Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • jeans for cyclists (not for riding in)?
  • rOcKeTdOg

So I have trouble finding jeans that fit, if I buy a pair that fit over my thighs the waist is two sizes too big, if I get the right waist size I can’t get them over my quads and end up with baggy crotch syndrome
    Are there any to fit a cyclist physique? I don’t need the rapha/swrve type with reinforcement for sitting in a saddle etc

yunki
    Free Member

what you gotsta do son.. is stop trying to dress like a teenaged hipster, and strut your gangster steez..

samuri
    Free Member

No. Age old problem for cyclists IME.
    I have to wear a belt with all my jeans because the only ones that will fit my legs properly have a waist I could get someone else into.

try ‘comfort’ fit, they usually work best.

joshvegas
    Free Member

Levi commuters?

Does it matter if you have a gusseted section its just a better way to build jeans which have dirty great seams rubbing against each other anyway?

billytinkle
    Free Member

I got a pair of Levi something or others from TK Max a while ago and they have a bit of stretch here and there – most comfortable jeans I’ve ever had. Can’t remember the number on them, but will have a look after work.

sc-xc

Same problem here. Diesel and G star do understated (i.e. not ripped/distressed) jeans in their loose ranges that fit nicely.

kinda666
    Free Member

I usually get mine from Next, I’m a 36S with large thighs, have to take several pairs to the changing rooms but always come away with a few pairs..

mrblobby
    Free Member

Levi 501 are a waste of time for me. Rubbish fit for big things and I always seem to wear a hole on the inner thigh area within a few weeks. Picked up a couple of pairs of Firetrap regular fit jeans a few months ago and they seem to be much better so far. Diesel have been ok in the past too.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

you could try some climbing jeans, made by moon and alpkit or prana, they usually have extra material and also stretch denim for climbing whilst still looking, trying to look, cool.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Edwin ED-55, ED-39 or Nashville in selvage denim. They do a fit guide so you can pick a higher rise (waist height) to suit, these are not hipster jeans for showing your Calvin’s but mid-heavyweight Japanese selvage denim.
    Albam do a similar cut too. As do naked and famous and nudie but I can’t remember the model name.
    Ande Whall or Roy if you feel like splashing the cash.

nbt

Same here, I got some Pierre Cardin jeans from TK Maxx and they were so cnie I got the same again in black. The blue jeans wore out last month (hole on the inner thigh) but I just picked up the same pair again last week – they new ones are 3% lycra so slightly stretchy too

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What you playing at wearing jeans on your waist? You wear em on your hips, how else is anyone going to see your baw bags?

JPR
    Free Member

Not really jeans but hey they fit and can look both smart and casual – and look better than they do in the pic: http://www.next.co.uk/g49328s1

They claim to be straight, but the fit is quite slim if you have legs. Still the stretch helps a lot and after a few wears they loosen out a touch.

spicypedro
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem and found that Levis 505 (a fitted but quite comfortable fit on me) and 506 (slightly looser on the thighs than the 505s) fit best.

Give them a try.

I’m 6’4″, 14st, 32″ waist with long legs and pretty big quads. I offer these details as a guide to the fit of the jeans, not as a pickup line.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

spicypedro – Member

I’m 6’4″, 14st, 32″ waist with long legs and pretty big quads. I offer these details as a guide to the fit of the jeans, not as a pickup line.

With your name, and stats like that, I’d be surprised if you don’t get a few inbox messages.

alwillis

http://www.hiutdenim.co.uk were recommended when I asked a similar question. They are pricey, but mine don’t look like I have worn them at all 2 months later.

Good fit for me with a 34 waist (to allow leg room) and 32 leg (so not dragging on the floor). Still have to wear a belt though.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Look for “Tapered” fit if you don’t want B-Boy style. Wider on the thighs but still slim on the calves.

G-Star always have a couple of ‘classic’ denim models without all the artificial aging. Something like this

Asos is good for this sort of stuff as you can filter by style, size etc

miketually
    Free Member

I’m 1.78m and 68kg. Jeans that fit me:

* 32R H&M
    * 32R Howies
    * 32R Uniqlo

trail_rat
    Free Member

carhartt or dickies fashion ranges – not the cheapo shapeless workwear – usually retro cut do me fine and the denims nice and thick , shapes really well, cant stand levis piss thin expensive denim.

Coyote
    Free Member

Thinking outside of the box for a moment.

Try drinking more beer. This will help your waist to catch up to your thighs! Easy.

njee20
    Free Member

Gap for me.

ahwiles
    Free Member

what is this ‘cyclist physique’? – my legs are extremely skinny.

6’1″ – just clinging onto 12 stone, and that’s only because i eat so many pies, and chips, and crisps… etc.

