Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Javascript – which is the best book to start learning from?
  • slowjo
    Free Member

As above really.:)

DaRC_L

It all depends upon your own knowledge and skills i.e. have you done coding or are you an absolute beginner.

Have a look here to see if it helps…
    http://www.w3schools.com/JS/default.asp

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ISBN : 0596517742

mogrim

Any particular reason you want to learn Javascript? Rather than, say, PHP or a "proper" language like Java?

xiphon
    Free Member

Perhaps he needs it for some front-end web development….

woffle
    Free Member

Any particular reason you want to learn Javascript? Rather than, say, PHP or a "proper" language like Java?

???

If you're doing web dev then chances are javascript is going to pop it's ugly head over the parapet. It's a scripting language rather than a 'programming' one but I'd say that in all likelihood PHP / asp etc are going to go hand-in-hand with javascript…

(Oh and the O'Reilly book above is good. Our junior developers are encourage to work their way through it)

GrahamA
    Free Member

I'd start with this one:

I have a few of books in this series and think they are very good and I like O'Reilly in general. You can download a sample chapter from the website

If you are new to programming I'd also recommend their books on programming, analysis and OOAD

If I could get everyone in our development team to read their book on design patterns I'd be very happy

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

these are different things. Javascript allows you build responsiveness right into HTML pages. Javascript is often looked down on, and many dubious decisions were taken in its design, but it remains powerful and potentially elegant if you take on board Crockford's suggestions

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I hadn't realised that being bald was a requirement…

Practice your coding skills by using the JavaScript magnets along with the examples found in the book or create your very own examples.

I had to read it 3 times before I believed it meant actual physical magnets 😯

slowjo
    Free Member

Total beginner I am afraid. I'll have a look at both of those books…..thanks.

GrahamA
    Free Member

I had to read it 3 times before I believed it meant actual physical magnets

They use them in all their books, I think that its quite a good way to teaching code structure but I didn't realise that they actually made them. I mainly code client side in Java and while I would recommend Clean Code and Effective Java to an experienced developer I'd start a beginner in any language with HeadFirst.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

I'd start a beginner in any language with HeadFirst.

1) shave head (if necessary)
    2) pretend you are 5
    3) let's code!

chvck
    Free Member

If I could get everyone in our development team to read their book on design patterns I'd be very happy

Because everyone else would be asleep so you could do what you please? Bored the heck out of me that one did!

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

If I could get everyone in our development team to read their book on design patterns

now I'm confused: slaphead AND pigtails ?? (and I'm not even confronting racial and gender issues)

chvck
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – are you on crack?

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

simonfbarnes – are you on crack?

why? Does that help too ??
    I thought marijuana was the webgeek drug of choice…

chvck
    Free Member

I thought marijuana was the webgeek drug of choice…

Nah that's only for amateurs, real coders code on crack for maximum efficiency

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

real coders code on crack for maximum efficiency

typo: real coders code on crack for maximum deficiency

GrahamA
    Free Member

chvck was it the HeadFirst book of the GOF one you found boring? HeadFirst is ok if you like ducks.

I found it to be a very easy book to get into. I have found most software development books to be a hard read/badly written.

I don't think that you have to shave your head to read them but don't let me stop you 🙂

chvck
    Free Member

Graham – HeadFirst, I've actually got it for sale!

I don't really tend to read many software dev books tbh. I prefer to learn by doing, it's not great for learning best practise but I tend to pick that up by looking at other peoples code.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

ye gods:

GrahamS

The HeadFirst books are excellent. The Design Patterns one is a great introduction to that area and I'm sure the JavaScript one would be good too.

Yes they do use childish metaphors, silly diagrams, quizzes etc – but with good reason: it helps you learn and remember stuff.

If you prefer your books to be pages of tightly packed, deadly serious, dry text then you won't get on well with them. 🙄

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Javascript – which is the best book to start learning from?’ is closed to new replies.