Viewing 40 posts - 11,121 through 11,160 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • clodhopper
    Free Member

“Corbyn has never had a job”

Ah, I see you’ve been studying at the Jambalaya School of Historical Revisionism. 😆

“He IS the establishment as much as Theresa May is”

😆 Good god. You really are funny sometimes.

“And difficult to point to your business achievements, when you’ve never started so much as a small fire, never mind a business, and wyou spent all those decades on the backbenches achieving the sum total of **** all!”

Remind me again of your business success?

Corbyn’s the leader of the largest political party in Europe. Who are you again?

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2016/04/six-months-jeremy-corbyn-already-one-historys-great-opposition-leaders

dazh

The Brexit/Trump vote was a vote/expression of rage against the establishment. its independent of political leanings.

It’s all just semantics. I agree that the definitions of left vs right are now less clear and that instead it’s about the ‘establishment’ vs ‘the people’, but the divisions can still be broadly described by left vs right, haves vs have nots, rich vs poor or whatever. The question I have though is if you think the establishment is the problem, why do you still cling to centrist labour party politicians like Andy Burnham as being the answer? Seems to me he and his ilk are the very personification of what you say people are against.

binners

Eh? Whats that got to do with owt?

I colour things in for a living. I’m not asking anyone to put me in charge of running the country.

I know my limits. These are usually ‘keep the felt tips inside the black lines’

Jeremy’s limits are sitting at the back of the room scowling and saying NO! to everything the grown ups suggest, and occasionally nipping out to get some excitable sixth formers all worked up with a bit of collective virtue signalling

Corbyn’s the leader of the largest political party in Europe.

and Coldplay are the biggest band in the world.

P-Jay
    Free Member

dazh – Member

The Brexit/Trump vote was a vote/expression of rage against the establishment. its independent of political leanings.

It’s all just semantics. I agree that the definitions of left vs right are now less clear and that instead it’s about the ‘establishment’ vs ‘the people’, but the divisions can still be broadly described by left vs right, haves vs have nots, rich vs poor or whatever. The question I have though is if you think the establishment is the problem, why do you still cling to centrist labour party politicians like Andy Burnham as being the answer? Seems to me he and his ilk are the very personification of what you say people are against.

Agreed, Trump is both Left and Right, rhetoric is very right, his policies mostly left – you could call him a populist, but is that such an insult for a public servant.

You would find a lot of people who share a lot of his opinions in any working man’s club 20 years ago, distrust of foreigners, distrust of the establishment, hatred of rich people avoiding tax. Anti-Globalisation, Pro Domestic Industry – jobs, jobs jobs rather than wealth, wealth, wealth.

The big question is whether it will work, can he really reverse a 30-40-year trend, he’s got a good chance IF he wants to, as, he’s as far as I can gather self-funded his appointment, he made no deals for funding, no favours to pay back – but the same can’t be said about the senate who need to ratify everything.

More importantly that all that though, on the face of it he seems a deeply unpleasant Man who will say and do anything to get what he wants, do we expect a Man who lies so easily, with such conviction to start being honest and fulfilling his promises? I doubt it, I can see a quick return to type, tax cuts and avoidance laws for people just like him, more globalisation as it’s more profitable, more suffering for the common man.

molgrips
    Free Member

The big question is whether it will work, can he really reverse a 30-40-year trend

Assuming what he said during the campaign is what he actually believes or wants to do. I am not sure he really gives a shit about poor disaffected middle class Americans now he’s had their vote.

binners

“Corbyn has never had a job”

Ah, I see you’ve been studying at the Jambalaya School of Historical Revisionism

If you can find me what ‘job’ he’s had outside politics, that’d be great please Fred? As looking into his background, there aren’t any references to any anywhere. Maybe someone has doctored his wiki page to remove all reference to his time spent as a welder in the Glasgow shipyards?

He’s a career politician. Just as much as Blair or Cameron.

And we all know how high a regard they are held in. Like I said, the idea he can present himself as a Trump like outsider is laughable. I know there is a lower level of proof required in the common room, where it can get a bit emotional with all those adolescent hormones bouncing around, but still….

cranberry
    Free Member

I have a lot of respect for those that try, even if eventually they don’t make it.

Far less for those who have never tried and don’t know what they are trying to make very cheap points about.

molgrips
    Free Member

If you can find me what ‘job’ he’s had outside politics, that’d be great please Fred?

