Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • jeeeezuz – DT 5.1D rims !
  • the_lecht_rocks

tyres onto DT5.1D's ! almost fukkn impossible………..why ?

coatesy
    Free Member

Technique? Try starting opposite the valve, it'll allow more slack in the tyre than starting at the valve.

DT78
    Free Member

Had a nightmare with 2.5 dual ply maxxis. Make sure the bead is in the centre of the rim made it a bit easier. I ended up using metal levers.

uplink
    Free Member

I usually stick the tyres in a bucket of hot soapy water for 10 mins or so first

Taz

Same as DT78 with a wire bead dual ply Maxxis.

Other tyres have been ok, though certainly not as easy as other rims

the_lecht_rocks

ab-so-bloody-awful tbh…….
    i should have known better as i now have 4 wheels using DT 5.1D's but they just crept up on me 🙁

mrh86

I just got some ex500s (replacements for 5.1s appartently), and compared to my old 4.2ds its much harder to get tyres on.

the_lecht_rocks

the ex500's are basically a re-badged 5.1D……….. 🙁

doug_basqueMTB.com

I put a new HR 2.5 dual ply DH tyre onto a DT Swiss FR2350 rim yesterday without any blood or wrecking any inner tubes. First time ever!

Phoned a mate to tell him 'cos I was so chuffed and he said "yeah but what have you done on grit?" 🙂

Soap + metal tyre levers + make sure bead is in middle + start opposite valve + absolutely no air in tubes etc etc. Do it all the same way every time and normally it makes no difference. Single ply tyres normally go on comparatively easily though if that's any help.

the_lecht_rocks

ok – tomorrow i get out the soap……..assume fairy liquid will do it ? booooo hoooooo…….

DrP

I once got so angry with a pair of 5.1s and the tyres, that I took a stanley knife to the tyre!
    That's not good is it – anger management issues ahoy!!

DrP

trailmonkey

soapy water might do the trick but what you gonna do if you have a flat on the trail ? I've got DT540s and they're a nightmare with any wirebead tyres. only use folders with them now.

the_lecht_rocks

trailmonkey – Member

soapy water might do the trick but what you gonna do if you have a flat on the trail ?

2nd set are tight as ! but that's on my pub bike 😀
    1st set aren't too bad on maxxis ardents.

scaredypants

my 6 yr old daughter is available to help you after 2 tomorrow if anyone's still struggling 🙄

( 😉 )

DrP

!!!

Were I not on the receiving end of these demon rings I'd hold the same "how jey are your fingers" thoughts, but mark my words these rims are bastids through and through!

DrP

scaredypants

mate of mine has a hybrid with bontrager rims & tyres – I'm sure the tyres are really 26 inch just rebadged

the_lecht_rocks

as drp says – these rims belonged to the 666 devil 👿

Christowkid
    Free Member

I struggle too – just took off Spesh Captains and put on Spesh Storm Controls for the forthcoming deluges…..
    ….and i struggled!
    Have had to change inner on trail and as TM says, it's a nightmare!
    Q

backhander
    Free Member

It can lead to some colourful language on the trail when you only have plastic levers…….

GW
    Free Member

you're having trouble as DT rims have a very shallow well and it's slightly more difficult to get the bead to sit in the centre to allow enough slack to remove/fit them.. fitting tight tyres is 99% technique I can get Maxxis DH tyres on and off 5.1s with my bare hands pretty easily…

a couple of wee tips tho – remove your rim strip and replace with 2 wraps of thin electrical tape – it's thinner and won't move so makes the whole thing heaps easier. Also squeeze every last drop of air out the inner tube before you start (removing and fitting).

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Me and a mate managed to get a new Kenda Kinetics 2.35 onto a 5.1 rim by hand recently. Quite easy tbh.

mikey74
    Free Member

Try putting Maxxis DH Dual Ply Minions on Sun Singletracks – now that is pain.

GW
    Free Member

it took two of you? 😕

TheLittlestHobo
    Free Member

Yeah, ever tried changing a tyre on a 5.1 whilst holding your own beer? Difficult

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘jeeeezuz – DT 5.1D rims !’ is closed to new replies.