Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • JB Weld to fix cable stop to alu frame?
  • 2tyred

Out on the winter road bike today, shifting from wee ring to big ring and the cable stop comes clean off the frame!

Looks as though the bonding (however that was done) just came away, there’s no damage to either the frame or the cable stop itself.

As its an alu frame rather than steel I guess welding is not the way to go, and I’m wondering if epoxy is the best bet. Then I came across this JB Weld stuff (which I’m hoping I can get at Halfords or B&Q or somewhere on the way home) – has anyone any experience of this?

Cheers!

coatesy
    Free Member

If you make sure everything’s spotlessly clean(no oxidisation either), and put a big enough fillet around it, then you may be lucky, but I doubt it. At one time, Tektro (and a couple of others)were making clamp on cable stops for V-brake fittings, you may be able to lay your hands on one, or even make something similar to do the job.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

Sorry but I’m saying no … it’ll come off again pretty quickly.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    2tyred

Hmmm, kind of suspected that given that it must be under constant load.

Other than some kind of clamp-on bodge (which I reckon is also unlikely, given the downtube is an aero shape) is this pretty much curtains for the frame?

BigJohn

Try an old-fashioned roadie shop. In the 70’s it was the fashion to have all the stops and guides taken off your frame and use screw-on chrome guides.

Marko

‘is this pretty much curtains for the frame?’….What about a ‘rivnut’ set into the frame?

http://www.rivetnut.co.uk/?gclid=CLKf18jLlaQCFUte4woduxw_JA

You will then need to fettle a cable stop with a threaded end. I have the tool if you want to give it a try.
    Hth
    Marko

willyboy
    Free Member

clamp on cable stop Is this any good? i’m sure there are other versions of this available if it isn’t.

I wouldn’t rely on JB Weld, Milliput or any of the other similar epoxy resins for something like that.

Find someone local to you who can TIG weld aluminium.
    It is possible to MIG weld aluminium, but it always looks a mess and isn’t ideal on thin gauge frame tubes.

2tyred

What about a ‘rivnut’ set into the frame?

http://www.rivetnut.co.uk/?gclid=CLKf18jLlaQCFUte4woduxw_JA

You will then need to fettle a cable stop with a threaded end. I have the tool if you want to give it a try.

Marko – could you tell me a bit more about this? Not something I’ve come across before, cheers.

Speshpaul

A rivnut is a rivet witha threaded hole down the middle. You drill a hole in your frame, screw the rivnut to the tool, insert and squeeze the tool. the Rivnut expands to grip in the hole.
    You would need a steel cable stop brazed on to a shallow headed bolt or threaded bar. then screwed in the rivnut with some loctite so it can be fixed in the correct alignment.
    Some manufactors fix bollte cage bolts to new frames with rivnuts.

mangoridebike

or 1×10 and MTFU 😉

2tyred

Another thought – would using a full length outer cable-tied to the downtube work as a bodge? Its the winter bike, so looks are not important!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘JB Weld to fix cable stop to alu frame?’ is closed to new replies.