Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Jaw/ face/ tooth pain (TN/ TMJD content)
  • podman
    Free Member

Just wondering if anybody has ever suffered from this, and if you have any recommendations for treatment and coping?

I have a very clicky jaw, which is often painful. I have previously been diagnosed with TMJD and been given a list of exercises, but I’m not entirely convinced. I can usually manage this pretty well, avoiding chewing too much, yawning, etc., and getting onto liquids when it gets worse (the blender gets a lot of use!), but occasionally, as it is at the moment, the pain gets really bad and nothing seems to help.

I’ve had it coming on for a few days now and have just spent an entirely sleepless night in chronic pain. Nothing seems to really touch it. It’s worse when I lay down and cold seems offer some temporary relief, which to me suggests an infection somewhere, but last time this happened I had an examination at the dentist and there was nothing visibly wrong. She suggested that it was a result of clenching my teeth when riding (I don’t clench at night), but gave me a dose of antibiotics “just in case”, it cleared up shortly after & we decided it was probably not an infection.

I’ve been to see my doctor and they basically didn’t want to know, saying that it’s down to the dentist, which is frustrating as I have to pay each time I see her.

I suspect I should probably be sat outside the dentist in a few hours time, but unfortunately I’ve got interviews arranged with participants for most of the day, so that won’t be possible for today at least (although I may have to cancel tomorrows appointments if I’m unable to open my mouth!).

Any help or suggestions much appreciated- I’m in considerable pain 🙁

Danny

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

Trigeminal neuralgia responds well to both anticonvulsants and tricyclic antidepressants such as Amitrityline. I would be asking the doctor to at least trial them to assess their effectiveness.

piemonster

I read that as plant, not pain. Disappointed I can’t post one of my favourite photos.

dangerousbeans
    Free Member

I read that as plant, not pain. Disappointed I can’t post one of my favourite photos.

If it’s you eating the dust,Pogo, feel free to post.

piemonster

image by piemonster, on Flickr

Hmm, in retrospect not that impressive. My face and three of my teeth have never been the same. Dentist described my gnashers as a jigsaw puzzle.

Still annoyed the GF wouldn’t take a ‘before’ photo. So that’s the with four stitches photo.

podman
    Free Member

I did do this a few years ago, always thought it was related…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Jaw/ face/ tooth pain (TN/ TMJD content)’ is closed to new replies.