Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 21,377 total)
  • Jeremy Corbyn
  • ernie_lynch
    Free Member

he will be on the ballot as long as he wants to be.

I have no idea what that means.

konabunny
    Free Member

Well I kind of think it is a relatively remote contingency and not sufficient to take into account but worth noting as an assumption.

It’s not that remote. John Smith died suddenly in (party) office and Tony Blair was elected (party) leader.

Nah, they should probably do a poll of crims in the hood they can count on in a rumble. It’s the modern way.

“we believe there at least fifty people irate about the phrase ‘moderate forces’ who are not waving machetes, and so we propose to provide them with portable missile launchers and light weapons so they can eliminate the machete waver”

Junkyard
    Free Member

t would consign hard left politics to the dustbin for decades.

He is not Blair

molgrips
    Free Member

that’s why I was so keen for Corbyn to have a crack at being leader as I thought it would consign hard left politics to the dustbin for decades.

Since when is Corbyn hard left?

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s funny how not bombing people is “hard left politics” when it’s from the Labour Party but not when it’s from the SNP.

Isn’t it? But as for supporting dictators and terrorists, thats an odd comment what with other party leaders doing deals in deserts, fawning over Pinochet and backing the ‘less bad’ side in former wars that lead us to where we are today. Al-Megrahi may or may not have committed the crime but it’s fair to say that Pinochet, Hussein, and Gadaffi killed many times more people under their watches but still got a free break to do as they pleased so long as their money came our way.

ransos
    Free Member

Since when is Corbyn hard left?

Well, quite. His politics are entirely mainstream from a German or Scandinavian perspective.

duckman

Zulu 11 took a sip from his Oswold Mosely commerative mug and farted out “Well, we already know their attitude to fascists and terrorists:”

Yup, they don’t support the motion to bomb Syria.Would that be the same SNP that are so cosy with Trump that they allowed the building of a windfarm offshore despite Trump trying to force them to stop,or a different SNP?
    Oh; and Desmond Tutu and Nelson Mandela both endorsed the release,I will take that over Donald Trump any day.

mefty
    Free Member

he will be on the ballot as long as he wants to be.

I have no idea what that means.

It is based on this analysis of the Labour leadership election rules which seems pretty sound.

mefty
    Free Member

It’s not that remote. John Smith died suddenly in (party) office and Tony Blair was elected (party) leader.

John Smith had a history of heart disease, but I suggest we leave it at that as frankly the whole discussion could become rather ghoulish.

molgrips
    Free Member

How do John Smith’s politics compare to Corbyn? I was a bit young to be paying attention back then.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Well, quite. His politics are entirely mainstream from a German or Scandinavian perspective.

Really ?? Corbyn is to the left of Hollande who is Europe’s most left leaning leader. Corbyn is far to tye left of Merkel.

Today’s result in Oldham could prove pivotal as to Corbyns future, its unlilley UKIP will win but if they do following so quickly after yesterdays defeat could be the beginning of the end for Corbyn

ransos
    Free Member

Really ?? Corbyn is to the left of Hollande who is Europe’s most left leaning leader. Corbyn is far to tye left of Merkel.

Yes, that will be why France & Germany have a long-hours culture, poor pensions, low benefits, low taxation and privatised state infrastructure.

Oh.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

It is based on this analysis of the Labour leadership election rules which seems pretty sound.

I still don’t understand what you mean by “he will be on the ballot as long as he wants to be”.

What “ballot”?

mefty
    Free Member

What “ballot”?

The hypothetical one that would result from the PLP trying to unseat him as leader.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well I have never doubted that it wouldn’t be easy for the Blairite right-wing to remove Corbyn. My point, which you appear to be ignoring, is that should anything happen to Corbyn control of the Labour Party would immediately and irreversibly revert back into the hands of the right-wing. It is they who would dictate who was on the ballot paper for the next leader – there have been no rule changes.

All of which doesn’t sit very comfortably with your claim that “The Left has control at pretty much every level”.

AlexSimon

is that should anything happen to Corbyn control of the Labour Party

You mean something other than him being challenged for leader?
    The article mefty posted, suggests that he would automatically be on the ballot as current leader.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

You mean ……

Yeah you need to read back to yesterday’s posts Alex to understand what I mean.

dragon
    Free Member

“The Left has control at pretty much every level”

Except the average age of Corbyn, Livingston, Abbot and McDonnell is over 60 now, let alone the next GC.

If Labour want to get anywhere they need some younger people from outside London with ideas, not old folk in their London commie luvvie bubble.

ninfan
    Free Member

should anything happen to Corbyn

Remember what happened to the last few men with beards who tried to stop us going to war:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Cook
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Kelly_(weapons_expert)

Makes you think eh 😉

just5minutes
    Free Member

Yes, that will be why France & Germany have a long-hours culture, poor pensions, low benefits, low taxation and privatised state infrastructure.

