Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Java- do we need it
  • duntstick
    Free Member

Ran my Pc without it for a while, everything was Ok. Have finally given in to the nagging and reinstalled it to be told that it’s there collecting data and need to agree to it doing so.
    Then there is a toolbar that it sneakily tries to install.

It’s been around a long time, are there alternatives or a different approach that doesn’t appear so slippery?

molgrips
    Free Member

I don’t think you need to agree to it collecting data. You don’t need it, but you might find some sites or other apps don’t work. Maybe.

ThePinkster

Unfortunately we need it at work otherwise some of our web based tooling fails quite catastrophically.

Even .ore annoyingly it will only run on a specific version of java which is several years out of date and other tools need more advanced versions.

There doesn’t seem to be any continuity between different versions of Java, which causes real issues.

molgrips
    Free Member

There actually is, but app developers often spec a particular version which causes these issues.

jeffl

Unless you have a specific application or website that needs it I’d not bother. Requires constant updating. I finally relented and put it on the home computer so the kids could play Minecraft.

Del

Then there is a toolbar that it sneakily tries to install.

biggest problem I have with doing the unpaid IT support role for friends. particularly fun when it was installing AV, so you end with with two AV programs fighting it out. ‘why is my pc so slow?’…. 😐

H1ghland3r
    Free Member

The latest version of Minecraft actually has its own, encapsulated Java VM so you can uninstall the full Java if that’s all you are using it for.
    Unless there is a specific application you need it for which I’d have thought you’d know about then it’s pretty unusual to need it at all these days. Even if you do need it for something browser based there is a setting to stop it from running anywhere but in the browser which helps to plug at least some of the huge security hole it creates on your PC.

midlifecrashes

So, can I get rid of it or not? Can’t I just manage with Flash?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

only you can tell that – if something is written to use java then it is going to need it. Flash is not a substitute – it is a different ‘technology’.

If you stick only to things that use Flash, then you obviously don’t need Java.

CountZero

midlifecrashes – Member

I refuse to install Flash on my computer, it’s repeatedly reported that yet another security hole has been discovered and patched, so for any odd bits that need Flash I run in Chrome, which does it natively.
    As for Java, not sure, I do so little on the computer, apart from iTunes stuff, I can’t say I notice, I’m afraid.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Don’t install either and wait till something you need doesn’t work, if you never get this then yes you can do without.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about C#.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb6ar-Fy5GQ[/video]

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Java- do we need it’ is closed to new replies.