Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 159 total)
  • Jeans buying – not a simple process!
  • CountZero

MrSmith – Member
    If you’re over 40, buying anything more than a tenner or from any store other than ASDA, you’ve failed.
    Buying clothes from Asda if you are over 40 means you’ve given up.

Damn right!

rascal – Member
    UPDATE**UPDATE**UPDATE**UPDATE

Seems Uniqlo is too London-centric so that won’t happen – I like to try before I buy.
    And you’d be right. I’d looked at their site, but was wary about sizing, and as it happened I was going to London for the day.
    I checked out the Uniqlo store, and tried a pair of their regular jeans on, 32×34, my usual size. I couldn’t get the bloody things over my thighs, let alone my bum! I tried 34×34, which were perfect. I bought a couple of pairs of their selvedge Japan Denim from their site as a result, and they are spot-on, fit wise,
    They had some more recently, which was a surprise, because I’d read that they’d stopped doing them.
    I’ve got a couple of pairs from Route One, a skate shop in Bath, who do a range of own-brand ‘basics’, jeans, tees, hoodies, etc. their regular fit indigo and black denims are really comfy, they do two pairs for £49, although again it’s worth trying them on, I had to go up a size with the indigo jeans.
    http://www.routeone.co.uk/clothing/refine/ro_offer/2_for_49/

MrSmith
    Free Member

I like the idea of Gustin jeans but evidently the sizing is a bit tricky to nail so you need to do some research.
    https://www.weargustin.com
    ROY and Ande Whall do some lovely stuff but not exactly cheap.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Unbranded denim worth a check as well.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I wear them seven days a week, for work and play, and rarely wash them

😯

Hiut advise not washing their jeans for a minimum of 6months, they suggest first wash after a year, so what Mike does is about right..

justinbieber

If your jeans start to smell a bit, just wrap them in a plastic bag and pop them in the freezer over night. Kills all the bacteria which makes them smell. Only really worth doing if you care about how your denim looks, and not if you’re wearing £10 jeans from Asda.

everyone
    Free Member

If your jeans start to smell a bit, just wrap them in a plastic bag and pop them in the freezer over night. Kills all the bacteria which makes them smell. Only really worth doing if you care about how your denim looks, and not if you’re wearing £10 jeans from Asda.

It’s only worth doing that if your jeans are raw and you’re also aiming to get really high definition fades. I tend to wash mine every 3-4 months and I’m still getting some good fades.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I always seem to get catastrophic crotch blowout before ‘epic fadez’ can be achieved.

RustySpanner

Teetosugars – Member

I wear them seven days a week, for work and play, and rarely wash them

Hiut advise not washing their jeans for a minimum of 6months, they suggest first wash after a year, so what Mike does is about right..

justinbieber – Member

If your jeans start to smell a bit, just wrap them in a plastic bag and pop them in the freezer over night. Kills all the bacteria which makes them smell. Only really worth doing if you care about how your denim looks

Right.
    Buy a pair of white jeans, wear them for six months and then tell me you’re still happy to stick your arse back in them.

And I do care how my denim looks.
    I want it to look clean.
    🙂

maccruiskeen

I always seem to get catastrophic crotch blowout

You should put some ointment on that

weeksy

I went to TKMaxx after this thread. The wife spent £100, I spent £0.

The jeans are not designed for ‘men’ all skinny leg jobbies, I’ve got man like thighs and couldn’t get 99% of them anywhere near me.
    Despite the fact I’ve lost weight lately and am comfortable now in a 34″ waist again.. the hard part is getting the legs… not the waist.

I threw £25 at a pair of used Armani jeans in ‘comfort fit’ last night on Ebay. Thoughts are that i’ll be able to re-sell if they’re not right.

sadexpunk

i usually order a load from mandmdirect. usually plenty of option around the £25 mark. free delivery, try em all on, pick one or two pairs, send the rest back. i usually settle on duck and cover, they seem to suit me best in a ‘im trying to look smart/casual but not poncey, nor trying to look younger than i am’ kind of way 🙂

either that or browse TKMaxx.

rascal
    Free Member

Sadex – noticed they do silly-cheap jeans but never heard of them before. Ok to deal with? You wonder sometimes if some if these unknown web companies sell genuine items…I’m sure they’re fine but good to know someone else here has used them.

jamj1974

Rogan Josh – Member
    …Want to try some Edwin Selvedge though.

They are really nice – bought my first pair a few months ago. Seeing as you can’t get them wet for 6 months – buy in spring and wear through the summer.

theotherjonv

If anyone’s interested i’ve got a pair of Howies mid blue jeans in 32R that are surplus to requirements.

Original ad here, bought on a punt, and while waist is OK there’s no enough slack around the seat and hips to enable me to put any more than a £5 note in the back pocket. I had hoped to 5:2 down to fit but after a year and more cycling, the waist is a better fit but the thighs and glutes are tighter than ever.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/fs-howies-mens-organic-denim-jeans-32r-20-inc-postage

Same £20 posted as i bought them for, given they haven’t left the house since I had them.

isto
    Free Member

I would definitely recommend Nudie jeans. Although they are expensive I always manage to pick some up in the sales for £40 or £50 and they wear so well and last so long that if I had to I would pay full price for them.

sadexpunk

Sadex – noticed they do silly-cheap jeans but never heard of them before. Ok to deal with? You wonder sometimes if some if these unknown web companies sell genuine items…I’m sure they’re fine but good to know someone else here has used them.

yep, never had a problem. ive ordered a few hundred quids worth for me and my two teenage lads before. all comes in a big box, we keep what we like and return the rest. you pay 2 or 3 quid for a returns label that covers you up to a hundred quid i think, for getting lost in postage, but ive gambled and sent a couple of hundred pounds worth back on just that one return and its all been fine. money refunded no problem.

