Viewing 40 posts - 14,921 through 14,960 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • BruceWee

Having the party behind him might not have improved his popularity at all. I think having a bunch of neo-liberal blairites trying to bury you is actually good for a politician these days.

ulysse
    Free Member
    piemonster

I’m not sure what I’ve done to deserve it. But I’ve had repeated Facebook adverts linking Corbyn with holocaust deniers and IRA sympathising so I guess some cages have been rattled.

ulysse
    Free Member

Also this.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/lords-stunned-by-tory-peers-ira-funding-claim-2126723.html

Tories.
    Lying duplicitous untrustworthy hypocritical murdering scum.

jambalaya
    Free Member

John McDonnell excelled himself on Marr.

“We will not borrow to renationalise the Water Utilities”

“We will issue bonds” 😯 😯 😯

As was pointed out to him thats hiw Governments borrow money and if they cut bills as they say they would they’d be no prodits to repay the debt either.

@piemonster Corbyn was recalled to the Commons select committee for lying about his meetings with the holocaust denier. His stance on the IRA has always been ckear as was his refusal to condem them at the weekend.

Inheritance Tax is a good thing say lefty STWers, we must stop the middle classes / wealthy giving their kids an unfair advantage. Using inheritance to pay fir social care – oh no that’s a dementia tax

100 to 150 seat Tory win

keithr
    Free Member

His stance on the IRA has always been clear as was his refusal to condem them at the weekend.

Yes, it has always been clear: terrorism is reprehensible and to be condemned.

What – exactly – is wrong with that? To single out the IRA would be to downplay and tacitly approve of (for example) the UDA’s terrorism (or were they OK because they were Loyalists and killed republicans?)

So we can at least conclude that Corbyn is not enough of a lowest-common-denominator, nationalistic, sound-bite spewing rabble-rouser for you.

To which I say “thank **** for that”.

kerley
    Free Member

Inheritance Tax is a good thing say lefty STWers, we must stop the middle classes / wealthy giving their kids an unfair advantage. Using inheritance to pay fir social care – oh no that’s a dementia tax

Maybe the lefty STWers can see there is a difference. Guessing you can’t?

kimbers

it was the FT, those well known lefties that ran the Dementia Tax headline this weekend

Weak and Wobbly May is struggling to dig herself out of this hole of her own making

ice-cold-corbyn is just addressing ever bigger crowds….

jam-bo

maybe. but it’s may’s election to lose.

and you can’t deny she’s having a damn good go at it.

kilo

jambalaya – Member

His stance on the IRA has always been clear as was his refusal to condem them at the weekend.

According to transcripts of the interview he said: “I condemn all the bombing by both the loyalists and the IRA.” Another jambafact then

molgrips
    Free Member

His stance on the IRA has always been ckear

Go on then – what is Corbyn’s stance on the IRA? Specifically.

AlexSimon

and you can’t deny she’s having a damn good go at it.

It’s almost unbelievable isn’t it.
    She wants a stronger hand for Brexit, yet has the strongest hand at an election for 10 years and has forgotten how to play!
    All she had to do was say nothing, talk to nobody and create a vague manifesto. Yet she keeps getting pulled into doing the opposite.

I have to say it was nice to see her getting a taste of Corbyn’s medicine (for at least a little while) at her latest press conference:

jam-bo

he won’t answer and you know it…

keithr
    Free Member

Go on then – what is Corbyn’s stance on the IRA? Specifically.

“Whatever the Daily Mail told me it was…”

jekkyl

when I speak to friends about Corbyn they usually mention Diane Abbott, no-one seems to be keen to let her into power. Loving all the Corbyn stuff all over FB though, him greeting mobs of happy people, it’s great. Didn’t May tweet at the weekend saying if she loses just 6 seats she’ll lose her majority (if labour and snp team up?!) – maybe I heard it on STW, can’t remember but I’m loving that, just 6 seats, come on! Corbyn needs to get up to Scotland and stay there for a while, convincing labour voters back.

tjagain

kerley – Member

Maybe the lefty STWers can see there is a difference. Guessing you can’t? [/quote]

this lefty certainly can. Mind you I would have 100% inheritance tax over a relativity modest amount. I am disgusted that the tories actions mean that if my parents don’t end up using their capital to pay for care I will be in line for hundreds of thousands of unearned income ( they didn’t earn it either – its all house price inflation.)

allthepies
    Free Member

I am disgusted that the tories actions mean that if my parents don’t end up using their capital to pay for care I will be in line for hundreds of thousands of unearned income

Just how disgusted ? You can donate it to charity quite easily.