Is being an MP not a job then? By all accounts he’s good at it.

binners

Good at it?

Are you basing that on his totally anonymous 3 decades on the backbenches, his becoming labour leader by mistake during a post-modern prank that went wrong, or taking labour into the electoral wilderness with the lowest poll ratings in their history?

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you basing that on his totally anonymous 3 decades on the backbenches

No, reports of how he represents his constituents. That’s what back-benchers are meant to do, after all.

clodhopper
    Free Member

“If you can find me what ‘job’ he’s had outside politics, that’d be great please Fred? “

I assume this is aimed at me, as you’ve quoted from my post.

Corbyn’s been a journalist, union official and political activist and campaigner. Not entirely sure why it’s essential for anyone to have had a wide range of jobs throughout their life, if they are dedicated to a particular vocation. You contradicted yourself when you said ‘Corbyn has never had a job, and has been an MP for 30 odd years’. Not only are you wrong, but you’re also dismissing the work he has actually done. Regardless of whether you value his work or not, it’s simply incorrect to say he’s ‘never had a job’.

“Eh? Whats that got to do with owt?”

You’re criticising someone who is not a businessman, for not running a business. That’s a bit like criticising someone who is not a bus driver, for the bus being late.

And you’re so dismissive of someone else’s efforts, when that person has achieved far more than you have in their lifetime.

“I have a lot of respect for those that try, even if eventually they don’t make it.”

Depends on their motives. Trump ‘tries’ to make lots of money for himself, and gain power to sate his massive ego. I have zero respect for that.

“Far less for those who have never tried and don’t know what they are trying to make very cheap points about.”

I agree. Hence my defence of Corbyn, with Binners. JC has worked bloody hard his entire career, to fight for better lives for others. To dismiss this as ‘never having had a proper job’ is just utterly disrespectful.

“Is being an MP not a job then? By all accounts he’s good at it.”

According to the many constituents of his I’ve met, he is very good indeed. Must be why they keep voting for him…

5thElefant
    Free Member

To dismiss this as ‘never having had a proper job’ is just utterly disrespectful.

How about ‘he utterly failed in achieving anything in his job’? 🙂

binners

Corbyn’s been a journalist, union official and political activist and campaigner.

He wrote a weekly column for the 12 readers of the Morning Star and waved some placards?

the point being made, and disputed here Fred is the idea of Corbs presenting himself as some Trump-esque outsider, stood with the common ‘blue-collar’ worker against the establishment?

What I’m sayingg is that, given his background as a lifelong Westminster insider, this is an absolutely laughable proposition

According to the many constituents of his I’ve met, he is very good indeed. Must be why they keep voting for him…

To be fair, you could paint a cows arse red in that constituency and it’d get elected

clodhopper
    Free Member

“the idea of Corbs presenting himself as some Trump-esque outsider, stood with the common ‘blue-collar’ worker against the establishment?”

I don’t think he is. He makes no pretence about being middle class. He’s not positioned himself as a ‘workers’ hero’ at all. I think he would describe himself as a ‘bleeding heart liberal’, if pushed on the subject. I think you’re thinking of Nigel Farage.

Do you have an issue with middle class people from privileged backgrounds, dedicating their work to helping others?

molgrips
    Free Member

the point being made, and disputed here Fred is the idea of Corbs presenting himself as some Trump-esque outsider

But most other people seem to consider him the outsider candidate. He’s been outside government all his life – how outside do you want him to be?

I have a lot of respect for those that try, even if eventually they don’t make it.

Like Corbyn is trying to make the country a better place? Even if he’s failing?

binners

From what I can see, he’s expended an awful lot of time and effort in keeping Jeremy Corbyn as the leader of the labour party, but as his casual, disinterested nonchalance during, and since the Referendum, its increasingly difficult to fathom to what end?

molgrips
    Free Member

From what I can see, he’s expended an awful lot of time and effort in keeping Jeremy Corbyn as the leader of the labour party

Because he believes in the democratic process, and he did have the most votes. If you’d won an election in a landslide, and then a few dozen people told you you were rubbish – what would you do?

It’s not cut and dried. I’m sure you’d be first in line to ridicule him for campaining, winning, then giving up. And what would his successor do with most of his party membership not wanting him?

