Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • JCB Tradesman TP121 Toughphone
  • foxyrider
    Free Member

http://www.trustedreviews.com/JCB-Tradesman-TP121-Toughphone_Mobile-Phone_review

Just ordered one for £59 unlocked – looks like a good option for an all weather MTB mobile phone?

Not pretty but practical?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well I thought its quite a good idea 😉 or just use a plastic bag but I don’t like that idea 🙂

Shorty121
    Free Member

I got one and they seem pretty good for the work I do (Agricultural contractor)

foxyrider
    Free Member

Cheers Shorty – looks like it will be a good (wet/winter MTB chuck in in the camelback) phone 🙂

timbur
    Free Member

Does it come pre-set with BOB the Builder ring tone as standard?

foxyrider
    Free Member

I hope so 🙂

rustler
    Free Member

Will it run the Audi-Locator App though ?

foxyrider
    Free Member

Unfortunately no 😯 But it has a build in torch 😉 But no built in pen knife or striker 🙁

lipseal
    Free Member

I’m sure they have a diggers engine noise as a ring tone?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Maplins do one too, IPX7 rated I think about the same price.

stevede
    Free Member

I’ve got a Samsung B2100 which is a similar sort of thing, had a Nokia smartphone but i tend to ride with my phone in my pocket so that didn’t last long at all. My mates all take the p*ss out of my brick but i can live with that, it does everything i need it to.

foxyrider
    Free Member

but i tend to ride with my phone in my pocket

Me too so that was why I got it 🙂

69er
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s really basic but you’ll learn to love it. The battery lasts forever, you can take it out ridinng in really poor weather, get it muddy, drop it at will and submerse in your pint of beer if you want.

The very best bit is the JCB digger ringtone, it’s the most effective alarm ever :D.

Don’t get it if you need to do the one-upmanship with technology thing, it looks like it came out a christmas cracker!

foxyrider
    Free Member

Nah I got a smartphone for normal use – I don’t need to surf the web and use apps while having fun on me bike – just in case I am delayed back or crash badly 🙂

jonnyrobertson

It’s a re-branded Durrocomm. I ordered one as i can be a tad clumsy with my phones but gave up on it as it was a nightmare to text with. Great if all you’re going to do is make calls, if, like me, you text a lot it was just too s l o w. . . . Would take about a minute to compose a full text message so i sacked it off and got a cheap Nokia instead. Hopefully the software has been upgraded since 2009. It is tough though, I’ll give it that. If any body wants an indestructible but dimwitted phone you can have mine for nowt, it’s still here, boxed up. Got a wee torch and red laser pointy thing which is good for teasing cats and dogs with.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got a Nokia 3720C which is dust and sort-of waterproof, and looks a lot less like a fisher-price toy.

And I saw the other day about the Motorola defy, mtb-proof smartphone which looks good.

foxyrider
    Free Member

I also looked at the Defy but as I already had a smartphone running android a bit overkill for an emergency phone. The Defy is also £200!

BTW the locked JCB phone is only £49!

lipseal
    Free Member

Jonnyrobertson can I have it, will pay postage?

jonnyrobertson

Sure thing Lipseal. To be fair, for 50 or 60 quid it ain’t a bad purchase if it’s to be used as an emergency phone you don’t have to worry about. I paid rather more than that as these tough phones were pretty new to the market. I had the plan of using it as an emergency phone for away days and the like but have singularly failed to remember to pack the blimmin’ thing on every occasion 😳 It definitely has it’s place. If you want Lipseal drop me an email @jonnyrobertson@aol.co.uk and I’ll sort out getting it sent off to you 🙂

lipseal
    Free Member

jonnyrobertson YGM, I missed the @ off was that the correct?

jonnyrobertson

Yeah, sorry!

spanishfly
    Free Member

Did the gadget show not test it and it was pants?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘JCB Tradesman TP121 Toughphone’ is closed to new replies.