Northwind

jekkyl – Member

Corbyn needs to get up to Scotland and stay there for a while, convincing labour voters back.

Realistically, no, he needs to concentrate on the fight against other parties. Scotland’s a low return on investment- the odds of winning significant seats back are low and the benefit is half as much as winning or defending a seat from the tories. And tehre’s a very real risk that they split the left vote and cause seats to flip from SNP to Tory.

dazh

All she had to do was say nothing, talk to nobody and create a vague manifesto.

On the contrary, I think this is the problem. They’ve tried that and it hasn’t worked due in no small part to labour running a pretty slick and organised campaign. Thanks to the shocking complacency on the dementia tax policy, and the frankly amateurish u-turn, now the tories have to try and get May doing what she hates, which is answering questions, presenting her vision and getting out and talking to people. They’ve got quite a job on their hands.

tjagain

allthepies – Member

I am disgusted that the tories actions mean that if my parents don’t end up using their capital to pay for care I will be in line for hundreds of thousands of unearned income

Just how disgusted ? You can donate it to charity quite easily. [/quote]

Indeed. I have it planned what I will do with it in terms of good works. It won’t all be spent on me. Unless they pop of very soon I will be retired with no mortgage. I don’t need it. It will be spent some of it supporting things they believed in and the rest will go into the same trust for good works that I intend to set up with my will ie I will be able to set that trust up before I am dead

tjagain

Northwind – Member

jekkyl – Member

Corbyn needs to get up to Scotland and stay there for a while, convincing labour voters back.

Realistically, no, he needs to concentrate on the fight against other parties. Scotland’s a low return on investment- the odds of winning significant seats back are low and the benefit is half as much as winning or defending a seat from the tories. And tehre’s a very real risk that they split the left vote and cause seats to flip from SNP to Tory. [/quote]

also there is very little between the labour party and the SNP on policy. The SNP will support a labour government

kimbers

yup another jambafact put to bed

Dementia Tax was coined by … The Spectator

mattyfez
    jambalaya
    Free Member

Kimbers, John McDonnell was claiming “Dementia Tax” for Labour on Marr.

As I have posted before in very left leaning France not only do they means test the person concerned but the kids too. The cost of health care provision is rising very fast, much faster than any currently political party is planning for, Tories included.

@TJ you can set IHT threshold very low and it will still be easy to avoid. I practice it is only paid by those who are too dis-organised to plan for it or who die unexpectedly early.

tjagain

Jamba – you can make it impossible to avoid if you want – and for most folk its their house so not something you can hide overseas

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Mind you I would have 100% inheritance tax over a relativity modest amount

Go and suggest that to a farmer

dazh

his stance on the IRA

Really Jamba after the cluster**** of the last few days you’re really going to have to do better than that. The trouble is that might have been shocking to people a couple years ago, but the tories shot their load on that too early and people have had plenty of time either to get used to it or realise it’s a load of exaggerated bollox. The simple fact is that this tory campaign has been a shocking demonstration of hubris, arrogance and incompetence and everyone can see it. Keep on With the IRA nonsense though, you’re only fanning the flames.

keithr
    Free Member

And it’s such a transparent, tawdry, contemptible, dishonest trick he pulls, too – keep repeating the same lie, throwing the same mud, in the hope that some of it will eventually stick.

Might fly with Daily Mail readers (who are doubtless still looking forward to the £350m a week that we’ll be able to spend on the NHS once we’ve closed the door on those bloody immigrants that Labour let in*), but it’s gratifying to see that it’s not a tactic with much traction here.