(massive arse though)

njee20
    Free Member

I’m the same as rOcKeTdOg – small (30″) waist, big thighs. Most jeans look like they’re painted on my thighs, or gape on my waist.

brassneck

Howies, but mainly because their 34″ hang off me and make me feel well reeam, when the physical evidence is clearly to the contrary.

scaled
    Free Member

what is this ‘cyclist physique’? – my legs are extremely skinny.

6’1″ – just clinging onto 12 stone, and that’s only because i eat so many pies, and chips, and crisps… etc.

(massive arse though)

I’m the same! 6’2 12 stone, 30″ waist and an arse that sticks right out. Legs are well defined but not massive

bikebouy
    Free Member

I have both Rapha & Levis Commuter jeans and both are very good fits.

The Levis are a “looser” fit and slim waist even if they are of the skinny type, ok slim rather than skinny. Also you can’t see the seat pad in them and they only have 1 extra layer of denim in that region anyhoo’s so it makes no differance.
    The Rapha jeans don’t have extra padding nor layers, they’re just a different treated denim with a bit of stretch. They are not the same fit as the Levis, Raphas are slim and thats it, they stretch well but from what you say you’ll probably not fit in them,

Of the two models, I prefer Rapha but then they fit me, thats why I like them. I’ve been using them for 3 years now and have 3 pairs.

Never tried any other cycling branded jeans.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Perfect cyclist physique. Pretty much the same as me, although Im a bit more ripped as a do zumba classes at the gym twice a week.

kayak23

You need Jeggings…

rOcKeTdOg

Cheers, some interesting posts here to check out, thanks all

kiwijohn

Carhartt slim pant. Last for years.

timc
    Free Member

What you need is a taper straight or loose fit Jean, lots out there.

As Above EDWIN ED55 are nice, I recently got a pair from their website for half price in the sale.

Nudie do a good range, lots of options, worth checking out

Ted Baker now do a good jean worth checking.

Also J-Brand but getting into silly money!

Get down to Selridges in Birmingham & try a load on!

_tom_
    Free Member

what is this ‘cyclist physique’?

I don’t get it either, I cycle loads and squat 3x a week as part of stronglifts 5×5 and still manage to fit into any brand of slim fit jeans. My legs aren’t exactly skinny either. I find tightness around the calves to be a bigger issue actually!

TooTall
    Free Member

Levi 569 are reasonable on the thighs.

I find tightness around the calves to be a bigger issue actually!

We’re not talking fashionable kids skinny jeans here, sonny. This is old man cyclist clothing with none of yer hipster yoof going on.

timc
    Free Member

Levi 569 are a loose straight leg, modern day flares!

MrSmith
    Free Member

I don’t get it either, I cycle loads and squat 3x a week as part of stronglifts 5×5 and still manage to fit into any brand of slim fit jeans. My legs aren’t exactly skinny either. I find tightness around the calves to be a bigger issue actually!

But it’s all about the waist. I’m really skinny 6ft1 and 66kg with a 29in waist but I either have to wear 30in jeans and be able to put my arm down the waistband or buy 28’s and not be able to bend over or sit down. Thankfully I found jeans that come in a 29 (28 too small-30 to big) and have enough glute and upper thigh room. (Edwin ED-55 or Albam straight cut) I also prefer a higher rise which means the belt is at the narrowest part of the waist not on the hips.
    I have zero gut flab so if I was carrying a bit more round the middle a 30 would fit and give more legroom.

nbt

I’m pretty thin except for my thighs (edit – and my beer belly. before Mrs NBT pipes up to point that bit out too) . I tried on the Levi 506s recommended above and found them to be uncomfortably tight on my thighs

If you don’t mind your manners I might pose for a selfie as per the pic above 😉 (the one with the bike not the one with the jeggings)

kimbers

had this problem for years, I think it was doing my extra long paper round on my bmx as a kid

either way ive got thighs like tree trunks

after a lot of searching I found quicksilver relaxed fit work quite well, theres a shop at xscape at milton keynes I make an annual xmas sale trip

i recently got some animal ones from sport pursuit that werent too bad a bit tight on the thighs but theyve stretched out

banks
    Free Member

+1 for howies, huit, edwin tapered jeans, last for years too so well worth the money. I struggle to get past my knees on anything else tbh.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You could of course just get some god awful flares and tuck them into your socks.. You know, like they do in Warrington. 😆

ads678

Yep, i’m in the same boat. always had massive thighs and always struggled to find jeans and work trouser to fit. I’ve had a few pairs of Carhartt jeans/trousers and they are a good fit, but got a couple of pairs of Next jeans recently and the loose fit ones fit me like straight fit. I do have a 36″ waist though. 😳

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘jeans for cyclists (not for riding in)?’ is closed to new replies.