Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Jeffsy, Spectral and Bird Aeris owners…
  • rascal
    Free Member

Really cheeky I know but I really need to sling my leg over a large in either/all ASAP if poss.
    I have put down a deposit on a Whyte T130s today after a quick spin but have nothing to compare it to.
    I totally understand if you’re reluctant to give a stranger a go on your bike though so no worries (check my history) – you can email if you’d prefer. I need to commit to the Whyte by next weekend so tomorrow realistically best bet.
    Just out of interest, have you had any issues buying direct? Thanks

Poopscoop

Where are you based? Lol

rascal
    Free Member

Oh yeah 🙄 East Mids (Loughborough)

Poopscoop

Sorry mate, I’m in Kent. 🙁

rascal
    Free Member

No worries Mr Poop – thanks.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I’ve got a Large Aeris but I’m in Surrey.. They’re great though, not that that helps you!

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I’ve a spectral but W Yorks, I’m 510 1/2 and it fits fine

joebristol

Afraid I’m in Bristol and it’s only a ML Aeris I’ve got. I’m 5’9 and have bags of stand over clearance and plenty of stretch in the reach.

Just to say it’s extremely awesome.

jruk
    Free Member

Here’s a better / faster / easier option: phone Bird, give them your measurements, tell them what you like to ride, order the size they recommend. You won’t regret it.

joemmo
    Free Member

ML Aeris one20 … in Northumberland, which is no use to you whatsoever.
    However I’ll try and be a bit more helpful.

I’m sure you’d love the Whyte, they don’t get such good reviews for no reason, likewise the Jeffsy. I tried a T-130 but wasn’t able to test the YT or Canyon. I was also less sure about the Spectral as it doesn’t seem to get quite such positive write ups and discounted it after a friend’s poor experience with Canyon.

As far as the Bird goes, my experience buying direct has been very good so far. Very helpful guys on the phone helped work out sizing and build and the bike took about 3 weeks to come, partly because I specced wheels that were not in stock. It arrived in 2 boxes and just needed the bars and wheels attaching. In terms of service, a few weeks later I had a problem with the freehub and had to return the wheel to Bird for inspection – obviously a bit of a hassle but they arranged for a courier pickup, sorted the issue and returned the wheel in a week. Pretty good all told, don’t know how the othe direct brands compare.

The T-130 is a pretty close competitor to the Aeris 120, similar geometry and sizing. For the £2.5k for the Whyte you could get a 120 with GX 12 speed, the rest of spec is similar but you’re getting Race Face kit and DT wheels in place of Whyte’s own-brand.

FTR I’m 5’10” and the ML is a good fit with a 150mm dropper

benpinnick

Which aeris are you after? Im on my way back up north Monday and could possibly stick one in the van for you. Would mean a trip up the M1/A1 to Hamsterley though… I can think of worse ways to spend a day mind.

leythervegas
    Free Member

I’ve had a Spectral and now have an Aeris 120. Much prefer the Aeris. Joemmo said it best, spec better on the Bird. Also you don’t get offers like Ben’s from any other manufacturer. (Bar maybe Cotic) They are outstanding and the piece of mind it gives you as an owner is priceless.

rascal
    Free Member

Thanks all – I have found someone near Cannock willing to let me have a go on the chase later so that worked out well.
    Ben – I will call Bird later when I’ve had a good look at the site. I can’t get to Hamsterley tomorrow but if you’re passing Lutterworth en route…;-) I’ll be looking at the 145 in a large (6′).
    I like the T130s I tried yesterday but I’m thinking if I spend more now and get ‘nicer’ bits on it I’ll be less likely to change bits along the way, which I know I’ll do…hence the hesitation buying the T130s.
    Still looking to sling my leg over a Jeffsy but they are like rocking horse shit it seems…

rascal
    Free Member

Tried a large carbon Spectral around Cannock Chase for an hour or so today.
    Found it a little short in the reach with a 50mm stem. Pushed seat back a touch which helped a little and maybe a longer stem would help too but that could affect handling. Not looked at the numbers and angles but at 6′ and normally proportioned I can’t imagine I’ll need a medium or XL…anyone else find this?
    Great on descents with the Pike up front. CCDB inline shock on back was soft but more air sorted that easily enough…nice but not a ‘OMFG I must have one’ experience 😕

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Jeffsy, Spectral and Bird Aeris owners…’ is closed to new replies.