Viewing 40 posts - 15,081 through 15,120 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • jam-bo

“Vote Labour, we’re the major cause of the Manchester atrocity, but the other parties didn’t help much either. …and by the way we think terrorism is really effective.”

seem to be conveniently forgetting…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/13/david-camerons-ill-conceived-libya-war-led-to-rise-of-islamic-st/

outofbreath
    Free Member

Well military action between 2015 & 2016 reduced the ISIL controlled area by 14% and took 4 million people out of their control. Obviously that isn’t the sole solution, but to say it doesn’t work is disingenuous.

ISIL are the one part of militant Islam that *can* be defeated militarily. They are all about holding physical territory. When they lose that territory their point is gone.

Anyone who doubt this should read that Atlantic article which really spells it out.

outofbreath
    Free Member

seem to be conveniently forgetting…

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/13/david-camerons-ill-conceived-libya-war-led-to-rise-of-islamic-st/

Nope, I covered that **** up with “but the other parties didn’t help much either”. ….and mentioned Libya directly earlier in the thread.

molgrips
    Free Member

Ok, so what did he say the solution and path forwards was?

Oh, sorry, he didn’t, did he?

No, it wasn’t a speech of solutions. I think he’s saying it’s not easy, rather than saying ‘we can fix this in 30 days it’s gonna be yuge’ like Trump did.

Set’s the tone though don’t you think?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Set’s the tone though don’t you think?

Patronizing voters by stating the bleeding obvious? I hope it doesn’t set the tone.

Mind you, if I’m going to have my intelligence insulted I think I prefer a long speech to repetition of “strong and stable”.

RustySpanner

outofbreath – Member
    Patronizing voters by stating the bleeding obvious?

By telling the truth, instead of lying?
    How dare he, the weirdo.

outofbreath
    Free Member

By telling the truth, instead of lying?

The whole Labour manifesto is one long lie. They don’t have the parliamentary time or the budget to do it.

AlexSimon

It’s not a lie, or the truth; it’s a manifesto.
    “a public declaration of intentions, opinions, objectives, or motives”

One I believe they are being honest about.

ransos
    Free Member

Whereas the Tories do a U-turn the minute things get a bit sticky.

outofbreath
    Free Member

It’s not a lie, or the truth; it’s a manifesto.

Wikipedia agrees with you, but I think most people consider the contents of a mnaifesto to be commitments to do (or not to do) the stated things.

…bit of a waste of time producing them if not.

molgrips
    Free Member

Patronizing voters by stating the bleeding obvious?

🙄

Setting the tone by advocating diplomacy and development rather than violence. Didn’t think it needed spelling out.

outofbreath
    Free Member

advocating diplomacy and development rather than violence.

“It’s about time we started honouring those people involved in the armed struggle. It was the bombs and bullets and sacrifice made by the likes of Bobby Sands that brought Britain to the negotiating table. The peace we have now is due to the action of the IRA.”

every defeat of the British state is a victory for all of us.

AlexSimon

…bit of a waste of time producing them if not.

Have you ever been involved in creating one?
    It’s a fascinating process to go through. It takes a great deal of focus and collaboration to achieve and once you’ve got one, it can inform every decision you make.

Of course, once you’ve put forward a manifesto that gets voted into government you are committed to trying to achieve it and implement as much of it as possible, but as you say – parliament have their say too.

I’m sure they’ll receive a lot of criticism for not instantly being able to buy back railways/water/grid and for not instantly being able to flood the streets with police and fix all the NHS problems, but hopefully they can continue to be honest along the way. Confident that honesty will still bring people with them, which will mean we don’t get more of the vacuous waffle we’ve had for far too long in the Labour party.

Peak waffle was during the leadership election that Corbyn won. So centrist that you couldn’t really say anything at all for fear of stepping either side of the line.

Northwind

just5minutes – Member

If Corbyn’s diagnosis of the root cause of Islamist terror in the UK is foreign policy he’s completely wrong.

It isn’t, nor has he said anything that you could reasonably misinterpret or misrepresent as saying so. Phew!

outofbreath – Member

That’s a big topic but telling the terrorists that terrorism is a really effective way to “bring Britain to the negotiating table” isn’t the best of starts.

It’s demonstrably true. It is what happened before, whe the IRA “bombed their way to the negotiating table. Bashing Corbyn for supposedly saying it is bizarre when the Conservatives actually did it and it worked.

Though, probably worth adding that Corbyn hasn’t actually said this either. But that’s probably not important, you keep being angry about what you imagine Corbyn said.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Corbyn hasn’t actually said this either

Remind me, who *did* say it?

molgrips
    Free Member

Outofbreath – what are you trying to say?

