Viewing 40 posts - 13,801 through 13,840 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • dazh

Perhaps it’s because

So because Corbyn is a dithering incompetent, that justifies handing more power to the most rightwing tory leader in a generation? For the likes of labour moderates, that makes absolutely no sense at all.

jambalaya
    Free Member

No one is handing power to the Tories more than Corbyn, Momentum and the people who voted him in. He was ALWAYS going to be an electoral disaster, it was blindingly obvious. That’s why people like me thought very seriously about spending £3 to vote for him.

outofbreath
    Free Member

So because Corbyn is a dithering incompetent, that justifies handing more power to the most rightwing tory leader in a generation?

No (and your quote didn’t even mention voting for another party). It does however explains why people tolerated Blair’s leadership but not JC’s which is what your quote is questioning. …and in spite of the fact Blair won an election post Iraq, almost nobody has forgiven him for Iraq. Most people want to see him on trial so it’s not like tolerance for Blair was limitless anyway.

molgrips
    Free Member

Perhaps it’s because:

It’s because of image. That’s all. Look at all the negative imagery flying around the guy. Mostly from Binners though to be fair.

outofbreath
    Free Member

Look at all the negative imagery flying around the guy.

Which doesn’t matter as long as he never gets a job where getting himself positively portrayed in the media is utterly critical… Ahhhh wait…

gowerboy

Daz I tried but couldn’t manage to get past the first three paragraphs.

Really? Was it that hard to read or that boring . I guess it explains a lot.

mefty
    Free Member

George Monbiot makes a good point

It is highly unlikely he has, but I checked and as anticpated he hasn’t. Any argument that relies on the suggestion that Theresa May is the most right wing leader of Tories in sometime is clearly ludicrous. She wants to cap energy prices and she seems to be pretty interventionist. Free Marketeers are not impressed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Depends on how you define right wing. Her anti-immigration stance is pretty strong.

mefty
    Free Member

Her anti-immigration stance is pretty strong.

Depends on how you define right wing. I don’t think I am being unfair to say Ernie L is against Freedom of Movement and he doesn’t have a right wing bone in his body.

dazh

Any argument that relies on the suggestion that Theresa May is the most right wing leader of Tories in sometime is clearly ludicrous.

Ludicrous if you believe the fiction that she’s a one-nation tory who has the interests of normal people at heart. All that ‘vicar’s daughter’ nonsense is the same as Thatcher being a shopkeeper’s daughter. She’s worse than the rightwing in many ways. They at least have some beliefs, however misguided they are. Chairman May only cares about her own ambition and power, and will do whatever is required to maintain that, including encouraging hatred of foreigners, and the wholesale demonisation of anyone who dares to oppose or disagree with her. She will allow the rightwing to do whatever they want as long as they tolerate her as leader. That much more dangerous than the likes of more moderate tory PMs like Cameron or Major, and probably even Thatcher.

rone

She wants to cap energy prices and she seems to be pretty interventionist. Free Marketeers are not impressed

Well that’s where i started my post but as Martin Lewis explained. It won’t work.

It’s either fairer for everyone or free-market pricing.

It’s a token policy. Both sides will be guilty of that and certainly Ed M tried more or less the same policy proposal.

I would say she’s still strongly to the right and throwing a cookie like this is more about creating a media headline. Just like her inauguration speech which was almost with a social consciounce. But it’s Malcolm Tucker PR, not a move to the left.

binners

Got agree with Daz. Theresa May has not just allowed some pretty unsavoury rightwing, intolerant racist language and attitudes to enter the mainstream, she’s positively encouraged it. Along with the hysterical ‘Enemies of the People’ attitude of the right wing press to suppress dissent. All for her own ends. As we know this is always ends well.

Not to worry though. Its the last PMQ’s before the election shortly. Expect a souring oratory from Jeremy to point out this, and all the other faults she possesses, while clearly articulating his bold vision for the future of the country, as he continues his relentless march towards power. All as the Maybot quakes before him, seeing her political future crumbling.

