Viewing 40 posts - 13,041 through 13,080 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • Junkyard
    Free Member

We all want effective opposition but an effective opposition to the labour party being shit is not to clutch at straws like this and just shout “he bottled it” and then cite twitter as your proof

Thanks for letting me know you dont care about the fact when forming your opinion….the transformation to right wing nutjob is complete 😉

ulysse
    Free Member

Ineffective opposition? You mean like Milliband, yeah, with the abstentions, the voting to the Tory line?
    Since Corbyn ‘s tenure, I’d say some of Cameron and May’s worst excesses have been well checked.
    And I’m no Corbynista, being a paid up Green, before that insult gets bandied about

binners

oldmanmtb – I pretty much agree with every word of that*. Which is also why the Corbyn sects tragic short-sightedness, and blinkered stupidity will never be forgiven, as thy stand idly by, or in fact, actually wave on the transformation of Britian into a neo-liberal, corporatist wet dream, where the working classes are about to be well and truly bent over.

* thats a sentence I never thought I’d type 😯

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Ahhh Binners I’m filling up..

dazh

Which is also why the Corbyn sects tragic short-sightedness, and blinkered stupidity will never be forgiven

Despite the fact that I agree that Labour/Corbyn’s post-referendum stance on brexit is a massive mistake, you really can’t blame them for brexit. 2/3rds of labour voters voted remain. Whichever way you look at it, the labour party, and Corbyn, delivered their supporters to the remain cause. If in 5 years or however long we’re dishing out blame on who’s fault this is when it all comes crashing down, it will lie squarely on the shoulders of May, Farage, Johnson, Gove and all the other nutters, and not Corbyn and John McD. I may have missed it, but I’ve never heard you criticise the remainer tory MPs on brexit like you do Corbyn et al.

binners

I may have missed it, but I’ve never heard you criticise the remainer tory MPs on brexit

Surely that’s just a given for anyone with anything between their ears. Its all I expect from them. They’re Tory’s just doing what they do. I generally try to hold the Labour party to a higher standard. Hence my total despair/anger/frustration at the present state of affairs.

And actually I think that given how narrow the ‘victory’ of the leave campaign was, the fact that Corbyn went AWOL during the campaign, then when asked to endorse the EU said ‘s’aright I suppose’ like a surly teenager, was actually a massive contributory factor in getting us to where we are now. Would the result have been the same if the leader of the Labour Party had actually turned up?

ctk
    Free Member

@ Binners, So Corbyn should have stopped Brexit and won over the ex-Labour now Ukip voters?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Corbyn is not bothered if we are in or out ( momentum have a similair view) as he is not interested in being in power so a unencumbered Tory party tearing up all sorts of rights just provides something to shout about. Not sure if it was Marx or Lenin that talked about how much misery is needed to be created to ensure a revolution.

binners

@ Binners, So Corbyn should have stopped Brexit and won over the ex-Labour now Ukip voters?

It should be clear to anyone that a Tory party taking us out of the EU, an d handed a blank sheet of paper to re-write pretty much everything is going to be an absolute unmitigated catastrophe for the working class which the Labour party is supposed to represent (hence 70% of labour voters opting to remain)

Unfortunately Corbyn exists in a state of arrested political development, and his opinions and attitudes were set in stone some point around 1977, hence his inherent hostility to the EU. Its like Thatcherism, and everything since then never happened. It takes a spectacular brand of stupid to think that what’s about to happen will be a good thing for the working class, or anything but a disaster compared to what we had.

But then when you’re looking for a spectacular brand of stupid, look no further….

dazh

And actually I think that given how narrow the ‘victory’ of the leave campaign was, the fact that Corbyn went AWOL during the campaign, then when asked to endorse the EU said ‘s’aright I suppose’ like a surly teenager, was actually a massive contributory factor in getting us to where we are now.

Where we are now is a result of 2 million more people voting to leave rather than remain. I haven’t done the maths but even if an extra 10% of labour voters voted to remain I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t have changed the result. As a comparison 68% of liberal democrats voted remain. That’s only 3% more than labour yet I don’t here you chastising Tim Farron for betraying the nation.