* A perfect example of “tell the same lie often enough and stupid people will believe it…”

allthepies
    Free Member

No doubt Brillo will ask the same questions come Friday night, wonder what Jezza will have to say then.

jam-bo

*and never respond to clear evidence countering your point.

Unfortunately it worked for the leave camp, it worked for trump and it’ll probably work for may.

Nipper99
    Free Member

Where’s AB when you need him. With apologies to

“the bovine and phlegmatic Anglo-Saxons.”

from the Guardian July 1948 – organised spivvery has always been the best description of the Tories.

“The eyes of the world are turning to Great Britain. We now have the moral leadership of the world, and before many years are over we shall have people coming here as to a modern Mecca, learning from us in the twentieth century as they learned from us in the seventeenth,” said Mr Aneurin Bevan, Minister of Health, at a Labour rally in Manchester yesterday.

The meeting was called to celebrate the anniversary of Labour’s accession to power. The Labour party, he said, would win the 1950 election because successful Toryism and an intelligent electorate were a contradiction in terms. His own experiences ensured that no amount of cajolery could eradicate from his heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. “So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin,” he went on. “They condemned millions of people to semi-starvation. I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying, do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. They have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse.”

The Government decided the issues in accordance with the best principles, he said: “The weak first; and the strong next.” Mr. Churchill preferred a free-for-all, but what was Toryism except organised Spivvery?

As a result of controls, the well-to-do had not been able to build houses, but ordinary men and women were moving into their own homes. Progress could not be made without pain. People who campaigned against controls were conducting an immoral campaign. There was a kind of schizophrenia in the country, so that people reading newspapers and hearing talk in luxury hotels got an entirely different conception of what was happening, which did not square with the statistics. The bodies and spirits of the people were being built up – but the Government’s efforts could not be sustained except by the energies and labour of the people. Production must be raised to make the new legislative reforms a living reality.

The Government never promised in 1945 that everybody was going to be better off. It knew some were worse off to-day, but it always intended they should be.

[Bevan’s “vermin” remark – one of the most famous jibes in politics – was adroitly turned against the Attlee government by Tory speakers, who pretended it insulted their voters rather than policy makers. However, Bevan merely retorted that men of Celtic fire were needed to bring about great reforms like the new NHS. That was why, he explained, Welshmen were put in charge instead of “the bovine and phlegmatic Anglo-Saxons.”]

keithr
    Free Member

And isn’t it depressing how little has changed since then?

kilo

jambalaya – Member
    Kimbers, John McDonnell was claiming “Dementia Tax” for Labour on Marr.

As I have posted before in very left leaning France not only do they means test the person concerned but the kids too.
    Could you provide some evidence to support this please. Ta

airtragic
    Free Member

Nye bevan spoils it at the end with that sneery remark about Anglo-saxons. Self mythologising bobbins. I believe he was from South Wales anyway, so probably of Anglo-Saxon stock, whatever that means, which is nothing.

airtragic
    Free Member

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Pji_IX-UacM[/video]

Anyway, time for this.

enfht
    Free Member

Keep on With the IRA nonsense though

OK what about when Corbyn invited two convicted IRA to parliament three weeks after the Brighton bombings?

Depends where your sympathies lie eh, dazh.

DrJ

OK what about when Corbyn invited two convicted IRA to parliament three weeks after the Brighton bombings?

Former active IRA member serving as Tory Party councillor

ulysse
    Free Member

Dya wanna keep up these IRA smears, ’cause theres another 2 Torys linked to the IRA that i can point links to as well as the one above, and im sure more can be dug out the woodwork.

Dya wanna hear the story of the ex IRA ASU member who was working both sides, was thrown out the cause for robbing old ladies with a baseball bat, went running to Mi5 for protection, then shipped
    to Liverpool where he was later convicted for supplying heroin and after serving 7 years at Essels leisure, was welcomed with open arms in the Torquay Conservatives?

enfht
    Free Member

They neither justify Corbyn’s behaviour or the idiots defending him.

Viewing 40 posts - 14,921 through 14,960 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.