not gonna stop him winning though. This is Trump all over. Everyone agrees he cant win but there’s a massive core vote and the existing government aren’t all that popular.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

he really should have been better prepared

Yep. Pre-interview prep;

Jeremy, you’re going to be on Woman’s Hour. Discussing our childcare policy. This policy will cost £Xbn. Yep. Write it down. On your notepad. Yes, you must. She’ll ask you how much, you have to answer. Remember Diane the other day? If you dont know the cost of the policy you’re being interviewed about, we’ll look that ridiculous. Again. We can’t afford that.

Right. So, how much will it cost?……Excellent.

Now, on to our other core messages we need to get across to this audience…..

It’s hardly rocket surgery, is it?

greentricky
    Free Member

I wonder how much postal votes play in to it.is there any data for how early most postal votes are cast? Surely the earlier they were cast, the less benefical that would be to Labour?

binners

The Observer was reporting that the knives are already out for the Maybot at Tory Central Office, after what they have generally deemed to be a catastrophic campaign, which should already be in the bag

What terrifies me is that if they do get shut, post-election, which fruit-loop will end up at the helm negotiating Brexit. Thankfully the Tory party rarely chooses the obvious, so at least none of the present front row of clowns, but who…?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Yeh just read women’s hour was full Diane Abbott

You need to listen to the audio, you get the full heavy breathing thing as well, and the pauses….

gobuchul
    Free Member

That was cringe worthy.

What was he thinking? He knew what he was going to be talking about.

AlexSimon

What terrifies me is that if they do get shut, post-election, which fruit-loop will end up at the helm negotiating Brexit. Thankfully the Tory party rarely chooses the obvious, so at least none of the present front row of clowns, but who…?

Knowing the tories, they are already plotting, so watch for people trying to be statesmanlike over the next few days. Oh and Boris turning ‘Boris’ up to eleven.

greentricky
    Free Member

You need to listen to the audio, you get the full heavy breathing thing as well, and the pauses….

I’m sure Eddie Mair will play it for me on the way home tonight, it’s the pauses that are the worst, just excruciating voids of panic and your career crashing infront of you

big_n_daft
    Free Member

The Observer was reporting that the knives are already out for the Maybot at Tory Central Office, after what they have generally deemed to be a catastrophic campaign, which should already be in the bag

May’s problem is that she has few political allies and has a very small core team who clearly aren’t up to it. I imagine it’s Linton Crosby’s last campaign for them as well

What terrifies me is that if they do get shut, post-election, which fruit-loop will end up negotiating Brexit. Thankfully the Tory party rarely chooses the obvious, so at least none of the present front row clowns, but who…

I don’t see that unless she gets a really bad result ?20 majority.

Having said that spreadsheet Phil is nearly invisible, etc etc

jambalaya
    Free Member

Polls are commissioned to sell newspapers / generate clicks.

@kimbers you made my point for me, why should the US have the same criteria as India and China ? Obama knew it was a bad deal so he signed it at the last minute.

As for the EU list @oldnpastit you are confusing trade deals with arrangements on other issues like Irish border and even UK/EU citizens.

Northwind

That was a bad interview. Though in fairness, it was a bad interview where he fumbled a number and didn’t want to Abbott it, rather than a Fallon bad interview full of lies, or a May bad interview where she doesn’t think food bikes are for poor hungry people or says people with learning difficulties are mentally ill.

jambalaya
    Free Member

obviously I’ll get flamed but … Corbyn was undone not by Paxman but on Woman’s Hour 😀

binners

Jesus! That Corbyn interview is excruciating!

Normal service has apparently been resumed….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Oh and Boris turning ‘Boris’ up to eleven.

I think Boris knows he is better off with May in charge, he won’t win himself, and everyone else will not give him a job let alone the FS

big_n_daft
    Free Member

That was a bad interview. Though in fairness, it was a bad interview where he fumbled a number and didn’t want to Abbott it,

There was a lot more than the fumbled number in there

Junkyard
    Free Member

Polls are commissioned to sell newspapers / generate clicks.

😯
    That will be why all the political parties do them.
    Your explanations of things is fascinating
    Given a multi choice it would be hard to guess what what utterly implausible answer you had gone for.

wiggles
    Free Member

Just seen corbyn in a doing a live chat on mumsnet, when is the STW one scheduled for?

