Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Jeffsy owners or demo-ers; am I mad?
  • wrecker
    Free Member

I have not ridden a 29er I like, but that was a few years ago. Needless to say, I have never owned one.
    Yet here I am looking at the YT site, and reading up on the Jeffsy. That red 😳
    For sure the angles are very different to the earlier 29ers I tried, and there is a lot of talk saying that they have now got them right.
    Are they? Considering that there is no real possiblility of a demo, am I mad even considering the Jeffsy?
    There just aren’t any 140 650b bikes around (I have a trance and it’s very good, but I would like teh carbonz again) 160 would be great for 10-20% of my riding and 120-130 will come up a little short on that 10-20%.
    Would I die, I mean regret it?

wrecker
    Free Member

anyone?

chestrockwell

Don’t know about the Jeffsey but my modern 140mm 29er is ace.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Northwind

(I haven’t ridden a Jeffsy, but in the absence of anyone who has)

TBH the hype is pretty ridiculous, 29ers have been sorted for a few years now… People who should know better talk about the Jeffsy as if it’s some step forwards, in reality it’s a bit less progressive and cutting edge than my 2013 Remedy 29. On numbers alone it looks decent enough but small, something they seem to have realised- I’m 5’10 but they’d recommend me a large, which is weird. (I upsized on the Remedy too but again, 2013 bike)

If you’re “big honkin 29er” curious rather than specifically after a Jeffsy, you might find it easier to get a testride on a Remedy, Enduro or even a Stumpy, or a Mega 290, or a Trailfox via Evans.

CheesybeanZ

There’s a Jeffsy thread on pink bike , I keep looking at the carbon one in blue . I fancy a change from my codeine and the jeff looks good for the money .

wrecker
    Free Member

Thanks. I’m not a spesh dude, and TBH the jeffsy value knocks the remedy and almost everything else out of the park. I sold a trailfox which I happened to obtain, the thing weighed a ton.
    For £3800 with full fox factory, SRAm 11spd, DT carbonz etc, it ticks all of my preference boxes. I’m just not sure if I’ll take to it.

Northwind

The alu trailfox weighs as much a car 😆 And yep the Remedy is shit value, especially now that there’s no alu version. I waited a long time to get a used one at a price I could deal with but it is fantastic.

Don’t rule out the Mega though, it’s a bigger bike in pretty much every way but I was impressed with its manners on easier stuff, you could knock out trail centre laps or go downhill racing and it’ll eat it up. Bloody good. And seemed light, considering it’s aluminium and massive (the XL Jeffsey is pretty much the same size as the medium Mega!)

wrecker
    Free Member

The alu trailfox weighs as much a car

Tell me about it! I nearly put my back out lifting a large! Quite a pretty and well thought out bike tough. I was impressed with the little touches.
    The mega ain’t doing it for me. I’d sooner dig deeper and get a hightower.

partickbateman
    Free Member

You might be able to get a go on a Jeffsy… join the “YT Industries UK” group on Facebook and ask on there. I’m a member and it’s not uncommon, and lots of people are prepared to let someone have a go on their one.

I know a couple of people that have Jeffsy’s and they seem to love them. I prefer my Capra (on paper, as I’ve not ridden a Jeffsy), it’s a beast.

One of our group has a Mega and every time I see it, I get bike envy – even riding my fairly new carbon Capra. It looks really well in proportion, super burly and it seems mega quick (but that could just be the rider)

jayx2a
    Free Member

Im considering a Jeffsy (entry lvl AL) but still not 100% on a 29er.

I keep toying between the Jeff and sticking with 650b and getting the remedy 8 which is same price.

Both have pikes, decent rear fork but the Jeff is 2×10 SLX and the Trek 1×11 GX.

I need to get my head round it asap as need new wheels!

wrecker
    Free Member

If YT had a similarly specced 650b 140 rear/150 front, perhaps slightly longer, I’d have just ordered it. But I am 29 curious, and it would suit the majority of the riding I do now. It may well be that a 29er is more suitable than a 650 bike for me anyway. I’ve dropped YT a line and they want to call me, we’ll see what happens. I’ll join the FB group too, thanks for that Patrick.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did you like how the Trailfox rode?

Personally I think I’d want big wheels for all but 160mm+

I had a 130mm/150mm 29er that was not a world away from the Jeffsy geometry and it was awesome. Said this before, but it’s a good job the Jeffsy’s too short for me!

Euro
    Free Member

The Jeffsy was on my shortlist initially but was removed quick fast when i saw the sizing chart (I guess YT doesn’t stand for Your Tall). I went for the Rocket Max (140mm) in the end and it’s fantastic. Not as blingy as the YT stuff but the spec is very well thought out and the XL fits me! I’m a recent 29er convert and bought it blind – no test rides or write ups and no regrets. Just faster everywhere without any extra effort.

wrecker
    Free Member

Did you like how the Trailfox rode?

Never rode it, sold it as brand new (I won it in a competition!)

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Jeffsy owners or demo-ers; am I mad?’ is closed to new replies.