Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Jeffsy -the advertising, and the STW opinion piece.
  • vinnyeh

I’m genuinely struggling to see how this campaign can be labelled sexist. Can somebody please explain to me in words of one syllable why there is an issue here?

The maxxis and sixsixone advertising, I get that, but I can’t see how this is demeaning to women- this is just a rehash of the age old “my partner/friend/cat has found a new plaything and i can’t command their attention” trope. Nothing to do with sexism- the only charge I can think of is that the creators of the ad have recycled a rather tired idea.

andyrm
    Free Member

Cheap clickbait to try and leverage a recent trend in articles for the perennially offended.

Never mind the irony of the comments the author makes objectifying the man. OMGZ shock horror someone found someone visually attractive!!! If a male author said that about a female, this same writer would be all over it like a rash for being a “sexist, objectifying, unreconstructed brute” or something.

Bore off. Find some actual news, or report on some good news and empowering stories for International Womens’ day, rather than spreading bad vibes.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Haven’t bothered watching either vid but have seen quite a few tweets in relation to #jeffsy and #IWD. I suspect that YT’s work here is done, ie a ‘sexist or not’ marketing campaign off the back of the Maxxis and 661 fuss which has got folks talking.

fin25
    Free Member

Good article, makes a good point.
    andyrm, the comments about the good looking guy are sarcastic.

chakaping
    Free Member

I do understand why women might not like the advert.

Not sure about the tone of the column, but as a white middle-aged male I’m probably not privileged to have an opinion on that.

ads678

Seems to me that some people just want to be offended!

kimbers

Good post for international women’s day

The YT advert seems deliberately controversial in light of recent as campaigns, not the same as the objectification of maxxis,661 but does seem to be aimed entirely at men, ignoring the fact that women like MTBs too !

Meanwhile

Out of 889 women asked, 64% said they had experienced some form of sexual harassment, with 35% saying they had suffered “unwanted sexual touching”.

The survey suggested that, of those who suffered unwanted sexual attention, more than a quarter were under 16 the first time it happened, and more than 75% were under 21

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-35753198

Meant to post this on the other threads..
    [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5J31AT7viqo[/video]

scaredypants

who’s to say there isn’t another version on the way with the roles reversed

in fact, after all this shit I’m betting the house on it

That advert is shit, not sexist

(as far as I know; tried twice, got halfway)

Rubber_Buccaneer

Cringeworthy advert but I don’t see the sexism either. I’m also betting on a role reversal for the next instalment but only 20p not the house. I hope Jeffsy is pretty special after the build up

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Arrrrr the plebs bobbing for turds. The marketing men love it!

I’ve not even clicked on it, just someone selling something as usual, no curiosity here!

sirromj

Opinion piece quite funny, advert too cringey to watch.

Drac

Must admit I don’t see it either just a horrible cheesy advert. It’s certainly a lot less sexist than “mums you’re doing great and Dad’s can’t look after babies” ads that seem Ok.

fin25
    Free Member

It’s certainly a lot less sexist than “mums you’re doing great and Dad’s can’t look after babies” ads that seem Ok.

I my world, they’re both as bad as each other, both sexist, neither OK.

ninfan
    Free Member

@kimbers video just made me think of:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuJL2g6xd2E[/video]

mrhoppy

It’s a stormy teacup for sure.

It’s sexist to suggest that all women think the same, unless you’re generalising a complaint that something is sexist. It’s her that hates JEFFSY not women in general, just because one does don’t mean all will. She hates it for the impact it’s had on her life doesn’t say it’s not for women.

It’s also disingenuous to suggest that it is alienating 50% of their market, as women make up a smaller % of the mtb market than the general population.

It’s a crap and lazy marketing approach but I think it stretches the definition of sexist. But then I’m male and my viewpoint may be skewed.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I could watch her the ad all day.

Sexist? God no! Great ad. Not the best but it did get me googling Jeffsy.

edit: just been informed that the guy is “pretty watchable” too… Obviously told her that was an incredible offensive thing to say and that men aren’t objects.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Jeffsy -the advertising, and the STW opinion piece.’ is closed to new replies.