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Corbyn was undone not by Paxman but on Woman’s Hour

There is a good group of talented young political reporters out there, often tucked away in regional news, or other outlets

Makes you really wonder why they use Paxman at all

kimbers

emma barnett is a journalist for the Torygraph too

binners

Just seen corbyn in a doing a live chat on mumsnet

Centre Parks? 😀

gobuchul
    Free Member

emma barnett is a journalist for the Torygraph too

Which makes his preparations even worse.

Surely they must check out the background of anyone who is going to be interviewing him?

seosamh77
    Free Member

wiggles – Member
    when is the STW one scheduled for?

that would be awesome! 😆

seosamh77
    Free Member

there linkage to this womens hour thing?

edit: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08rp305

oldnpastit

jambalaya – Member

As for the EU list @oldnpastit you are confusing trade deals with arrangements on other issues like Irish border and even UK/EU citizens.

Nope, I don’t think I am. They’re all linked.

aracer
    Free Member

kerley
    Free Member

None of this sort of stuff matters, and quite rightly.

No MPs are perfect, they can all screw up in interviews etc,. but what they actually do over a 5 year term is the key thing.

The only thing people should be concerned about are the intentions of the parties and base their decision on that. So what if they don’t achieve all of the things in a manifesto, the key is what is the manifesto aiming for.

– Labour are trying to improve public services and are open about the fact it will cost. They are also open about where they plan to get the money to cover it.

– Conservatives are trying to do something too I would imagine but they don’t seem to be committing to anything other than an arbitrary net migration number.

Neither party will achieve all they say but you can clearly see what they are trying to do.

aracer
    Free Member

+1 – it’s hardly an essential skill for the day job. IMHO it should be compulsory for them to consult notes (rather than being told off for it), because that’s what I’d expect them to do when doing real work.

Next time I see a journo with a tape recorder I’m going to have a go at them for not being able to remember stuff.

AlexSimon

If only that were true. See Milliband and a bacon sarnie

ctk
    Free Member

WTF should MPs have to know every figure?

WTF wouldn’t you have it on a piece of paper? Esp post abbotgate.

Emma Barnett was hostile to say the least but I think Corbyn was expecting a chat about his allotment and how well he did last night.

slowoldman

@kimbers you made my point for me, why should the US have the same criteria as India and China ?

Why shouldn’t they? They are the second in the charts for greenhouse gases behind China and they have less than 5% World’s population. Arguably being further along the “developed nation” path they ought to have reduced their pollution levels by now due to their relatively advanced technology.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

WTF should MPs have to know every figure?

What about knowing the figure for the policy that you’re being interviewed about? The policy you’re launching. It’s not about knowing everything, but knowing the brief for the interview at hand. Hardly hostile interviewing, either. She asked, he didn’t have an answer. She pressed.

seosamh77
    Free Member

It’s that obnoxious badgering interview style again. No idea why politicians should have to ream off figures there and then and aren’t allowed to look them up.

Agree it doesn’t look good and he should have known better, given the journalistic norms, but it’s the usual unnecessarily belligerent Paxmanesque interviewing style.

Sensationalism over nothing. But hoo hum, that’s what passes for journalism these days.

(last yin obviously never passed the swear filter! 😆 edited to PG rating!)

gobuchul
    Free Member

seosamh77 » No idea why politicians should have to reem off figures there and then and aren’t allowed to look them up.

It’s not that they aren’t allowed to look them up, it’s just basic preparation that seems to be missing.

He was launching a new policy, he knew what he was going to be asked. When didn’t he have the figures immediately to hand? He doesn’t have to commit to memory. Although the actual basic breakdown wouldn’t be hard to commit to memory.

Total own goal and the Tories we get loads of mileage from it.

Unfortunately it does matter and quite wrongly.

dragon
    Free Member

Of course politicians should be able to consult notes, but there is no excuse for turning up to an interview to announce a policy and then not having a clue about how it will work or how much it will cost.

As far as I’m concerned this ins’t a party political point, as they’ve all fallen foul of it over the last couple of weeks. And it simply shows the lack of basic competency of many of our politicians. Kind of depressing really.

just5minutes
    Free Member

– Labour are trying to improve public services and are open about the fact it will cost. They are also open about where they plan to get the money to cover it.

That’s the most hilarious thing I’ve read on this whole thread.

Viewing 40 posts - 15,721 through 15,760 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.