Life is simple when all you have to do is rant on the internet.

binners

Because he believes in the democratic process, and he did have the most votes. If you’d won an election a popularity contest in the sixth form by a landslide, and then a few dozen people 80% of your parlimentary colleagues, and the entire the electorate told you you were rubbish – what would you do?

FTFY

molgrips
    Free Member

You’d really turn round to all those party members and say ‘sorry guys’ and then give up?

ransos
    Free Member

Because he believes in the democratic process, and he did have the most votes. If you’d won an election a popularity contest in the sixth form by a landslide, and then a few dozen people 80% of your colleagues, and the entire the electorate told you you were rubbish – what would you do?

He put his name forward to be leader of the labour party. The labour party voted for him, twice. If other members of the labour party don’t like it, they are free to leave.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@dazh tbh I thought Corbyn at least had something to say which made some sense, as for passionate delivery and energy he has never had that and he never will. It’s just not him

Is being an MP not a job then? By all accounts he’s good at it.

MP is a well paid and he has a £1.6m pension pot so I think that counts as a job. As for whether he is good at it I’d say by a minority of accounts he is good at it.

Trump wants to cut taxes, abolish free trade deal with Mexico, build a wall, deport millions, subject all muslims to intensive vetting pre visa and invest heavily in infrastructure. So the cross-over with Corbyn is pretty limited I’d say.

outofbreath
    Free Member

“So the cross-over with Corbyn is pretty limited I’d say.”

Trump’s whole economic policy is pure Corbynomics.

They’re both anti-trade deals, they’re both lukewarm on NATO, they’ve bothr successfully pitched themselves as anti-establishment outsiders. They’re part of the same wave of anti-liberal consensus backlash. Trump’s pretty much proved what Corbyn supporters have said – poll tell us nothing – if Trump can win so can Corbyn.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

the point being made, and disputed here Fred

Glad someone else is thinking that…..

jambalaya
    Free Member

if Trump can win so can Corbyn.

Well all I can say is please carry on with “the project” then

binners

if Trump can win so can Corbyn.

he really can’t

Trump was always within touching distance of Clinton, within a margin for error

Despite the best efforts of the Tory party to look like a bunch of clueless, incompetent buffoons, while handling the most important issue in this countries recent history, Corbyn trails them in all the polls by double digit percentages. And somewhat unbelievably his ratings are getting progressively worse!

Latest polls have Labour 16 points behind the Tory’s. That would be electoral armageddon if there were an election tomorrow

By anyones standards that is one hell of an achievement!

johnx2
    Free Member

They’re both anti-trade deals, they’re both lukewarm on NATO, they’ve bothr successfully pitched themselves as anti-establishment outsiders. They’re part of the same wave of anti-liberal consensus backlash. Trump’s pretty much proved what Corbyn supporters have said – poll tell us nothing

And a sixth point: alongside the brexit vote they both make me question my grip on reality. I mean **** it, I’ve been wrong about everything else, maybe the useless old poser can get elected?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Corbyn and Labour trail the Tories by miles and the Tory party haven’t even been attacking him/them. The Tories are very happy with what Corbyn is doing and they are letting him get on with it. Just imagine the carnage of an election campaign.

Corbyn is nothing like Trump. Trump isn’t anti-NATO (or pro nuckear diasrmament) he wants the other members to spend more money on defence and/or compensate the US directly. Corbyn offically campaigned Remain, you won’t catch Trump doing the EU any favours nor Mexico.

The anti-establishment vote in UK has been for Brexit and NOT for more EU and the Marxism espoused by Corbyn and McDonald.

binners

Its just been on Five Live that Jezza is going to make a speech this afternoon. He might possibly have remembered he’s actually meant to be the leader of the opposition? Who knows?

Anyway…. the subject of the Speech? Comparing Donald Trump to the Tories.

Dear god! If ever you needed any evidence that the bloke is still mired in the left/right politics of the 70’s/80’s then this is it. FFS! He’s ****ing clueless. This demonstrates, along with his muddled, ambivalent attitude to the Brexit vote, that he clearly has not the slightest comprehension about the forces at work, and the new dangerous populist politics that are so rapidly taking shape.

The MP’s he’s trying to get de-selected are the northern ones who are starting belatedly to get a handle on why their former voters have now moved, en masse, to UKIP. Why they’re angry. And why they feel the labour party doesn’t even understand, let alone care about their concerns. He wants to replace them with liberal, lefty, Islington-friendly versions of himself.