Oh.

Erm – 30% of employees in East Germany were earning less than the minimum wage in 2014. 36% of all germans working in hospitality earned less than the minimum wage, and 44% pf germans working in Agriculture. The minimum wage there is €8.50 an hour.

I guess these people will marvel at the utopia in which they apparently live.

Oh.

AlexSimon

ok – I understand now. I see that point. The left are not in control of the PLP and the PLP decide the nominations for leader in the event of a vacancy.
    I agree.

ransos
    Free Member

Erm – 30% of employees in East Germany were earning less than the minimum wage in 2014. 36% of all germans working in hospitality earned less than the minimum wage, and 44% pf germans working in Agriculture. The minimum wage there is €8.50 an hour.

I guess these people will marvel at the utopia in which they apparently live.

Oh.

So you’re telling us that the former GDR is relatively poor? Do you have any other startling revelations you’d care to share with us?

breatheeasy
    Free Member

I know people are praising JC for having principles and allowing a free vote, but surely if you feel so badly against something (and I presume he does because of the Stop The War involvement) that when you’re now the leader of the opposition you must think this is your real chance to make a positive stand?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

when you’re now the leader of the opposition you must think this is your real chance to make a positive stand?

Well I can’t recall such an intense debate and interest with regards to whether or not to bomb since the prelude to the Iraq War. Certainly there wasn’t quite the same level of interest and debate concerning the previous votes on bombing Syria or Libya.

So it would appear the Corbyn’s leadership has indeed affected the level of debate and interest.

Intimately the powers he has to force Labour MPs vote according to his instructions are limited. I think the fact that the overwhelming majority of Labour MPs backed his position reflects well on him.

Specially when you consider Labour’s shameful recent past record of rushing hastily into war.

mefty
    Free Member

My point, which you appear to be ignoring, is that should anything happen to Corbyn control of the Labour Party would immediately and irreversibly revert back into the hands of the right-wing.

I haven’t ignored it I agreed with it as follows:

But your analysis is right, you need him to stay on unto the election when with boundary changes etc you should have enough Mps to get a left winger on the ballot.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well if we both agree then I have absolutely no idea what we’re arguing about.

If you have any pointers I would be grateful.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Well I can’t recall such an intense debate and interest with regards to whether or not to bomb since the prelude to the Iraq War. Certainly there wasn’t quite the same level of interest and debate concerning the previous votes on bombing Syria or Libya.

I do like your answer ernie. Thank you.

Do you think the debate has been so intense/interested only because the press feel the sharks are circling JC

mefty
    Free Member

Well if we both agree then I have absolutely no idea what we’re arguing about.

I think we are disagreeing about what we are not arguing about – is that helpful?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Well it’s clear that Corbyn’s enemies have used the issue to attack him with. It’s also clear that Corbyn has used the opportunity to offer an alternative to the usual knee-jerk “let’s bomb a foreign country” response, with some success – although obviously not complete success.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I think we are disagreeing about what we are not arguing about – is that helpful?

Not particularly. I really need something more specific.

dazh

Well it’s clear that Corbyn’s enemies have used the issue to attack him with.

As if any further evidence were needed….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

According to the Daily Telegraph as a result of the “rapturous applause” Hilary Benn received from Tory MPs he is now tipped to be the next leader of the Labour Party.

Sounds about right – all he needs now is Rupert Murdoch’s blessing.

jambalaya
    Free Member

One key difference is that in Iraq we received a request from the government. In Syria the Russians received the same from the government, the other countries have not so its more complex

AlexSimon

I’m hoping that this is all part of an elaborate plan.
    Jeremy and Hillary have conspired to make a leader who is accepted by all sides and wins GE in 2020. Then implements his fathers policies.

Genius!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Interesting that a bloke can be simultaneously so right and yet so wrong – fine as a backbencher, but not so good as a leader of the opposition.

We need effective opposition and that starts at the top – sadly missing right now

Junkyard
    Free Member

Odd as normally you have such good words to say about the opposition be it labour of the SNP.
    I wonder what this “left wing firebrand” has done to upset you?

I still thinks its reasonable to criticise him but its pretty pointless discussing it with those who will criticise him irrespective of policy decision

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

THM was a big fan of Ed Miliband and Gordon Brown, he feels badly let down by Jeremy Corbyn.

I wouldn’t be surprised if THM was so disappointed that he ends up abandoning Labour and voting Tory instead.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Unsurprisingly, Ernie, wrong again. Never mind.

FWIW, I am with the leader of the opposition on not bombing Syria.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Unsurprisingly, Ernie, wrong again. Never mind.

You mean that you’ve never been a supporter of any Labour leader and have always voted Tory???

I can’t believe I got that wrong!!!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I can – its a well-documented habit

Viewing 40 posts - 4,001 through 4,040 (of 21,377 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.