Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)
  • Jeans buying – not a simple process!
  • ericemel
    Free Member

Nobody said they were, but I still don’t see why it is important that I know all about a brand so that I can buy some jeans ?

It is certainly not essential – but there are some good reasons around environmental ethics, company choice, people choice.

Companies such as Hiut certainly make a good case to throw money some at – product aside.
    http://hiutdenim.co.uk/blogs/story/5156362-our-town-is-going-to-make-jeans-again

Yet Diesel – from their site – I cannot find a single reason why they should have my money.
    http://www.diesel.com/

ohnohesback
    Free Member

When one reaches a certain age one should foreswear jeans in favour of a mature sartorial elegance.

Solo
    Free Member

Smiffy, innit.

binners

When one reaches a certain age one should foreswear jeans in favour of a mature sartorial elegance.

Those elasticated waistband trousers you see in the back of Sunday supplements? 😀

ericemel
    Free Member

OMG my wife just got maternity jeans – they look like the comfiest things ever.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It is certainly not essential – but there are some good reasons around environmental ethics, company choice, people choice.

Companies such as Hiut certainly make a good case to throw money some at – product aside.
    http://hiutdenim.co.uk/blogs/story/5156362-our-town-is-going-to-make-jeans-again

Yet Diesel – from their site – I cannot find a single reason why they should have my money.
    http://www.diesel.com/

What he said. If you’re spending a reasonable amount of money, you may as well get something that benefits you and a small business, as opposed to a holding company, not to mention the environmental side of things: http://thestream.howies.co.uk/post/74072455960/organic-cotton-cotton-is-one-of-the-most-heavily

My little dig at Superdry is because I feel it’s a misleading brand. Credit where it’s due as it’s exceptionally good at what it does, but it was set-up pure and simple to sell cheap-ish clothes at a premium, and trades on misleading messages/branding. For the price charged for a product I see no apparent product benefit to anyone other than the shareholders (unless of course Superdry is designed around your body shape; in which case go you!) and the need to cover some very expensive retail overheads. That irks me, but I’d understand why it doesn’t irk others.

OMG my wife just got maternity jeans – they look like the comfiest things ever.

My other half still wears hers. Our daughter is over a year old now. 🙂

norbert-colon

Reformed Jeans snob here. Used to only ever buy Diesel or similar designer types. £100-£150 ish per pair.

I too used to justify the fact that they were better quality and lasted longer.

Have a bit less spare cash now and mostly buy Gap jeans nowadays, preferably in the sale.

Much cheaper, just as good (if not better fit, due to multiple options) and guess what – they last just as long.

If you fancy the spendy designer ones, because you want them and can afford them, then that’s fine. Just don’t kid yourself they’ll last longer 😉

ericemel
    Free Member

If you fancy the spendy designer ones, because you want them and can afford them, then that’s fine. Just don’t kid yourself they’ll last longer

I am definitely not suggesting typical designer – rather heritage – and yes they will last longer.

On the flip side, I agree – diesel (or even stock levi) vs gap – i would expect little difference in wear. But something well made (triple stitched inseams, double lined pockets etc etc) will, for sure.

chewkw
    Free Member

I have never bought jeans more than £35 or £40 including Diesel, French CUK, Duck & Cover etc, as I bought them during sales. The last two/three jeans (think they are a bit skinny and apparently fashionable – not into fashion me just want strong pockets) I bought only cost me £17.50 each from Debenhams so there you go no need to spend crazy money.

However, if you wish to spend £100 or more per jeans so be it the more the merrier so long as I buy them during sales. :mrgreen:

MrSmith
    Free Member

My little dig at Superdry is because I feel it’s a misleading brand

A brand created from nothing with no other selling point apart from a meaningless mixed language logo, the clothes themselves are not better made, well designed or longer lasting than other brands also they have a logo on them (usually on the shoulder) they are just a cheaper version of stone island with that idiotic button on label on the sleeve.
    I guess middle aged men feel comfortable wearing what other middle aged men wear and being able to see the logo on people’s shoulders while you queue for beer/petrol/fish and chips means you feel part of a familiar tribe of mediocrity and your life isn’t mapped out by what clothes a huge bland supermarket will sell you to help you on your journey from cradle to grave.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Reformed Jeans snob here. Used to only ever buy Diesel or similar designer types. £100-£150 ish per pair.