That Corbyn, Abbott and McDonnell support terrorists? They don’t. You realise you’ve really misused those quotes, right?

RustySpanner

outofbreath – Member
    The whole Labour manifesto is one long lie.

If you actually want a debate this time, tell us what you believe instead of just chipping in with sarky comments.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If Corbyn’s diagnosis of the root cause of Islamist terror in the UK is foreign policy he’s completely wrong.

how do you explain the absence of islamic terrorist attacks here before our foreign policy ideal led to us bombing then in their lands?

ISIL themselves have stated that their attacks on European countries are nothing to do with foreign policy and solely motivated by a desire to:
    1. attack the kuffir
    2. kill non believers
    3. establish a worldwide caliphate.
    4. see an end to secularism, liberalism and democracy.

SOURCE and when exactly did we start believing what they said?

summer of 2014. In June, ISIL had rapidly conquered large parts of western Iraq and proclaimed a caliphate. When ISIL advanced into Kurdish territory in the course of continued fighting and, accompanied by massacres and enslavement of the local population, forced hundreds of thousands of Christians and Yazidis to flee, the United States intervened and started bombing ISIL positions on 8 August 2014. With support from several other countries, these attacks were also extended to Syria in September. Since then, an international military coalition led by the United States has played a key role in supporting regional forces in the fight against ISIL. ISIL wasted no time in responding. Beginning on 12 August 2014, Western hostages that had been held by ISIL for some time were beheaded on camera to achieve maximum media attention. In September 2014, Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, the militant group’s spokesman, demanded that crusaders be killed wherever they are encountered, if necessary by running them over with a car or smashing their head with a rock. In January 2015 – ten months before the Paris attacks – an ISIL cell apparently on the verge of committing a terrorist attack was raided in the Belgian town of Verviers. This was followed by attacks against Western tourists in Tunisia in March and June of 2015. In August, a group of passengers managed to prevent a massacre on a Thalys train. More successful were the attacks in the Turkish cities of Suruç and Ankara, on a Russian airliner over the Sinai Peninsula, as well as in Paris and San Bernardino. This is but an incomplete list of successful and thwarted ISIL attacks. As outlined above, similar attacks followed in 2016. The connection between the various events was not properly understood at least until the Paris attacks. In hindsight, however, the timeline of events is very clear. As the United States started its attacks against ISIL, the hostage executions designed for maximum propaganda effects followed almost immediately. Shortly afterwards, Abu Muhammad al-Adnani made his call to arms, which initially seemed more helpless than threatening in its blind fury and recommended choice of methods. In September, perpetrators inspired by ISIL already began to carry out attacks, including in Canada and Australia. Starting in early 2015, however, after the war against ISIL has been expanded, attacks were carried out or at least attempted in quick succession. This sequence of events alone strongly suggests that, firstly, ISIL started its campaign against the West in the second half of 2014 in response to the international military coalition beginning its fight against ISIL

Anyone who thinks there is no connection between our foreign policy and their actions is deluded.

ninfan
    Free Member

You realise you’ve really misused those quotes, right?

Lets let people make their own minds up:

And hey, while we’re at it, lets not forget which party it was who put British troops on the streets of Northern Ireland in the first place!

“I can get the Army in all right but it will be the devil of a job to get it out again”

Indeed…

outofbreath
    Free Member

You realise you’ve really misused those quotes, right?

The McDonnell quote is not being ‘misused’. I’ve read it in context, I’ve read everything he’s said about it at the time and subsiquently. It’s exactly what he said, and it’s exactly what he meant.

The Abbot one I’m not so sure about, I googled a while back and can find very little about it. Perhaps you can help – in what way is it being “misused”?

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Seems the Daily Mail comments section agreed with Corbyn.

I never thought Id say this, but I’m starting to think that Corbyn is playing a political blinder – the conservatives seem to be misreading the publics mood at every possible turn.

ninfan
    Free Member

but I’m starting to think that Corbyn is playing a political blinder

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROKXlvYMKQc[/video]

outofbreath
    Free Member

I never thought Id say this, but I’m starting to think that Corbyn is playing a political blinder – the conservatives seem to be misreading the publics mood at every possible turn.

I think Corbyn is an utter disaster for the Labour party and for British democracy, but:

1) Core voters are incredibly resiliant. Trump demonstrates that even the worst candidates still get the core vote of their party and Labour have a lot of core voters.

2) Historically governments lose elections, oppositions don’t win them. I think most people think the Corbyn factor changes that truism – perhaps it won’t, or perhaps not by much.

3) The pollsters have added a fiddle factor towards the blue party. Who knows if that’s right in the current situation.

So I think it’s gonna be very close. (Bear in mind my political predictions are always wrong.)

