Viewing 40 posts - 11,321 through 11,360 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Phew ! Labour aren’t so daft to allow Jeremy Corbyn to attend Castro’s funeral.

They are sending Emily Thornbery though 😯

rone

BTW removing VAT on anything is impossible whilst in the EU, you can onky add it to things

That’s not true, we make zero rated supplies quite often based on the clients circumstances.

Vat is a complex area in or out of EU. And given various governments have adjusted the rate several times what does that tell you?

DrJ

Phew ! Labour aren’t so daft to allow Jeremy Corbyn to attend Castro’s funeral.

Posted at 02.30? Did you really get up in the middle of the night to post that nugget of wisdom? Or do you have some sort of ‘bot that posts nonsense automatically, without human intervention?

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Getting angry but whipped by Teresa, sorry Theresa at PMQ

Rarely watch it, but is it usual to start questions with the real leader of the Oppo (Caroline Lucas) rather than the pretend one?

Odd that we have labour shouting now for less borrowing, quicker. Odd priorities for them.

jambalaya
    Free Member

PMQ. Thanks for heads up TMH forgot to tune in.

DrJ no I did not wake up to post that. What’s yourctake then on Labour sending the Shadow Foreign Secretary to join Jerry Adams at the funeral of a dictator who persecuted homosexuals and Christians and tortured many Cubans given there will be no representationform the UK Government and it’s an invitation even the Russians/Putin turned down.

That’s not true, we make zero rated supplies quite often based on the clients circumstances.

Interesting, but you are not changing the rules you are applying the existing ones based upon client classification (genuine question) ? No doubt in my mind the Toies will announce an end to VAT on gas/electric and water post Brexit in 2019 and before the 2020 GE.

dazh

You posted it whilst sleeping?

jambalaya
    Free Member

You posted it whilst sleeping?

🙂 a man of many talents eh ?

It’s like that email trick where you draft the weekly work roundup and then select “send at 6pm on Sunday” or draft the daily update in the evening and send it at 6.30 am

jambalaya
    Free Member

PMQs Corbyn mixes up the IMF and IFS allowing May to simply mock him. He really doesn’t get it and he would have practiced the question too.

binners

****ing clueless!!

I had it on the radio, but I imagine the assembled benches behind him were united in a collective facepalm as he misquoted the figures? Once again spooning it into Row Z when faced with an open goal?

Mind you… at least he remembered to actually mention them, instead of his usual “this week I met a builder called Bob, who asked about….. ” routine. So I suppose thats progress of sorts

jambalaya
    Free Member

The SNP motion for a committee to investigate Blair was crushed as 158 Labour MPs turned up to vote against, Corbyn couldn’t even be bothered to attend the debate and this on one of his hot “Stop the War” issues. Last night the PLP voted unanamously for a 3 line whip (and to vote against) and Corbyn refused. Well they turned up in large numbers anyway. Corbyn is very isolated at Westminster, as he has always been.

At least the PLP understands that continued self flagilation over Iraq is counterprodictive in the same way the SNP is aware that’s it’s a prodictive furrow for them to plough slapping Labour at every opportunity.

Ben Bradshaw, the former culture secretary, told the Telegraph: “I am celebrating the fact that more Labour MPs turned up to vote even though it wasn’t a three line whip.

“It seems his absence inflated the Labour turnout, that’s one of the best turnouts I can remember from the PLP. They voted overwhelmingly and I’m delighted at the result.”

Another former frontbencher added: “Jeremy commands loyalty and unity but its only ever on his terms. The PLP voted almost unanimously for a three line whip.

“Nobody at the PLP on Monday night thought we should support the SNP’s motion- it was pretty much unanimous. Once again Jeremy Corbyn treats his colleges with contempt.”

big_n_daft
    Free Member

No doubt in my mind the Toies will announce an end to VAT on gas/electric and water post Brexit in 2019 and before the 2020 GE.

It would be a great initiative to do so, fuel poverty is a big issue. not sure what will make up the gap though

Labour could and should announce that type of policy now, just state other taxes will go up to make up any spending gap but be focused on the better off. Any delay gives the Conservatives a massive chance to gain another part of the middle ground improving disproportionately the wallets of the lowest incomes

dazh

Labour could and should announce that type of policy now

What’s the point? It’s just frilling round the edges. The only thing that will save labour is big game-changing stuff now. If they want to reverse the slide they’d probably have to do the following:

1. Get rid of Corbyn and replace him with ?????
    2. Embrace brexit. Stop sitting on the fence and start exposing the tories on their incompetent dithering.
    3. Come up with an immigration policy which protects british jobs whilst allowing immigration as and when it’s needed. (that means actually saying so, with none of this ‘protecting communities from pirate bosses’ rubbish)
    4. Declare themselves opponents of international free trade.
    5. Launch a committed and zero-tolerance assault on the rich and corporates for not paying their taxes.
    6. Promote the regions, allow Scotland independence-light. Call out the Northen Powerhouse for what it is.
    7. Bring in some truly populist policies like legalising drugs (debatable but we’re ready for it.