A jeans snob wouldn’t be seen dead in Diesel or ‘designer’ jeans.
    Okinawa/cone mills selvage, chain stitching, 12oz+ or stick with Asda

isto
    Free Member

I think there is a vast difference in quality between big brand jeans such as Replay, Diesel etc and lesser known brands who think more about the jeans than the marketing campaigns such as Howies, Nudie etc.

They are all roughly around the same price (ish) but in my experience there is a big difference in the end product.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ive had some Nudies, they were great at first but didnt stand the test of time as well as my levis or diesels have. infact one wash ruined them iirc.

norbert-colon

Okinawa/cone mills selvage, chain stitching, 12oz+

I don’t know what that means 😳

So it’s cheapo for me as I’m not with it enough to know better 🙂

ericemel
    Free Member

“ive had some Nudies, they were great at first but didnt stand the test of time as well as my levis or diesels have. infact one wash ruined them iirc.”

If that was the case – I know for a fact the nudie shop in london would repair or replace them for free, regardless where you bought them, even if the first was was after 6 months.

http://www.nudiejeans.com/stores/nudie-jeans-repair-shop-soho/

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

blimey, thats useful! unfortunately those ones went in the charity bin ages ago but i might check out a new pair!

kimbers

All you jeans snobs watchout…. Or Jamie hibbert will be along shortly to subscribe you to his beardy Axe magazine 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

Do you mean Jocks and Nerds magazine?
    It’s a great read 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Sports Direct. £7 – £20. Some of it is a bit special looking but a lot of the same stuff as TK max.

They last a year or two of constant use and fit me despite preposterously large thighs. What more do you want.

wrecker
    Free Member

ive had some Nudies, they were great at first but didnt stand the test of time as well as my levis or diesels have. infact one wash ruined them iirc.

I have about 6 pairs. No probs for me, and I’ve had some for a few years now. Whilst I don’t think that the denim is excellent quality at full RRP compared with the levi vintage or lee 101, it’s far better than the standard levi, diesel, etc and great value at £50-70 you can get them for online.

ekul
    Free Member

Going back to jeans, I’d avoid Diesel if you have typical cyclist legs.
    I tried a pair on several years back, apparently in my waist size, and couldn’t get them past my thighs.

Hmmm not my experience, even with my considerable derrière and large thighs, Diesels were the only jeans I could get in. I think they were a krooley cut, so larger round the thighs and waist but tapered towards the bottom.

Just recently bought some 36″ skinnies from next! Need to bulk up!

weeksy

I tried on about 15 pairs of jeans in various shops today, sadly I came out spending nothing more than £1.60 on a Gingerbread man for my son.
    I just can’t find any 34″ waists that fit my thighs ! Once I get the up, the waist is fine.. but… the legs.. are just a no.

CountZero

howsyourdad1 – Member
    This thread is fascinating. Usual c#ck waving stuff including having ‘man sized’ thighs so skinny jeans don’t fit and that ASDA jeans make you a failure. Fantastic sweeping generalisations I love it. However Superdry is for jerks. haha sorry!

Wearing skinny jeans when you’re a middle-aged bloke means you just look a bit of a cock. And the regular fit Uniqlo 32″ (which is a loose-ish, comfy fit with all my Howies, Oakley’s and mil-surplus combats) would not go higher than the top of my thighs.
    34 did, but Uniqlo are actually Japanese, not faux Japanese, like Superdry.

ohnohesback – Member

I’ll bear that in mind. Currently I’m slouched on the sofa wearing a Howies Marino tank, a Route One hoodie, and a pair of Danish army M-84 combats.
    I’ll be dressing up when I go to the pub tomorrow, Route One Indigo denims, band tour tee of some sort, hoodie and US Army CWU45/P Nomex flying jacket.
    That’s about as far as I’m tarting myself up, I’m too old to much give a shit. 😉

banjax34
    Free Member

UNIQLO !!! find them after various carharrts,edwins,scotch and soda etc to be a much better fit and pricewise you cant go wrong

MrSmith
    Free Member

I’ll be dressing up when I go to the pub tomorrow, Route One Indigo denims, band tour tee of some sort, hoodie and US Army CWU45/P Nomex flying jacket

Is it a fancy dress party?

chewkw
    Free Member

banjax34 – Member

UNIQLO !!! find them after various carharrts,edwins,scotch and soda etc to be a much better fit and pricewise you cant go wrong

Those look like good value but are they tough?