saves going into town for clothes, and you cant get much cheaper for designer stuff. ive tried the hut before too, but for some reason i always use mandmdirect. think it was something to do with less favourable returns policy with the hut.

hooli

burton.co.uk. About £25 or £30 for a pair, you can filter by fit/size/colour and collect plus means any that don’t fit go back free. Not having to go near he shops on a weekend = priceless.

trail_rat
    Free Member

http://www.dickiesstore.co.uk/dickies-workwear/workwear-trousers/dickies-work-trousers/WD1693”

those have a tesco jeans fit – i have a pair that were relegated to the garage clothes pile ASAP.

the dickies and carharrt work wear you get from sears in the states is streets ahead for similar money.

miketually
    Free Member

Buy a pair of white jeans, wear them for six months and then tell me you’re still happy to stick your arse back in them.

The CEO of Levis also says you don’t need to wash your jeans, and microbiologists say it’s fine.

trail_rat
    Free Member

ill send them a pair of jeans ive worn while working on the car or the like and see if they change their tune.

RustySpanner

miketually – Member

The CEO of Levis also says you don’t need to wash your jeans, and microbiologists say it’s fine.

They can say what they want.
    I still don’t want to wear a pair of jeans slick with six months worth of sweat.
    😀

ransos
    Free Member

The jeans are not designed for ‘men’ all skinny leg jobbies, I’ve got man like thighs and couldn’t get 99% of them anywhere near me.

Same here. My waist is only 32″, and I’ve a healthy BMI, but even if I can get into jeans, they’re so tight the pockets are useless. I’m not sure who they’re designed for, but it’s certainly not me

makkag
    Free Member

“TX Maxx have tons of Levis 514’s in blue and black, they are labelled as skinny which put me off initially (they are deffo not a true hipster skinny fit) but I have bought 2 pairs in both colours now. They are kind of stretchy fabric and not a true pair of jeans but they are a brilliant pair of kegs, especially for £25.”

This I used to buy diesel then was nosing around maxx on Saturday and saw the 514’s Brought one pair in chocolate for a score and wore them out went back on Sunday and brought Blue , Olive and Black pair – Very comfortable great look and less restrictive on my manly legs !

Yak

Good grief – it’s easy. You wear (and wash) them until they wear out then buy exactly the same again*
    Next – and somewhere between £20 and £30 iirc.

*maybe an oldies approach and not applicable to the youth on here

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Has anyway tried Superdry?

If you’re over 40, trying to look under 30, like pointless detailing and know nothing whatsoever about the brand (they’re not Japanese for starters), they’re perfect. 🙂

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Generally between £100 – £150. i dont mind paying a premium for good jeans because theye are the only items in my wardrobe that get serious hammer, so the price per wear usually represents good value. likewise trainers. I hate paying a lot for a shirt that only gets worn once a blue moon.

i only really bother with Levi’s or Diesel for jeans, they have loads of styles and loads of fits so they can always provide a pair that feel right. i bought two identical pairs of Levis last time, maybe 18 months ago. still going strong.

maccruiskeen

they’re not Japanese for starters

They’re from ‘Nam

(well, Cheltenham)

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Try TKMaxx for Levis – Levis are a bit like seconds anyway as their sizing is variable and they need trying on. One girl in the Levis store said she likes to think of levis jeans as like snowflakes, each pair is slightly individual…

bearnecessities

Superdry do some really nice chinos, oddly. I just can’t face going into any of their stores; something about them are ridiculously uninviting!

Bazz

Rocha by John Rocha at Debenhams for me generally £40-50 in the sales. I have man sized thighs and like comfy jeans and these suit me fine.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

They’re from ‘Nam

(well, Cheltenham)

😆

Yeap. And originally designed by Hild, the man who started, and subsequently sold, Bench.

I remember meeting him selling Bench tees out the back of a VW Passat estate at the Backyard jam.

Ah. Them were the days…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Going back to jeans, I’d avoid Diesel if you have typical cyclist legs.

I tried a pair on several years back, apparently in my waist size, and couldn’t get them past my thighs.

wallop

The target age range of Superdry is 15-25.

It’s always nice to see a guy in premium denim. Modern cuts look far sexier than generic high street jeans. It’s very difficult for men in supermarket/generic jeans to not look like they’ve been dressed by their mum.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

This thread is fascinating. Usual c#ck waving stuff including having ‘man sized’ thighs so skinny jeans don’t fit and that ASDA jeans make you a failure. Fantastic sweeping generalisations I love it. However Superdry is for jerks. haha sorry!

bearnecessities

Fantastic sweeping generalisations

However Superdry is for jerks.

😀

ericemel
    Free Member

Costco for cheap Levi’s
    Tkmaxx for a good random selection of quality

or go all out and get some decent quality ones – I have a pair of Howies Selvadge that are now about 8 years old and they just look awesome still – worth every excessive penny imho.

isto
    Free Member

If looking in TK de la maximum a good jean brand that is usually heavily reduced is Scotch & Soda. They are usually last seasons but who really cares as they are well made. Also not tapered so you don’t feel like you have soiled yourself.

hooli

Sweeping generalisations and dirty buggers 😉

nealglover
    Free Member

If you’re over 40, trying to look under 30, like pointless detailing and know nothing whatsoever about the brand (they’re not Japanese for starters), they’re perfect.

Nobody said they were, but I still don’t see why it is important that I know all about a brand so that I can buy
    some jeans ?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 159 total)

The topic ‘Jeans buying – not a simple process!’ is closed to new replies.