Not saying I agree with some of the above but it’s the only way they’re not going to disappear up their own backsides. The world is sliding into populism, better a labour govt do it than rightwing nutters like the tories and UKIP.

binners

The irony is that its become increasingly obvious that Corbyn is easily as vain, self-absorbed and egotistical as Trump or Farage.

Populism without being popular?

Ingenious.

DrJ

DrJ no I did not wake up to post that.

You can post shyte in yiour sleep ?

What’s yourctake then on Labour sending the Shadow Foreign Secretary to join Jerry Adams at the funeral of a dictator who persecuted homosexuals and Christians and tortured many Cubans given there will be no representationform the UK Government

I don’t see why he doesn’t go himself – Cuba is a fascinating place. People who have to figfht for their lives in order to overthrow corrupt dictators often make bad misjudgements at a later date. Still, a sensible assessment would weigh those against his enormous achievements.

molgrips
    Free Member

The irony is that its become increasingly obvious that Corbyn is easily as vain, self-absorbed and egotistical as Trump or Farage.

Not to me…

binners

You not been watching Molls?

He’s absolutely revelling in his utterly ineffectual, almost comically awful personality cult.

As long as he gets to receive the adulation of the Momentum sixth formers, then the total destruction of the Labour Party, and permanent Tory hegemony doesn’t seem to even register with him

The only thing he’s ever looked like he could really be arsed about was his own re-election

It’s all just a big self-indulgent ego trip

big_n_daft
    Free Member

What’s the point? It’s just frilling round the edges. The only thing that will save labour is big game-changing stuff now. I

There is a lot of a point, both in the policy and in the signals it sends about embracing Brexit and the opportunity it presents

1. Get rid of Corbyn and replace him with ?????

Dan Jarvis, he’s come out of hiding and can attract cash

2. Embrace brexit. Stop sitting on the fence and start exposing the tories on their incompetent dithering.

is there dithering? No one has come up with a strategy that exposes dithering. The reality is that it’s very complex

3. Come up with an immigration policy which protects british jobs whilst allowing immigration as and when it’s needed. (that means actually saying so, with none of this ‘protecting communities from pirate bosses’ rubbish)

half this forum would call this “shameful”

4. Declare themselves opponents of international free trade.

but what is the policy? Opposing isn’t a policy

5. Launch a committed and zero-tolerance assault on the rich and corporates for not paying their taxes.

rich will just move, corporations are easier, Amazon, Starbucks, Guardian Media Group are taking the mickey

6. Promote the regions,

great

allow Scotland independence-light.

what extra are you going to do?

Call out the Northen Powerhouse for what it is.

is this just opposing, or will their be policies?

7. Bring in some truly populist policies like legalising drugs (debatable but we’re ready for it.

interesting but expect the CDT testing industry to boom

dazh

is there dithering?

Probably for the other thread but they’re not planning on invoking article 50 til march, and still haven’t come up with a strategy or said what it is they plan on proposing to the EU to settle the many issues on the table. Yes, it’s very complex (so complex to be unachievable IMO), but all we’ve seen so far is inaction, indecision, conflicted messages, wishful thinking and general incompetence. I’d say dithering is a pretty charitable description of what’s happened since June.

but what is the policy?

This is exactly the point. People don’t care about policy. Have you not heard that they’re sick of experts telling them what’s best for them? They want someone to be their champion, to represent their interests and speak the same language as them. I keep saying it, but Bernie Sanders has this nailed down. The broad brush message is more important than clever policy. Corbyn doesn’t get this at all. He thinks if he presents lots of clever left wing policies people will rationally think about them and agree because that’s what sensible, logical, informed and intelligent people do. If the last year has proved anything it’s that there aren’t enough people like that out there to win an election.

jambalaya
    Free Member

First 20 odd minutes of This Week are well worth watching … the intro on Castro is excellent 🙂

dazh

First 20 odd minutes of This Week are well worth watching

Who is Jamie Carragher? 😀

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

binners

I always look to gobby Scouse defenders for political direction 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

there was an interesting debate/conversation on the radio 4’s pm show. the premise was that the left wing parties should “unite” and field just the 1 candidate, either labour, liberal or green for example and try and squeeze the tories out that way some professor of politics from the tartan lands postulated it would gain the labour party IIRC 50-60 seats and double libdems count to 18-20 seats. David Steel was very pro reminiscing on the good ol’ days of the lib-lab pact (skipped over the sdp-lib splitting the left vote in 83 though), Caroline Lucas was very pro on condition that pr was on the table (though the prof didn’t think they would win any more seats). The labour guy, Ian Austin was very anti and dismissive of the idea. Though I did think he missed an open goal by not reminding David Steel that libdems propped up a minority tory government and why would they help them do that again ? I think it always sounds promising in theory but I don’t think it works in practice.

dazh

the premise was that the left wing parties should “unite” and field just the 1 candidate

Andrew Rawnsley addresses just this point today in the Observer. Given the horror scenario of a UKIP-tory coalition there’s a good case. Won’t happen though whilst Corbyn is leader of labour as he seems set on a pro-brexit stance to appease white working class people who won’t vote for him.

binners

No, you’ve forgotten the important bit. Corbyn supports brexit, but with one proviso…

Unlimited immigration.