If he succeeds in doing this, then he may achieve what no Labour leader has managed, and lose absolutely rock-solid northern, Labour seats to the Tories or UKIP

jambalaya
    Free Member

Yes heard about this. What JC needs to understand is that “these people” have been voting UKIP in Labour constituencies, that was the warning to Labour and they ignored it. Deselecting moderate Labour MPs will move the party in the opposite direction to these voters wishes. He is right to identify the issue what he has failed to grasp is the solution they seek is not the one he has been supporting.

yunki
    Free Member

people will have learned from the mistake of choosing Clinton over Sanders and ending up with Trump

Corbyn’s never been in a stronger position..

Sorry breadheads and fascists and the fearful and forlorn and other foolish types, but as I’ve said before.. your beloved mafia’s grip on society is crumbling.. The oldboy networks and their obnoxious and condescending schemes are no longer enough to fool the children of the revolution

dazh

The MP’s he’s trying to get de-selected are the northern ones who are starting belatedly to get a handle on why their former voters have now moved, en masse, to UKIP.

Are they? From where I’m standing all they’re offering is more of the same ‘party of aspiration’ rubbish with a bit of added anti-immigrant nonsense. That’s if they can bring themselves to actually talk about policies, rather than harping on about trots and marxists who don’t exist.

kerley
    Free Member

the solution they seek

what is the solution they seek?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Morning Yunki.

Saunders would have fared worse, Democrats knew that which is why Clinton was their overwhelming choice as deeply flawed as she was.

Corbyn is certainly in a strong position within Labour, his and Momentum’s Stalinist purge is alive and well. Our point is the stronger he is the weaker Labour will be electorally by 2020. As and when the Tories turn their attention to Labour in terms of a general election it’s going to be carnage for them.

added anti-immigrant nonsense

You are right in saying that’s not enough to win them back. What Diane Abbot et all showed is ignoring the issue cost a lot of votes

yunki
    Free Member

naaaaaaaah

you wish that were true as it would make reality more palatable for you..

but it ain’t

kerley
    Free Member

You are right in saying that’s not enough to win them back

So how do you win back people who believe immigration is an issue and the answer is to stop it if you know that immigration is not an issue and it would be silly to stop it – do you just lie about it?

jambalaya
    Free Member

Kerly the issue is (was) uncontrolled immigration in UK (vs illegal immigration is the US) with a better argument and evidence as to why it’s not bad for those people. Pointing to national GDP is not a good answer for someone with a poor job and undermined wages. All Labour have done is blame the Tories and skated over the fact that we had a Labour government from 1997-2010 who introduced the minimum wage and what did they do for these voters who have now turned to UKIP ?

Mefty posted this in the EU thread but it’s just as relevant here. IMHO it’s well worth the time to read

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2016/11/closing-liberal-mind

dazh

So how do you win back people who believe immigration is an issue and the answer is to stop it if you know that immigration is not an issue and it would be silly to stop it – do you just lie about it?

You don’t need to lie. The thing with immigration is that most people who are against it are not racists. They don’t take much convincing that it’s not an issue if done in the right way. You do however have to address the other reasons for their discontent, which is an economic system which is rigged against them in favour of the rich and the corporate establishment. To date the labour party has not been doing this (it’s starting to though), which leaves a vacuum which allows UKIP and the tories to blame immigrants.

kerley
    Free Member

Kerly the issue is (was) uncontrolled immigration in UK

I am talking about real issues not made up ones. So how do you convince them, and you, that immigration is not the issue for their problems? What can be said to you/them that they will believe and understand.

What if they/you don’t want to believe it and would rather comfort yourselves that it is the immigrants fault whatever anyone says?

dazh

Actually the easiest way to show people that immigrants are not the devils portrayed by UKIP et al is to get them talking to each other. Do that an people quickly realise that they are no different to themselves.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Actually the easiest way to show people that immigrants are not the devils portrayed by UKIP et al is to get them talking to each other. Do that an people quickly realise that they are no different to themselves.

To us wealthy types immigrants are an opportunity to make more money and spend less of it. At the other end of the scale immigrants are competition.

Now try to convince people concerned about immigration that it’s not a problem. Race is a complete red herring. A bit obvious when the immigrants they want to control are predominantly white and culturally christian.

Viewing 40 posts - 11,121 through 11,160 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.