Well… something like that…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“I’ve just got a letter……from a Mrs Trellis of North Wales…..”

binners

His postbag is still quite full. Now we know why he doesn’t have chance to do much else. What with reading all those, and then there’s the allotment…..

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jezza rants.
    Angus asks a question.

AlexSimon

On a slightly different note, it’s pretty refreshing seeing most Lab MPs putting aside differences to focus on getting elected.

I know it’s only because they have no choice, but it might be one of the factors in seeing the press actually reporting some of the policies for a change.

PMQs was as depressing as ever. JC’s desperate ranting vs May’s sneery ‘not fit to lick my leapard-skin shoes’ put-downs.

outofbreath
    Free Member

PMQs was as depressing as ever. JC’s desperate ranting vs May’s sneery ‘not fit to lick my leapard-skin shoes’ put-downs.

National embarrasment IMHO. Labour were spot on to reduce it to 1 a week. 0 a week would be better. It’s just the MPs thinking up questions that can’t be answered without political damage and the PM avoiding the question. Then a few lackeys ask planted questions.

kimbers

Then a few lackeys ask planted questions.

they really really grind my gears

toadying, lickspittle circle jerkers

oldbloke
    Free Member

I live in the only Labour constituency in Scotland and just had our MPs canvassers at the door. Conversation went something like:

“We’d like to encourage you to vote for Ian Murray”
    “He’s a decent MP, but, well, don’t want to encourage anyone to take that as an endorsement of Corbyn”
    “Yes, we get that. Everyone’s telling us he’s the problem”
    “Yes, he is”
    “You don’t need to worry though, he’ll not be PM and he won’t be around for much longer”
    “So what’s the point in voting Labour then?”
    “Fair point”

dragon
    Free Member

At least in your constituency Labour turned up at the door. I think they’ve given up where I am and it seems a straight fight between SNP and Conservative, with both parties doing the rounds knocking on doors. Labour seemly reduced to a lone, grubby looking man putting a leaflet through the letter box and scurrying off.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Post Farron’s PMQ hammering at least the Lib Dems showed leadership in dealing with anti-semites in their ranks. Sacked immediately.

On a lighter note (well for me anyway), the Tories best election weapon …

The caption reads – It’s the Conservative Party battle bus

Junkyard
    Free Member

I feel confident he would treat islamophobes exactly the same way and he does not have time for those who play the race card and try and demonise any religion or people
    I bet he is not the sort of person to pick and choose over whether its wrong to treat races/religions like this depending on which one they follow.

scotroutes

Labour seemly reduced to a lone, grubby looking man putting a leaflet through the letter box and scurrying off.

I thought he was at PMQs?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

he does not have time for those who play the race card

No time for playing that game of divide and rule, is there?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“After signing a Holocaust Educational Trust book of remembrance, Mr Ward had blogged that he was “saddened that the Jews, who suffered unbelievable levels of persecution during the Holocaust, could within a few years of liberation from the death camps be inflicting atrocities on Palestinians”.”

Can’t say I agree with it, but not really anti-Semitic, IMHO.

binners

Hang on a minute…..He’s a what? 😯

Being personally attacked by Boris like this, just makes a lot of people, particularly traditional Labour voters think…..

I hope they keep this kind of thing up. Because theres nothing like having some over-privilidged Eton buffoon launching personal attacks, using words they’ve never heard, to make the average working class voter think… ‘hey… you know what…. that guy really has my best interests at heart’

They need to wheel Jacob Rees Mogg out too. Every time he opens his mouth, theres a 2% spike in the Labour vote. The more the Tories go about ‘being Tories’, the closer the polls are going to get. Its alright banging on (a bit too smugly and complacently IMHO) about the huge poll lead, but I think that the press don’t really understand just how toxic the Tories still are in certain parts of the country. This was amply illustrated by their shock at the outpouring of Joy in a lot of places when Fatcha carked it. That attitude towards them is very much alive and well in a lot of places, who have long memories, and are also noting the Fatcha/May comparisons that the right wing press think is a plus point. Yeah, well it might be in some places. In others….