Not fussed about access to the single market.. I mean, who cares about that, right? – but we must maintain unlimited freedom of movement at all costs.

Talk about reading the mood of the voters?

It’s like he’s having a competition to see what single policy will lose you the most votes. There’s another by-election on Thursday, where they”ll do just as well as they did in Richmond. Not that that will even register with that clueless ****-wit

You really couldn’t make it up!

tjagain

wrong Binners – where did you read that. He wants access to the single market and understands we need freedom of movement to get it

binners

He doesn’t. Not read the papers today uncle Jezza?

He’s a moron. A vote-repelling machine!

tjagain

Nope – its the rtest of the labour party that do that I am afraid. I’ll give two examples from Scotland. Labour health spokesman claiming half a billion cuts in the scottish NHS – outright lie. Budget is up 3% and also press release stating how much expenses the scottish snp mps are taking and how little they attend – turns out their average is much less than labour MPs for expenses and they attend more!

Its the whole labour machine that is the issue. They have forgotten how to lead and thus try to be all things to all people, they lie continually and they don’t realise we see thru them

binners

Bet they lose their deposit again on Thursday

tjagain

Labour will seek to amend any bill on the Article 50 process to withdraw from the EU, Jeremy Corbyn has reiterated.

The Labour leader told Sky News this was to ensure Britain maintained access to Europe’s markets, workers’ rights and environmental protection measures.

But his party would respect the EU referendum result, he said.

It comes as the government prepares to go to court on Monday to challenge the High Court ruling that it must consult MPs before triggering Article 50.

Mr Corbyn said: “When the Article 50 debate comes up we will put forward an amendment to it which will be on the issues I’ve just said on market access and protections.

tjagain

Yup – thats the issue with them not Corbyn. I have seen Corbyn make an announcement and Watson contradict him within hours

Corbyn is quoted above – the bit =in bold is not what binners thinks he says.

There is no doubt some want to follow the xenophobic press. Idiots! and that is why they have lost my vote and support. Benn, watson, Cooper et al. Not Corbyn

dragon
    Free Member

No the issue is Corbyn as he is no leader and as such he has no control over his own people or party. Hence, the public have no idea what the party position is on many issues, that will play very badly come polling day.

binners

It’s weird isn’t it? You come out on the day of the referendum result and call a press conference to announce that you think article 50 should be triggered IMMEDIATELY!!! then you spend the next few months backtracking from that position. And you wonder why people don’t know what the hell your position is

Voters eh?

Idiots!

🙄

tjagain

Binners – shame your rant about corbyn is completely contradicted by direct quotes from the man himself.

binners

He doesn’t need me to contradict him comrade. He makes a habit of regularly doing that to himself.

I wonder what this weeks position will be?

It takes some doing to make the 3 stooges look consistent, and on message, but Jezza seems to manage it all by himself.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IIRC, old jezza did a sensible flip flop from being anti single market but pro freedom of movement to being pro both. Ludicrous to sensible…someone obviously “had a word”

Still that is music to Nuttall’s ears no doubt

dazh

shame your rant about corbyn is completely contradicted by direct quotes from the man himself.

Doesn’t matter what Corbyn says, or what his supporters say, or whether it’s justified or not. The simple fact is that he’s become an object of ridicule in the mind of the general populace. Labour MPs have resigned themselves to the fact that they’re going to have to suffer a catastrophic election defeat to get rid of him, and they’re quietly pursuing this strategy of undermining him without mounting direct attacks as they did before. It’s almost admirable TBH, given that they are the ones who will suffer most by losing their seats.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Come on TJ we all know Corbyn was delighted with the Referendum result. He has spent his whole career ranting and blogging negatively about the EU. John McDonnell spoke about the great opportunities Brexit provided and then Kim Starmer on Andrew Marr this w/e kept dodging the question about opportunity and the best he could come up with that Brexit provided the opportunity for us all come together 😀

Commentators have noted Labour got less votes in Richmond than they have members, as Marr pointed out Labour voters voted Lib Dem, Marr treid to say that it was that LibDems offered real anti-Brexit choice my view it was purely tactical. Labour voters voted for the party that might win.

The other interesting question is whether many of those Richmond Labour party members joined to vote for Corbyn as leader but in fact support other parties ? 😉

ninfan
    Free Member

where did you read that. He wants access to the single market and understands we need freedom of movement to get it

Corbyn Speech 5th November:

We will be pressing for full access to the European single market as part of the Brexit negotiations
    We won’t offer false promises on immigration targets or sow divisions by scapegoating migrants …
    Instead we will tackle the real issues of immigration, support fair rules on migration, and take decisive action to end the undercutting of workers’ pay and conditions through the exploitation of migrant labour.

So, which is it, ‘freedom of movement’ or ‘fair rules on migration’?

But wait, what’s this from September:

“There are directives and obligations linked to the single market, such as state aid rules and requirements to liberalise and privatise public services, which we would not want to see as part of a post-Brexit relationship.”

Sounds like he wants to have his cake and eat it!

Viewing 40 posts - 11,321 through 11,360 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.