MrSalmon
    Free Member

Bought my first ever pair of 36″ troos the other day. Usually I’m 34″ but these were the first ones I tried that didn’t make my legs look like wrapped carrots. It’ll be a good day when skinny/tapered/whatever goes out of fashion.

russianbob
    Free Member

Worth bearing in mind that both Hiut and Nudie offer free repairs for life.

CountZero

Those look like good value but are they tough?

As tough as anything costing double the price, which is £35 for selvedge, IIRC. I was looking at their jeans a day or so ago, and they have a good range of sizes at the mo’.
    These are the ones I have, and I love them. Particularly because there is no adornment; no extra zips, pockets, buttons, stitching, printed logos…
    http://www.uniqlo.com/uk/store/goods/130084
    As plain a pair of denim jeans as you can get, and all the better for it.

CountZero

Fancy dress, MrSmith? My jacket has no spurious patches stuck all over it. I could have gone into somewhere like SuperDry and bough a camo jacket that’s a knock-off of a real one, and paid twice, three times the price, or paid eighty quid for a civilian nylon copy of a flying jacket, in black, and look like a security bod outside a nightclub, or the same for a genuine flameproof jacket worn by an aircrew member at a U.S. Army test establishment, with no inappropriate patches stuck to it.
    Combats are cheap, comfy, great for work or country walks cos the camo shows very little by way of mucky marks.
    £17 for three-quarter lined Danish ex-military combats against twice that for plain black cargo trousers of something like equivalent quality; no contest.
    People have been wearing military-styled gear for years, you see stupidly expensive camo-patterned stuff everywhere, I choose to buy second-hand real stuff for less money for casual wear; I can’t afford posey stuff with big logos printed on the shoulder, and wouldn’t wear most of it if I could.
    I do have a NF Nuptse, bought with a lottery win; wouldn’t have it otherwise, my ultralight down jacket and gilet are Uniqlo…
    Actually, my CWU jacket has one patch on the shoulder, this one:

Took me several hours searching Google to find the unit. Pretty obscure one from 1991, nice to have some history to it.
    US Army TEXCOM*, as it turns out.
    *Test and Experimental Command

emsz
    Free Member

Countzero, a quick ebay search says those jackets are £300.00. I can’t afford that!!

You do know that fashion is all about what you’re clothes say about you to others without talking

you can talk about it all you like on here, but people are probably assuming you do it as a fashion statement…

isitafox
    Free Member

If you want a good quality, comfortable and cheap pair of jeans then I’d recommend finding your nearest GAP Outlet store. They don’t have the same narrow/skinny/shitey things like in the normal store they just have a nice selection of slim/bootcut/loose fit jeans and can usually be picked up for around £20. Mine tend to last the best part of a year and that’s wearing them most days and they are so comfy (currently sitting at work in a pair of premium loose fit) and they do absolutely loads of sizes.

I usually struggle for jeans as I hate tight fitting ones and my thighs are pretty big, the GAP Outlet loose fit are the only pair of jeans I have managed to find for years that actually are a loose fit and are really soft whereas I find Next jeans like cardboard everytime you put them on and nowhere near a loose fit!

Also if you sign up to their emails they have sales and offers pretty much every month giving you more money off, snap up some bargains!

prettygreenparrot

Jeans? Try these

MrSmith
    Free Member

TL:DR

properbikeco
    Free Member

countzero – can you list up some surplus stores – struggling to find anything with quality wares

after outdoor jackets and troosers!

emsz
    Free Member

Gap are really bad for vanity sizing as well, so if you want to feel like you still fit into size ‘whatever you wore in your 20s’ , head to Gap 😆

kuman
    Free Member

Black slim (not skinny) stretch jeans from matalan £18. Job done.

gonzy
    Free Member

last pair i bought were a pair of Diesel jeans for £20 in the sale. theyre an ok pair but they’re a bit low slung so i have to do the belt up a bit tighter to stop them sliding down.
    previous pair was a pair from next…i paid £50 for them and they are an awesome pair but i’ve put a hole in one of the knees so they’ll be going in the bin soon.

more recently i’ve started to buy chinos as they are seem to feel more comfortable

i used to pay silly money on jeans in the past…average price would be about £75 with the most i’ve paid being £225!!

RepackRider
    Free Member

One brand, Levis. One style, 501, button fly. One size 34 x 34.

Same same for 50 years or so. Don’t care what people think of a guy my age wearing jeans. I’m a workin’ man and I don’t own a necktie.

I buy them online for about 25% less than in the store.

Viewing 39 posts - 121 through 159 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Jeans buying – not a simple process!’ is closed to new replies.