Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • JD Sports to take over Go Outdoors
  • GrahamS

https://www.grough.co.uk/magazine/2017/05/18/watchdog-gives-go-ahead-to-jd-sports-takeover-of-go-outdoors

Bugger. I quite like our local Go Outdoors.

Not looking forward to it being filled with nylon tracksuits and less than minimum wage staff 🙁

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Could be (a little) worse. At least it’s not becoming part of sports direct.

scotroutes

That’s going to be shit for the staff.

BoardinBob

I think you’re confusing JD Sports with Sports Direct.

JD Sports, while selling (amazingly enough) sportswear, it’s the better quality end of the market and the stores are generally pretty nice with decent (sports) brands.

Polar opposite of Sports Direct’s pile it high, sell it cheap, rebranded garbage.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Go Outdoors always struck me as the JD Sports/Sports Direct of the outdoor shops.

Give me L&D Mountain Centre or George Fishers everytime. 😀

footflaps

For cheap, decent kit I’d just go to Decathlon….

jimjam
    Free Member

GrahamS

Bugger. I quite like our local Go Outdoors.

The one is Belfast is relatively new. Consequently the staff are entirely made up of teenagers who know less than nothing about “outdoors”, both figuratively and I think literally. That’s not to attack them, retail is a thankless job and it’s not always going to align with your interests. They are nice and often comment that whatever I’m doing is “really really fascinating” “cool, really cool and super interesting” etc.

But other than trying stuff on before I buy online or emergency purchases it’s of little use. So I doubt I’ll see much change.

epicsteve
    Free Member

JD Sports already own Blacks and Tiso’s (and other outdoor companies) so I’d have thought they’d be a reasonable home for Go Outdoors.

Gary_M
    Free Member

That’s going to be shit for the staff.

Why is that, are jd sports seen as a worse employer than Go Outdoors?

GrahamS

I think you’re confusing JD Sports with Sports Direct.

are jd sports seen as a worse employer than Go Outdoors?

Worse than prison apparently
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/jd-sports-working-conditions-channel-4-minimum-wage-sports-direct-a7476366.html
    https://www.channel4.com/news/ive-sacked-people-for-sitting-down-undercover-inside-jd-sports

Objected to the national living wage too:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-34266167

GrahamS

Give me L&D Mountain Centre or George Fishers everytime.

I like LDs but it is a bugger for me to get to compared to Go Outdoors – plus Go Outdoors is usually cheaper and generally has more stock.

footflaps

Give me L&D Mountain Centre or George Fishers everytime.

Wasn’t someone in Keswick ram raided the other day and had all their stock nicked….

BoardinBob

My nearest Go Outdoors is an absolute grim shit-tip inside.

Chest_Rockwell
    Free Member

Does this mean they will dump the stupid £5 annual membership cobblers?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Gave up on Go Outdoors years ago.

Never cheap, never any stock.

km79
    Free Member

As long as they keep their pricematch -10%.

GrahamS

Never cheap, never any stock.

Maybe it varies branch to branch but the one near me (West Denton, Newcastle) is pretty big and has plenty of stock. You can always Click’n’nCollect online anyway for more obscure stuff.

Definitely cheap too. Missus gets 15% Scout leader discount on top of the normal ones, plus there are usually offers kicking about, and they price match -10% if you find anything cheaper at a competitor!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘JD Sports to take over Go Outdoors’ is closed to new replies.