Junkyard
    Free Member

the fact that Corbyn went AWOL during the campaign, then when asked to endorse the EU said ‘s’aright I suppose’ like a surly teenager, was actually a massive contributory factor in getting us to where we are now.

THank god you have risen once more above common room politics FROWNS
    So what you are saying is that the you wish Corbyn – who you spend all your time explaining how shit and electorally toxic he is- had tried harder to achieve something even though everything he does is shit and fails

TBH had he done this all you would say is – see look he is shit and it is his fault

FWIW i think there is mileage in criticising him re Brexit as he was a very weak yes – i think he did it because he had to as leader and not because he actually believed it hence all his actions since have been to support Brexit- here but you just criticise him whatever he does.

If he started shitting gild bricks you would complain that they were too small, not enough and why did he not do it earlier

You and this thread is like a stuck record

binners

I don’t here you chastising Tim Farron for betraying the nation.

Farron was considerably more visable, and vocal than Corbyn before, during and after the referendum. In fact since the referendum he’s been pretty much the only politician, other than some cleverer/braver Tory’s like Anna Sourby and Nikki Morgan, that has the temerity to point out that the narrative of the Brexiteers is complete lies and fantasy.

Whats that cockwomble done? Said on the day of the result that article 50 should be triggered immediately, then put a 3 line whip in place to force Labour MP’s to give Theresa May… as Nichola Sturgeon accurately pointed out… a ‘blank cheque’ to do what she bloody well likes!

You really couldn’t make it up!

He’s just sold the working class (who he’s meant to represent), not to mention anyone remotely socially liberal, down the river for a ‘principle’ that was years past its sell-by date by 1882, never mind today. Its tragic!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2/3rds of labour voters voted remain

And two thirds of Labour constituencies voted Leave.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@oldman as I have said before the current and especially new membership have never had it so good as they have come in from the wilderness that is the far left a d have taken over a mainstream party. Thats extra profile, jobs amd ££££. The fact the Pabour Party is further from power now doesn’ bother them as personally they have advanced their agenda. They see it as a multi year (decade ?) project possibly looking beyond even the 2025 general election

I imagine Binners will stop accusing the Labour Leadership of running away when they stop actually running away. First QT after the budget with Tories in a bit of bother over NI / small business and Shadow Chancellor is a no show.

br
    Free Member

Don’t you remember? Labour voters don’t have cars. [/I]

Just watched the start of QT, and it seems that he gave enough notice that Kezia Dugdale had time to drive down, not that she’d anything to go home for 🙂

johnx2
    Free Member

QT’s not that big a deal (as in I rarely watch it, and then mainly by accident, being almost as averse to the general public as Corbyn). But yeah, it’s Sunderland ffs, after a rocky budget and the Shadow Chance is slated to appear. Not one to miss. One tweet and he’d have a fleet of constituency agents in their aged Citroens or whatever ferrying him to the wrong end of the M1. He didn’t prioritise it and didn’t do it.

If in 5 years or however long we’re dishing out blame on who’s fault this is when it all comes crashing down, it will lie squarely on the shoulders of May, Farage, Johnson, Gove and all the other nutters, and not Corbyn and John McD.

Nah. They’ll blame the 27 countries of the EU.

Anecdotally, I hope I may be detecting growing disillusionment on the part of some corb voters. I’ve even been told that I was right all along. But that might just have been to make me spit out my pint in astonishment. I’ve no faith that getting rid of Corbyn will make things much better, but christ it can’t make things worse. Cheers…

dazh

Farron was considerably more visable, and vocal than Corbyn before, during and after the referendum.

And yet he only delivered 3% more of his supporters. So either Tim Farron is a massive failure, or Corbyn’s supposed inaction had much less impact than you suggest. Which is it cos I’m confused?

outofbreath
    Free Member

“I’ve no faith that getting rid of Corbyn will make things much better”

Yup. Labour is tainted. They are vulnerable to the argument Corbyn’s tribe are the “true” Labour Party. “Vote David Milliband* get a Marxist”. Hard to deny.

I really don’t see a way out for Labour.

Mind you before the last election I was certain the Tory party was utterly finished for good and I got that wrong.

