Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Je nais comprende pas
  • MrPottatoHead

Can anyone summarise the French political system for me? How can someone stand down as leader of their party to try and be president? Who then governs?

Northwind

Every time I think I nearly understand French politics something else incomprehensible happens.

Stoner
    Free Member

I think shes just trying to be her own kind of fascist, not her Daddy’s kind.

SaxonRider

It’s ‘Je ne comprends pas’.

Get that right, and the political system becomes as clear as day.

😉

MrPottatoHead

Si, I was never the best at French.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I studied French politics and history for many years. Three things to know here.

Firstly,

Secondly,
    [video]https://youtu.be/GSeaDQ6sPs0[/video]

Thirdly,

[video]https://youtu.be/EuXdhow3uqQ[/video]

globalti
    Free Member

If you had watched the very excellent Spin (Les hommes dans l’ombre or the men in the shadows) you’d certainly have a better idea of the corrupt machinations of the French political system.

deadkenny
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead – Member 
    Who then governs?

I don’t think they know. They just perform the Gallic Shrug (blatant stereotyping, but hey, it’s the French).

kcal

or as we had it in our school, “je ne dinnae ken pas” 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Surely it’s “je comprends pas” ?? In the non-school?

jambalaya
    Free Member

There are a few French voters here maybe they should take the lead ?

French politics is very complicated and a very dirty business with a huge dose of corruption sprinkled throughout. Each town has an elected Mayor with quite a lot of power. Bigger cities tend to be a stepping stone to those with national ambitions. France has a President elected every 5 years and as we have seen don’t really need to have a mainstream party, this time round there where 11 vying for the top job now down to a second round of just two. After this there will be Parliamentary elections and the President will form a Governmen based on who wins seats in Parliament and/or people they just ship in.

aracer
    Free Member

It’s an interesting move – presumably she’s hoping people who wouldn’t vote for the FN might vote for her as a person. Hopefully most will still see that her standing down doesn’t change who she is or what her views and principles are (nor has she ruled out retaking the position whilst president if the worst happened).

Stoner
    Free Member

If you had watched the very excellent Spin (Les hommes dans l’ombre or the men in the shadows) you’d certainly have a better idea of the corrupt machinations of the French political system.

I did not know this existed.
    After enjoying Des Engrenages (Spiral) so much I cant wait to watch this and forunately it looks like its free to watch on catch up on Channel4 where it got a showing in the UK recently

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/spin/episode-guide/series-1

slowoldman

I see she is promising retirement at 60. I’m not sure I like the sound of what a facist might call retirement..

shermer75
    Free Member

It’s a presidential system, similar to the US, so the President and then the two chambers of parliament get elected in seperate elections.

SaxonRider

Surely it’s “je comprends pas” ?? In the non-school?

To be honest, what you will hear on the street (at least where I hang out), is probably closer to ‘sh’compran’ pa’.

I love language. 🙂

geoffj

kcal – Member
    or as we had it in our school, “je ne dinnae ken pas”

😆

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Saxon or just some kind of drawl like “quoi”

cchris2lou

anyone can go for the Presidential race as long as they get at least 500 signatures ( approval ) from elected persos ( town maires , mp etc.. ) .

despite what Jambalaya is saying , it is no more corrupt than english politics .

first time that the 2 finalists are not from mainstream parties .

metalheart
    Free Member

Tombe le garçon?

ocrider

Oh putaing (accent locale) c’est pas si compliqué que ça!

Let’s be honest, of the 11 candidates, only 5 were actual contenders. Well, 4 really cos Hamon never really counted.

jambalaya
    Free Member

despite what Jambalaya is saying , it is no more corrupt than english politics

😯

I beg to differ ! Balkany is our Mayor btw.

ocrider

That one’s a unique specimen. How he isn’t locked away is beyond belief.

Anyway, to answer the op… isn’t she don’t what is known in British political circles as “doing a Farage”? The moment the vote is cast, she’ll declare herself as head of the fn again

Btw, legislative elections are in June

maccruiskeen

How can someone stand down as leader of their party to try and be president?

Trump isn’t, and hasn’t even been, leader of the republican party

slowoldman

Well my understanding is the the president is head of state and the real job of political leader is done by the prime minister.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s not much different to the UK except we get to choose our head of state and do so in elections with two rounds so the leader has over 50% approval rather than just the most votes. Legislative elections are two rounds too but not proportional which means that the FN, greens, Modem and so on are under represented.

So as a representative democracy it’s more representative of opinion than the UK’s first past the post system but not as representative as Germany’s second choice counting system.

It works because as Coluche said:

“Ce n’est pas parce que la majorité a tort, qu’elle a raison!”

but Cameron had probably never heard of Coluche so he called the Brexit referendum.

cchris2lou

So there was no expense scandal in the UK ?

Paying your wife to do nothing or buying à duckk house is very similar.

Edukator
    Free Member
    FeeFoo
    Free Member

@ocrider

Oh putaing (accent locale)

Provence by any chance? My father in law has that accent – demeng instead of demain for example.

mugsys_m8

n’importe quoi. Il y a certains qui sont pd comme une phoque.

Edukator
    Free Member

Ce qui ne les empêche pas d’être à la hauteur de la tâche et de bien s’acquitter de leurs fonctions.

Gilles

I think it’s foc rather than phoque but well i’ve been away too long now.

ocrider

@Feefoo
    A bit further west, but not quite in chocolatine country 🙂

Le phoque: l’animale marin préféré des enfants bilingues!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘Je nais comprende pas’ is closed to new replies.