Viewing 40 posts - 15,641 through 15,680 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • ctk
    Free Member

& the wealth of the top 0.5% has gone up by a similar rate ninfan? Or do I need to turn my phone on its side?

oldnpastit

Ninfan posts a graph showing inflation over 30 years – there were fewer people living in Europe on less that 2 dollars a day in 2011 than there was in 1981! Fantastic!!

Ninfan’s graph claims that it’s in 2005 adjusted dollars. So I think that means it’s *not* showing inflation.

There has without doubt been a huge growth in wealth in places like China and India.

fifeandy
    Free Member

@ernie, see the footnote on the graph, its already been scaled for inflation.

Edit: $day is not a particularly useful metric imo, even within Europe money stretches a vastly different amount in different places.

ninfan
    Free Member

Ninfan posts a graph showing inflation over 30 years.

Read the footnote…

ctk
    Free Member

And the richest peoples wealth?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

oldnpastit – Member

Ninfan’s graph claims that it’s in 2005 adjusted dollars. So I think that means it’s *not* showing inflation.

So it’s not people living on less than 2 dollars a day after all.

How do we know how many in the UK and the US are living on less than 2 dollars a day then?

According to Ninfan that is the measure to calculate whether Reagan/Thatcher trickle-down economics has worked or not.

Failing that how about how many food banks we had 30 years ago?

ninfan
    Free Member

$day is not a particularly useful metric imo, even within Europe money stretches a vastly different amount in different places.

That will be why the footnote notes its in purchasing power parity…

According to Ninfan that is the measure to calculate whether Reagan Thatcher trickle-down economics has worked or not.

Well, no the metric of whether wealth is tricking down is whether the poor are getting poorer, or the poor are getting richer… Categorically, and by all measures, world poverty is on the decrease – one of capitalisms greatest successes!

unfortunately, this doesn’t fit in with your dogmatic and deep-seated political rhetoric, however the evidence in incontrevertible wealth is ‘trickling’ in to the poorest regions in the world in raging torrents.

kimbers

Well it certainly is a trickle isn’t it !

fifeandy
    Free Member

@ninfan, my point was $2 purchasing power in rural spain is vastly different to london, and yet both are on the same line.
    Maybe an assumption on my part, but i doubt the purchasing power has been calculated down to a regional level.

Overall the main thing i see from the graph is we have it very cushy here compared to some parts of the world.

ninfan
    Free Member

Overall the main thing i see from the graph is we have it very cushy here compared to some parts of the world.

I think too many of us get tied up in the rhetoric and forget just how cushy we have it

sense of proportion:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPjzfGChGlE[/video]

wilburt
    Free Member

The torygraph seems to have gone into hyperbollox mode suggesting the BH is over and the Manchester moratorium is finished.

JC doesnt have a chance, we need a few more DM readers to pass on and a few more young folk to care.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

ninfan – Member

world poverty is on the decrease

So Thatcher cut taxes to the very wealthy, but increased the tax burden on everyone else (the highest tax burden ever in British history was under Thatcher) to help “world poverty”?

Well she never said that. She should have mentioned it in her manifesto, ie “we will cut taxes to the very wealthy to help end world poverty”.

Or did I miss that Tory election pledge?

ninfan
    Free Member

Are you still griping on about Thatcher? FFS, she’s been dead for nearly five years man! 😆

Now, we’ve seen Jezza put forward his best side tonight – but face it, heres someone you could really vote for:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRilf3i8MrQ[/video]

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I’m not sure how accurate opinion polls are these days but the last 18 national opinion polls, every single one, suggest that Labour will get a greater share of the vote than they did under both Gordon Brown and Ed Miliband.

What appears to be saving the Tory’s bacon is the collapse of the UKIP vote.

ninfan
    Free Member

And you’re still going on about Fatcha?

Its like you’ve got some sort of weird obsession mate – you’re starting to sound like Livingstone with his Hitler-tourettes

bodgy
    Free Member

The zealots, they’re flailing.
    48k of whinge

Thicky Leaver doesn’t know how to get the ‘%’ symbol to work, let alone what is best for the country.

frankconway

I cannot wait for this election campaign to end; then whichever bunch of incompetents form a government can focus their energies on salvaging whatever they can from the brexit shambles.

Time to get the Irish passport I’m entitled to by birth and buy a house in France.

seosamh77
    Free Member

oh look ninfan has managed to divert the laughter at may with a completely and utterly irrelevant graph! good work fella! 😆

aracer
    Free Member

I think that would involve not using the scale of world poverty as a reason to reduce US immigration 🙄

Or for that matter not using it to deflect the topic away from how shit the Maybot is when presented with an issue she wasn’t programmed to handle.

Northwind

frankconway – Member

I cannot wait for this election campaign to end; then whichever bunch of incompetents form a government can focus their energies on salvaging whatever they can from the brexit shambles.