*Example hypothetical future sane candidate.

dazh

I really don’t see a way out for Labour.

It’s quite simple really. All the PLP have to do IMO is grant Corbyn/the left the reduction they want in the number of MP nominations needed to get on a leadership ballot. Do this and I’m pretty sure Corbyn will gracefully step aside long before the next election. A new more energetic leader can then be elected, hopefully from an all-female shortlist. By this time brexit will have become the cluster**** everyone expects it to be, the tories will be busy stabbing each other in the back over who’s fault it is, and come the election Corbyn will be a distant memory.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“All the PLP have to do IMO is grant Corbyn/the left the reduction they want in the number of MP nominations needed to get on a leadership ballot.”

Yes, because making it easier for hopeless leadership candidates to get on the ballot is an ideal solution to the problem of a useless leader.

dazh

Yes, because making it easier for hopeless leadership candidates to get on the ballot is an ideal solution to the problem of a useless leader.

It’s the only way to heal the divide between the membership and the PLP. It’s a democratic party, not an old boys establishment stitch up like the tories. It’s also the most effective method of getting rid of Corbyn. He’s not going to stand aside unless candidates from the left have a chance of succeeding him.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

It was 18 years between a labour government leaving office and winning an election. 1979 to 1997.

It will take as least as long for Labour to recover and that means 11 years from now at best. In reality it will take 3 elections 2020, 2025 so 2030 is the first election they stand a cat in hells chance of winning – 13 years, a total of 20 years out of office

ctk
    Free Member

I think Labour only has crap leadership candidates. Corbyn was the best of the 4 put in front of us.

Maybe the others might have played out better? Burnham was collapsing in front of Corbyn’s challenge FFS.

kerley
    Free Member

I think Labour only has crap leadership candidates. Corbyn was the best of the 4 put in front of us.

And that is still the problem today isn’t it. They will just look a bit better now but only because Corbyn is looking worse.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“It’s a democratic party, not an old boys establishment stitch up like the tories.”

Old boys which include all the female British Prime ministers there have ever been…

binners

“It’s a democratic party, not an old boys establishment stitch up like the tories.”

Every single political party in the world is looking at the present state of the labour party in, and making sure they never do anything as profoundly stupid as throwing your leadership open to a democratic process involving anyone prepared to stump up a few quid, rocking up and deciding it.

From serious political force, losing an election by the narrowest of margins, to laughably implausible, catastrophically incompetent, totally ineffectual, politically irrelevant placard-wavers in the space of12 months….

As the law of (catastrophic) unintended political consequences go, it wins hands down.

Hurray for democracy!

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Milliband’s “safety check” when handing more power to the members in the Leadership election was to ensure a decent number of MPs supported the candidate. Where Labour fell down is MPs backed his candidacy to “widen the debate” wihoit ever expecting him to win.

@oldman the problem with that scenario is that Labour are in a far worse state now than they ever where in the 1970’s. Labour in England is starting to look like Labour in Scotland. There could be no way back.

ulysse
    Free Member

I’m sure most of you are watching a completely different PMQ’S to the ones I’m seeing?

ctk
    Free Member

Isn’t there always a lefty candidate on the ballot?

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

I agree Jamba but traditional labour voters in England don’t have an SNP type alternative and most will not vote Tory ukip or lib they will simply abstain. As Blair points out (in a rare moment of clarity) the majority of England has no political representation. So we do end up with a one party state that only collects support from around 25% of the electorate

binners

Me agreeing with you is getting into a worrying habit fella. I know plenty of life-long labour voters who say they can’t possibly vote for Corbyn. I think the Lib Dems will pick up a lot of votes in the metropolitan seats who voted heavily to remain, disgusted at Corbyns stance on Brexit, but not enough to win many seats. UKIP won’t pick any up, as they’re now irrelevant

Most labour voters will just stay at home, like they did in Copeland. With the same result as Copeland. An awful lot of previously rock solid labour seats will turn blue. I honestly believe that labour could be reduced to around 100 seats

The first indication of whats to come will be the local council elections in May. Talking to a couple of our local labour councillors, they’re expecting armageddon. I don’t think I need to tell you their opinions of the beardy messiah, and his experiment in 6th form politics.