Now the proper campaign has begun, I can only see the polls going one way. Closer. I expect as they do that we’ll see an unbelievable level of nastiness against Corbyn in the right-wing press

martinhutch

“Meandering and Nonsensical”?

Boris really does have no self-awareness, does he?

binners

Indeed.

Pot….

kettle

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Is Boris a Labour plant?

outofbreath
    Free Member

Is Boris a Labour plant?

<tinfoilhat>
    Boris is one of the three brexiteers responsible for managing Brexit. Would he rather be out of office without Brexit in his in tray?</tinfoilhat>

jambalaya
    Free Member

We love Boris. His intervention in the Referendum was a key factor in a Leave victory. Die hard Labour supporters don’t like him and that’s a badge of honour.

He uses these bizarre words on purpose – just look at the press its EVERYWHERE. If he’d just called an idiot or incompetant there would be nothing like the coverage 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We love Boris.

Forelock tugger.

binners

We love Boris

Speak for yourself. Boris isn’t half as clever as he thinks he is. And he massively overestimates his own importance, as well as his intelligence. He’s a useful idiot for May. A fall guy for when it all goes tits up. Thats all

I hope he keeps doing what he’s doing. The present huge Tory poll lead is down to previous labour voters switching to the Tories. But it looks like the poll lead has gone to their head, and they’re feeling far too smug about the Brexit vote, and are reverting to type. Smug. Superior. Born to Rule. And thats exactly how this kind of thing comes across

Boris’s attack was meant to diminish Corbyn, and I’m sure everyone in Surrey found it all frightfully witty… good old Boris eh….. but those people all vote Tory anyway.

How do you think its playing elsewhere?

And how do you think the Tories prematurely triumphalist attitude is being perceived in places with fewer ivory towers?

martinhutch

He’s a useful idiot for May. A fall guy for when it all goes tits up. Thats all

Another misjudged policy. Every time you see him in the line-up with the other G8 foreign ministers, the cringe is massive. There’s more going on in the UK’s rapidly contracting sphere of influence than Brexit, and Boris, wherever possible, will **** it up for us.

AlexSimon

Yes, but he’s always been like this and it never seems to make him less popular. Look at how many Labour/Swing voters must have changed to vote him in as Mayor.

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ what Alex says. Labour have a massive in-built advantage in the London mayoral vote and Boris won twice.

kimbers

Borris only just scraped in as mayor the 2nd time against a deeply unpopular and increasingly erratic Livingston that even the guardian had turned against!

Yes undoubtedly popular tho, a convincing liar and amoral hypocrite of the highest order, which makes him a good politician, I suppose.

While he happily tosses out insults that are deeply pleasing to Sun readers (he’s been allowed off the leash specifically for this task today).

As our foreign sec he’s an embarrassment, he is the international poster boy for the lies of Brexit, as such his attempts at further sanctions on Russia were ignored out of hand at the G7.
    So he’s a great example of post Brexit Britain , really.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We could all learn from Corbyn on this one. Apart from some of the right wing nut jobs, he’s probably one of the most insulted politicians in Britain presently, yet, he doesn’t really do it back.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wonder how borris and his wager thin cred ability have survived brexit, most rational people have seen through his lies and shit. The last outburst may appeal to the old Tories but it’s another example of how out of touch some are.

kimbers

It’s about building a narrative, the Tories a have an awkward, cold seeming leader.

It’s in their interest to wheel out Johnson and throw silly names at Corbyn

So May seems to be all calm and collected by comparison (even if shes actually short tempered and indecisive and her time at home sec showed she’s pretty useless and incompetent to boot)

Viewing 40 posts - 13,801 through 13,840 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.