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Let’s try not let this thread devolve to the level of the EU thread though lads, I got banned for a few days due to a comment in the Manchester thread which was fair enough – let’s try and have a more thoughtful open minded discussion without insults being thrown down along party political lines.

I have my reservations about Corbyn as well – but I won’t go into them whilst Im posting from my phone.

jam-bo

I don’t think corbyn has what it takes to win this election, but I do think Theresa May has what it takes to lose it.

outofbreath
    Free Member

I don’t think corbyn has what it takes to win this election, but I do think Theresa May has what it takes to lose it.

Pretty good way to put it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Yeah, I’m getting Hillary Clinton flashbacks whenever I hear or see May…..

Im not so sure labour would be polling so well with a Blairite though – Corbyn seems to be making people interested in politics again. I consider myself a hardcore Blairite as well…..

jam-bo

so you think in 20yrs time we’ll be quoting video of theresa may chanting strong and stable?

deviant
    Free Member

Which plank said the IRA bombed their way to the negotiating table?!

Off on a tangent but the security services had infiltrated every level of the IRA at that point, meaning that the vile Adams, Mcguinness etc had no choice but to start talking.

1 in 4 IRA members was a British agent at the time rising to 1 in 2 at a senior level….it was impossible for them to carry on….this is an approach I’d happily see in the fight against Islamist terror in the UK.

Source: belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/half-of-all-top-ira-men-worked-for-security-services-28694353.html

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Anyone who thinks there is no connection between our foreign policy and their actions is deluded.

What foreign policy wouldn’t have a connection to their actions?

ransos
    Free Member

Off on a tangent but the security services had infiltrated every level of the IRA at that point, meaning that the vile Adams, Mcguinness etc had no choice but to start talking.

Talks first started in the late 1980s. If they had “no choice” how was it that the IRA managed to stage a successful bombing campaign nearly a decade later?

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve read everything he’s said about it at the time and subsiquently. It’s exactly what he said, and it’s exactly what he meant.

Did you read the bit where he apologised for saying that, and explained that he was just trying to placate them so they’d join in the talks?

It almost sounds as if you’re trying to make out that Corbyn, a lifelong pacifist, is actually a terrorist. Sounds a bit bonkers to me…?

Junkyard
    Free Member

the security services had infiltrated every level of the IRA at that point, meaning that the vile Adams, Mcguinness etc had no choice but to start talking.

first part is true the second is not
    What happened was the British army admitted/realised that they could not defeat the IRA and the IRA – Mc Guiness in particular- began to see that they also could not beat the British army and that talks and peace and politics was the only solution.

Look we have peace lets not argue over who “won” [ nor re write history] its pointless we all lost till we had peace.

Northwind

deviant – Member

Which plank said the IRA bombed their way to the negotiating table?!

Bruce Morrison, US Congressman, Andy Oppenheimer. But also, it’s clearly true.

deviant – Member

OK, let me remind you what happened in 1996 as I think you’ve forgotten. The IRA ceasfire started in 94, after the UK government promised to allow Sinn Fein a place in negotiations in the Downing Street Declaration.

In 1996, Major lost his majority and became dependent on the Ulster Unionists to hold onto power, and purely coincidentally decided to renege on that promise and impose extra conditions.

This led to the end of the ceasfire and the Docklands bombing- as a result of which which Major withdrew the extra demands and Sinn Fein were allowed back into negotiations.

None of this is controversial or disputed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone think it was unreasonable to negotiate with Sinn Fein?

allthepies
    Free Member

Jezza getting Brillo’d @ 19:00 tonight.

keithr
    Free Member

Nope…

keithr
    Free Member

I get your point, but I’m picking up a definite change of mood out there – Corbyn’s stuff is starting to land with people, I think.

keithr
    Free Member

…solely motivated by a desire to:
    1. attack the kuffir
    2. kill non believers
    3. establish a worldwide caliphate.
    4. see an end to secularism, liberalism and democracy.

Daesh did say these things – it doesn’t mean (and they didn’t say) that the west’s foreign policies in the Middle East didn’t light the fire.

There’s no “solely” here.

Here’s an article which is hard to argue against on any intellectual or logical level:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/may/26/jeremy-corbyn-manchester-british-foreign-policy

It’s as much “fact” as any piece declaring the opposite view, so when everything else for and against cancels itself out, all we have left is:

[list]- we went into the Middle East expressly to stop Islamic fundamentalism from reaching our shores;[/list][list]- we got more of exactly that, and the trend continues.[/list]

Occam’s Razor, folks…

rone

No. It’s got us to where we are today.

Viewing 40 posts - 15,081 through 15,120 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.