You realise that May has no intention of salvaging anything from it? Given the chance she’s going to be bloody awkward, insist that no deal is better than a bad deal, and crash us out as hard and as ugly as she possibly can.

seosamh77
    Free Member

While pandering to trump like a poodle.

bodgy
    Free Member

@Northwind Spot on. The fact that she is throwing the election is part of a larger plan; Cameron was always anti EU and did a pathetic job of playing against his cohort Johnson. May’s job is to take the flak in her own name (there has been precious little mention of the ‘Conservative brand’ in this election), lose and thereby allow the Labour party to deal with the flying cacky.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

There’s definitely a sense of this is the general election hot potato that no party really wants to win, for fear of being tainted as the party in government who ballsed up the Brexit deal, affecting their party’s rating going forward.

ninfan
    Free Member

insist that no deal is better than a bad deal,

Eh? You really think that a bad deal is better than no deal? Even if it leaves us worse off?

You don’t have any BATNA at all?

jonnyboi

This no deal/bad deal thing is bollocks.

A) What are the economic and social consequences of leaving the EU without an agreement in place?

B) What are the economic and social consequences of the ‘bad’ deal?

Which is worse A or B

Note: option A is still a ‘deal’

jonnyboi

What odds on a labour/SNP government?

DrJ

Eh? You really think that a bad deal is better than no deal? Even if it leaves us worse off?

No, but that is not a plausible scenario.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jonnyboi – zero

“No Deal” = WTO = same trade basis with the EU as US, China, Japan (?), Australia etc

In my very humble opinion all these press headlines about a “Corbyn surge” in the polls are just that, clickbait headlines.

We have done the trickle down / inequality thing many times.

jonnyboi

In my very humble opinion all these press headlines about a “Corbyn surge” in the polls are just that, clickbait headlines.

Regardless of your opinion, the polls themselves are showing a consistent narrowing of the gap between labour and the conservatives. Even the conservatives themselves are revising their internal predictions

colournoise

BBC breakfast news reporting that neither leader came off looking better or worse than the other in last night’s Q&A / interview…

colournoise

jonnyboi – Member
    Regardless of your opinion, the polls themselves are showing a consistent narrowing of the gap between labour and the conservatives. Even the conservatives themselves are revising their internal predictions

Noticed that for the first time, the latest Tory PEB mentioned / warned of a possible hung parliament and Labour / SNP alliance.

mrmo
    Free Member

@jonnyboi,

The best deal for trade with the EU is as is, minimal barriers and involvement in writing the standards.

Anything else means less influence and more red tape.

As a huge proportion of our trade is with our geographic neighbours, it is going to be impossible to replace. Appealing to some mythical past isn’t going to help. The UK was rich because it took raw materials from the empire processed them and sold them back to a captive market.

The UK is no powerhouse, it isn’t the basket case it was in the ’70s, but then that isn’t difficult.

Sandwich

Yeah, Martin McGuinness would not have been NI education secretary if it’s wasn’t for the violence.

I’m late but the last part of that sentence should read,
    if it wasn’t for education in prison.

MI5 were making serious inroads in the hierarchy in the late 80’s and 90’s. McGuiness saw which way the wind was blowing and changed tack. His de facto cease fire in Derry City from 1991 was proof of this.

I’m late catching up on the last week or so of the thread but my staunchly Unionist mother-in-law had some good words to say about the man much to my surprise a month ago.
    /hijack

ninfan
    Free Member

2015:

mrmo
    Free Member

2015:

So Labour majority then????

big_n_daft
    Free Member

if it wasn’t for education in prison.

A subtle but very important point,

Might even have relevance for the current UK threat

oldnpastit

“No deal is better than a bad deal” – is this yet more nonsense peddled by Theresa May and her gang of incompetents? Like “Strong and Stable” ?

DrJ

BBC breakfast news reporting that neither leader came off looking better or worse than the other in last night’s Q&A / interview…

From which you conclude? Something about the interview? Or something about the BBC?

just5minutes
    Free Member

This no deal/bad deal thing is bollocks.

A) What are the economic and social consequences of leaving the EU without an agreement in place?

B) What are the economic and social consequences of the ‘bad’ deal?

Which is worse A or B

Note: option A is still a ‘deal’

Over what timescale? Surely we need to look medium to long term to really see whether Brexit has been successful?

On the current analysis, moving to WTO tariffs will add around £5-10Bn to costs for exporters. Sticking 2 fingers up to the EU in the “divorce” negotiations would save us time and £60-100Bn – enough to provide a complete offset on WTO tariffs for exporters for the first decade.

colournoise

oldnpastit – Member
    “No deal is better than a bad deal” – is this yet more nonsense peddled by Theresa May and her gang of incompetents? Like “Strong and Stable” ?

Increasingly sounds like expectation management to me. Regardless of how bad the deal is ‘Look we got a deal. We said no deal better than a bad one, so this MUST be a good deal.”

And once again the supporters will lap it up…

Viewing 40 posts - 15,641 through 15,680 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.