I expect once this electoral decimation occurs, Corbyn and posse will trot out the same lame excuses as Copeland, as they lose masses of local councils to the Tory’s, including some that have been labour since the dawn of time

ulysse
    Free Member

Local council elections are a completely different thing, the way Cliff Morris has been caught carrying on in Bolton, ill be very very surprised if it isn’t a Lib dem landslide, despite the fact the the local Westminster representative David Crausby, Labour is one of the good guys

seosamh77
    Free Member

Binners, Corbyn is pretty useless, but you give him too much credit for the demise of labour. It’s been a long process started long before him. He’s just a symptom.

binners

I’m not denying that. Blair has to shoulder a lot of the blame for hollowing out the party from the inside, and stuffing it full of identikit yes men lobby fodder.

But Corbyn was never going to be the answer. And so it’s proved. The labour vote had been in steady decline anyway, but Corbyn has uttered in an exodus. And incredibly he gets progressively worse.

Labour is due to be decimated in May, losing swathes of council seats to a sitting Tory government mid-term. A previously unthinkable proposition, pre-Corbyn.

Expect to hear lots of talk of his mandate as he gets his minions to trot out the same farcical Copeland excuses, while he refuses to change course or resign, and Theresa cracks the champagne open, safe in the knowledge that a huge majority awaits when she names the day

br
    Free Member

+1 binners

But when I lived in a solid Tory seat I had no real choice other than voting LibDem’s or spoiling my paper.

Now I live in Scotland so it’s SNP, a LibDem vote will only let the Tory in (Borders).

seosamh77
    Free Member

biggest problem is there’s no-one to replace him.

Dunno if you read that article I put up a while ago from tom devine, it was more related to scottish independence, but he made a very good point that essentially there’s large swaths of england unrepresented these days and that there must be something that will come and fill that void, he thinks there’s nothing surer. How or what I dunno, but it surely has to happen?

binners

I think you’re right. This could well be the death throes of the Labour Party. The SNP have shown what happens when a credible alternative is offered to the directionless complacency of Labour. The arguament that it was all about independence is wishful thinking on behalf of a Labour Party in denial. There’s far more substance to it than that! And the whole Brexit issue, and the opposite positions the party’s have taken will absolutely guarantee those voters will never be coming back to labour. They’re gone for good!

If a party with similar middle of the road, more humane, less slavishly neo-liberal, more social democratic policies, with credible MPs, and a competent, charismatic leader stood, then the Scottish result would be replicated right across the ‘Labour Heartlands’, and the Labour Party would be consigned to a fringe rabble of lefties, heckling ineffectively from the sidelines, while not even bothering to offer up a realistic, credible alternatives. Which in effect, with the present front bench, is what it already is.

As someone living in the North of England, and totally despairing of the Labour Party, and the permanent Tory rule it seems happy to let happen, I’d vote for the SNP tomorrow if I could. And I’m far from alone. Can we not move the border down a bit? 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

Interesting you say that. As much as i support independence can’t really bring myself to vote for the snp! 😆

It annoys me that the snp are basically it up here. I’d like a much more diverse pro indy political landscape. I’m for coalitions rather than single party dominance. I think compromise is healthy.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

For a moment, I thought you were talking about voting for the snip Joe!! 😉

seosamh77
    Free Member

😆

You know what I mean though. It’s evident from the brexit ref and from the Scottish ref that if you were to ask people what is the essence of democracy, many would say majority rule. Personally I think that misses the point. Compromise is the essence of democracy.
    ?
    Something the tories would do well to understand. Still perplexes me why they won’t entertain the idea of scotland in the EU and in the union(particularly when that is going to be the irish solution). Do that and you basically kill off any idea the argument the SNP have of an IS.

Anyhow OT i know. apologies, I’ll stop the scottish train of thought here..

Will leave this question open to anyone to bring it back on topic, do you see a viable alternative to the tories forming in England and Wales anytime in the near future, and if so, where’s it coming from

Viewing 40 posts - 13,041 through 13,080 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.