Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • JensonUSA – Are there import fees to pay?
  • Daffy

Or do they have a European hub?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Yep import tax, handling and vat on the lot

kimbers

Yes it adds up quite a bit

glimpse into the future of buying from the EU soon too

postierich
    Free Member

Yep been stung by Fed Ex about 3 yrs ago

Daffy

Fair enough. Well, It’ll have to be them or Aspire Velotech as there doesn’t seem to be a UK stockist of Chris King Boost Hubs…not for less than £290 for a front anyway.

scotroutes
    frankconway

US price plus 4.7% import duty then 20% vat on total.
    So $100 purchase price will then become $125.64.
    Base price plus 25.64%.
    As scotroutes says – bike24; also check the other tried & tested european companies so rose, canyon, bike discount, bike boutique (holland); there are others.

cornholio98
    Free Member

You also get charged on the shipping. I guess to stop the trick of giving the item a tiny value but boosting the shipping cost to compensate.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

US price plus 4.7% import duty then 20% vat on total.
    So $100 purchase price will then become $125.64.
    Base price plus 25.64%.

+ handling fee for collecting the duty. The Royal Mail is cheapest and may even forget to collect the duty if the package is small enough and sent via USPS 1st class, which is actually quite quick too – 3-4 days being usual.

bgascoyne
    Free Member

if you know anyone in the US get it sent to them and they can then send it as a “gift”…no import duty then 🙂

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

I had a rear ck axle sent over from aspire in Portland I wasn’t charged any duty etc but it was a fairly small package and of a lot less value than a hub

Daffy

Thanks for the feedback Fellas. I ordered from Aspire in the end. £175 shipped. Even if there’s import fees to pay it’ll be cheaper than the others.

M

mikewsmith
    Free Member

they can then send it as a “gift”…no import duty then

Nope duty is payable on gifts too.

odsbodkins
    Free Member

Seems to be you always get clobbered for import tax when ordering stuff from the US, new stuff and eBay etc alike. Only way to avoid is to know someone who travels there, and has a large suitcase, and get them to bring it back for you, or tie in buying stuff yourself with a US holiday!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Only way to avoid is to know someone who travels there,

Ah good old tax evasion…

ScottChegg
    Free Member

The worst bit is when the Post Office sit on it for 2 weeks before doing anything, when you are desparate for a part.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘JensonUSA – Are there import fees to pay?’ is closed to new replies.